Hoppy Gone (Potentially) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hoppy Gone (Potentially)

ChampTon

5 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

And your suggestion about appointing two guys with no managerial experience sounds like a great idea. 

McAlister and Millar actually have a 100% win rate when in charge. 
And no it’s not a suggestion at all. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Scott said:

Birthday caird pish. Low budget, aye. Need for shitebag tactics and playing for 0-0s away to Arbroath? No. 

There is a need because the squad we have for this season is worse than Arbroath's and is woefully deficient in firepower. We have a midtable League Two forward line here. 

One of the reasons why it is so poor and why defensive shitfesting is required though is that Hopkin brought in a lorryload of sand-dancing ringers - James Wallace anyone? - rather than running with a smaller squad with more quality. That's where the true fault lies here.

Anybody who thinks that we just need to release the handbrake to see the quality of our side shine through this season is going to be sorely disappointed by our 13/14 standard performances in the months to come.

3 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Based on what exactly? Get this “the best Morton could get” attitude in the bin. We are not Ayr United. 

In the middle of a pandemic and a takeover this job is absolutely toxic. In twelve months' time what you are claiming is correct but we are not there right now.

We are going to be either in John Hughes territory or another untested novice. No established manager - even at seaside league clubs - should touch this job with a ten foot bargepole right now.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

In the middle of a pandemic and a takeover this job is absolutely toxic. In twelve months' time what you are claiming is correct but we are not there right now.

We are going to be either in John Hughes territory or another completed untested novice. No established manager - even at seaside league clubs - should touch this job with a ten foot bargepole right now.

But at the same time, every job in management has far more applicants than can even be interviewed, dozens and dozens of them.

EOho8Pw.png

Don't know what people are thinking is going to happen here. 

We're somehow going to appoint an experienced manager, who knows the league, plays good football and wins a few more games than we've been winning over the past few seasons and get well into the playoff hunt? 

Have you not seen this film before, not just at Morton?

Caretakers put in charge, Millar / McGregor likely. Tough gig for them, happy to give them a chance but I don't see them as better than Hopkin, in terms of getting results. 

The squad isn't there. Decent defence if we don't lean on them too heavily, but very little in the way of goals in the team. 

Ok, so it's Hopkin's squad - but I'm sure assembled on a 'take what we can get' basis rather than really having decent Championship level players in budget who hadn't heard enough scare stories to put them off Morton for life. 

6 minutes ago, piehutt said:

We're somehow going to appoint an experienced manager, who knows the league, plays good football and wins a few more games than we've been winning over the past few seasons and get well into the playoff hunt? 

Caretakers put in charge, Millar / McGregor likely. Tough gig for them, happy to give them a chance but I don't see them as better than Hopkin, in terms of getting results. 

The squad isn't there. Decent defence if we don't lean on them too heavily, but very little in the way of goals in the team. 

Ok, so it's Hopkin's squad - but I'm sure assembled on a 'take what we can get' basis rather than really having decent Championship level players in budget who hadn't heard enough scare stories to put them off Morton for life. 

I mean, we were eye-bleedingly bad to watch and turning in poor performances. I wouldn't have sacked him but I won't greet that he's left. Mission this year was to stay up, if someone comes in who keeps us up then that'll do. 

16 minutes ago, piehutt said:

This defence of Hopkin's recruitment would stand up if he'd built a balanced squad which happened to have the flaws we've seen because the quality just wasn't available within the budget. What he actually did was build a 22 man squad with one goalkeeper, five defenders and ten forwards.

The squad is in the state it is because of Hopkin's choice to stockpile identikit number 10s and wingers while neglecting every other area of the park. Regardless of what the budget is, it's therefore factually incorrect to say we couldn't possibly have built a better squad and had a manager doing the best he could with limited resources - that's objectively false. He could have signed three or four fewer attacking options, still leaving us with more than adequate cover in those areas, and spent that money on more depth and/or quality elsewhere.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If he is actually away to Livingston then the total silence from the club is at least understandable as they may be in discussions about compensation and not wanting to say anything until that's sorted.

If that's not the case - and the noises coming from whatever the fuck Almondvale is called this week indicated that the job is Martindale's if he wants it - then not having a statement out hours after the news has broken is poor.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

But at the same time, every job in management has far more applicants than can even be interviewed, dozens and dozens of them.

The vast majority of which are going to have no credibility in management or coaching though. Even by the current regime's woeful track record the chances of us unearthing the next Nagelsmann or even a fucking Jack Ross are vanishingly small.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the case, today's events have made us likely candidates for relegation in my book.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I'd be surprised if he left without a penny. That's pretty unusual.

If he resigned, why would he get a penny? He has broken his contract.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

If he resigned, why would he get a penny? He has broken his contract.

Because football is weird and doesn't work like other businesses. It's pretty much the done thing except in weird cases (which this might well be, admittedly. Who knows?)

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Yeah, it's definitely the done thing that clubs will come to an agreement to pay up some amount of the contract of a manager who resigns.

That may be the case where you're effectively sacked under the guise of a 'mutually agreed resignation', but surely if you unilaterally resign there's to right to any compensation, and asking for one by way of a 'gentleman's agreement' should be met with the firm boot in the haw maws. 

28 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

That may be the case where you're effectively sacked under the guise of a 'mutually agreed resignation', but surely if you unilaterally resign there's to right to any compensation, and asking for one by way of a 'gentleman's agreement' should be met with the firm boot in the haw maws. 

It's not about a right as such, it's a recognition of the nature of the job - short term and uncertain, lots of factors outwith a manager's control for which they carry the can etc. 

Hoppy wasted variable resources on unnecessary signings, leaving us with too many forwards, no creativity in midfield, and a lack of defensive options. He's managed recruitment terribly, and I'm not sure why the club allowed him to do it. 

His tenure has been full of odd