Greenock Morton MCT 2021 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock Morton MCT 2021

There’s a lot of anger on this forum, which is understandable given where we are and all the recent developments.

I agree with some of what whowouldbeamorton fan has to say as some of it is true. But I also see the other side in that you can’t blame fans for the state

There’s a lot of anger on this forum, which is understandable given where we are and all the recent developments.

I agree with some of what whowouldbeamorton fan has to say as some of it is true. But I also see the other side in that you can’t blame fans for the state of the club.

There are plenty of talented people in the Morton support who given the opportunity could improve things at Cappielow.  You have to hope that the club MCT take over hasn’t been totally stripped of any vestiges of goodwill and people willing to help as that would be a disaster. But sadly that is what usually happens when fans are forced to take over their club. It’s unusual for them to take over one that’s a rip roaring success.

How about we try and look to the future and help MCT out here. I don’t see them being forth coming any time soon with a detailed plan.  Let’s start with how you’d like to see the club organised come next year. This is what I think the organisation should look like. That can be expanded to include roles and responsibilities at a later date.

of the club.

There are plenty of talented people in the Morton support who given the opportunity could improve things at Cappielow.  You have to hope that the club MCT take over hasn’t been totally stripped of any vestiges of goodwill and people willing to help as that would be a disaster. But sadly that is what usually happens when fans are forced to take over their club. It’s unusual for them to take over one that’s a rip roaring success.

How about we try and look to the future and help MCT out here. I don’t see them being forth coming any time soon with a detailed plan.  Let’s start with how you’d like to see the club organised come next year. This is what I think the organisation should look like. That can be expanded to include roles and responsibilities at a later date.

Greenock Morton Football Club (MCT 2021).jpg

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

21 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

I agree with some of what whowouldbeamorton fan has to say as some of it is true. But I also see the other side in that you can’t blame fans for the state

I agree with some of what whowouldbeamorton fan has to say as some of it is true. But I also see the other side in that you can’t blame fans for the state of the club.

of the club.

I think the structure can really be simplified. 

like the idea but a few roles and layers can be removed. 

1 hour ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

of the club.

Lettuce see....

Fan Liaison Director - WTF!?!?

That's a helluva lot of directors.  What are we to be, a board of 'directors' with a football club attached?

General Manager as well?  Why?

A Youth manager AND a Youth director?  

Do we need both a commercial manager AND a commercial director?

Football consultant director?  Oh let me guess, there is going to be a gormless few clamouring for 'Big Andy'.

Does the club need two doctors.  Quacks aren't cheap.

Shouldn't the physio report to the club doctor rather than the manager?

The football manager should be higher up in the pecking order than the club secretary, the commercial manager, the youth manager or the fucking groundsman.

The assistant manager should be higher than that of the players.

The kitman should be on the same level as the rest of the cleaning staff, NOT the players.  That position has been over inflated over the years and should be put rightfully back to the level it merits.

It's no fucking wonder that you were very ineffective as a GMFC board member, 9SC.  :)

*insert signature here*

7 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Lettuce see....

That's a helluva lot of directors.  What are we to be, a board of 'directors' with a football club attached?

Football consultant director?  Oh let me guess, there is going to be a gormless few clamouring for 'Big Andy'.

The football manager should be higher up in the pecking order than the club secretary, the commercial manager, the youth manager or the fucking groundsman.

The kitman should be on the same level as the rest of the cleaning staff, NOT the players.  That position has been over inflated over the years and should be put rightfully back to the level it merits.

It's no fucking wonder that you were very ineffective as a GMFC board member, 9SC.  :)

As Supporters’ Liason Officer is a requirement for an SFA licence- it’s compulsory. On that note, I don’t think Morton actually have one just now. As far as I know the last one was Graham Barr but I think he stood down in the summer.

20 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Lettuce see....

Are you saying Jimmy ‘Jimmy’ Bell wasn’t instrumental in Rangers’ 9 in a row era? Or their Glorious March on Manchester?

2 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

of the club.

That’s Spot (T)on!

31 minutes ago, Toby said:

As Supporters’ Liason Officer is a requirement for an SFA licence- it’s compulsory. On that note, I don’t think Morton actually have one just now. As far as I know the last one was Graham Barr but I think he stood down in the summer.

SLO yes, but not as proposed with a seat on the board.

The SLO did Indeed stand down due to his involvement with MCT.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

SLO yes, but not as proposed with a seat on the board.

The SLO did Indeed stand down due to his involvement with MCT.

I generally don’t read 9SBC’s posts as they tend to be barbed. I hadn’t paid enough attention to that proposal. Aye, nonsense.

21 hours ago, capitanus said:

Lettuce see....

Fan Liaison at most small clubs are there simply because it’s a requirement of SFA. Most have no teeth and little say. So why not have someone who has the responsibility to keep the fans informed. Someone apart from the MCT people. Just as a check and balance. I think Toby would be a great choice.

I’ve tried to split them up by responsibilities, it just so happens that’s the number I reached. You wouldn’t want them sitting on their arses doing nothing. They have to be responsible for some aspect of the club. They would be responsible for putting forward ideas for the present and strategy for the future. Along with input from other board members of course.

We don’t require a CEO; we just need a half decent General Manager to run the place. The strategic direction would be set by the board and it would be the GMs job to make that happen. You can call him a CEO if you like but I just prefer GM as it gives the impression as someone who is more hands on looking after the employees.

Again youth has never been our strongpoint in the last 20 years. Why not have a Director who’s responsible for making sure we have the best we can afford, using the latest techniques to give us the best chance of unearthing good players. Other teams can do it why not us.

And of course you need a Youth Manager to be responsible for all aspects of youth from the development squad right down to the 5 year olds kicking ball about.

I would say yes having seen the difference that Brian Clements has made at Cappielow.

Again it’s a person to look at the big picture and one to do the hard slog of making it happen.

Well that would be up to MCT to pick someone, Andy wouldn’t be my choice.

Both doctors at the club are Morton supporters and volunteers, so they come for free as part of the package. Assuming that is that they would still want to be involved.

Club doctors are not employees that’s why I have the physio reporting to the manager. You could say that they had a dotted line into the club doctor.

They are in reality but for the purposes of the organisation chart they are in the same reporting line as the rest.

Same as above, they are all in the same reporting line.

Kitman is an important person at any club, ours may have been over inflated through the years but you can blame Dougie for that.

You should never make assumptions. Thank you for your comments it helps move the discussion forward.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

20 hours ago, Toby said:

I generally don’t read 9SBC’s posts as they tend to be barbed. I hadn’t paid enough attention to that proposal. Aye, nonsense.

And after me giving you a seat at the top table.😪

19 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Kit Man on a par with the physio, lovely stuff.

Not really , only looks that way as they are both in the same reporting line.

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

Too many cooks and all that. The structure should be simplified and there should be no opportunity for the egos who crave a set at the top table, without putting in 'material' investment , getting any sort of title. 

What roles would you remove? And which "egos" would you be against getting a seat at the top table?

Again youth has never been our strongpoint in the last 20 years. Why not have a Director who’s responsible for making sure we have the best we can afford, using the latest techniques to give us the best chance of unearthing good players. Other teams can do it why not us.

A: Because unearthing and developing your own players costs a shit-ton of money, while the SFA's revamped grant system now pumps the lion's share of central funding into elite-level academies. Morton/Inverclyde has no chance of reaching that grade and so all you are doing is wasting time and resources that could be used to gain a strategic advantage elsewhere with no realistic chance of your independent program sustaining itself. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The youth set up continually pisses me off.  My son plays for one of the community teams and I'm now helping out with coaching. We have lost 4 players to celtic and St. Mirren Int he past few years and I can only imagine other local  teams have experienced the same. We are losing so much young talent to other teams outwith this area it is unreal. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Just now, TheGoon said:

Wasn’t one of Warren Hawke’s grand plans to stop that? 

Until the SFA decided which clubs/academies would get all the money and Iron Man fired off a strongly worded letter of protest that we had been put in the 'diddy - do not fund' bracket.

I presume the unopened envelope is still propping a shoogly desk in the offices of Hampden right now.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In fairness I think we did end up moving from tier 3 to tier 2.

But the whole idea - and a certain director's "dodgy dossier" was key in getting this off the ground - was that we were going to be the next Falkirk or Accies and frequently sell players on for significant sums. That was as hare-brained then as it is now.

It's great that Strapp and Lyon have come through, and I've said for ages it's better to be in the game than not, but in terms of financial self-sufficiency (which is how it was mooted) it's simply not going to happen.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Until the SFA decided which clubs/academies would get all the money and Iron Man fired off a strongly worded letter of protest that we had been put in the 'diddy - do not fund' bracket.

I presume the unopened envelope is still propping a shoogly desk in the offices of Hampden right now.

Knowing Hawke he only talked about sending a letter therefore it is more likely propping a shoogly desk in the empire of GMFC.

2 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

What roles would you remove? And which "egos" would you be against getting a seat at the top table?

Any roles that are not essential to the success of GMFC on the park. As for the egos, most fans who watched the bonfire of the GMST vanities understands which people should remain on the terraces and not in the board rom.

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Again youth has never been our strongpoint in the last 20 years. Why not have a Director who’s responsible for making sure we have the best we can afford, using the latest techniques to give us the best chance of unearthing good players. Other teams can do it why not us.

A: Because unearthing and developing your own players costs a shit-ton of money, while the SFA's revamped grant system now pumps the lion's share of central funding into elite-level academies. Morton/Inverclyde has no chance of reaching that grade and so all you are doing is wasting time and resources that could be used to gain a strategic advantage elsewhere with no realistic chance of your independent program sustaining itself. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

The youth set up continually pisses me off.  My son plays for one of the community teams and I'm now helping out with coaching. We have lost 4 players to celtic and St. Mirren Int he past few years and I can only imagine other local  teams have experienced the same. We are losing so much young talent to other teams outwith this area it is unreal. 

I agree that the youth set ups as they are organised today are extremely expensive to run. But other clubs appear to still be able to unearth talented footballers. If you go back to the McGraw days we had a conveyor belt of talent that was sold on and kept the club afloat. That didn't require an expensive football academy. Football academies back in the day hadn't been invented. What we did have was an excellent scouting system, a conveyor belt in fact, that identified boys who were brought to Cappielow given an opportunity to shine and if you didn't shape up during your trial period your were gone and were replaced with another prospect. It was brutal but effective. 

We have to think outside the box, maybe that's what our director of youth football should be in charge of. Making sure we unearth talent at whatever age that can play for Morton. He could surely do that without an official academy with our Youth Manager doing some of the heavy lifting. We need to do something different as anything we have tried up to now has cost to much money for little return. 

Archived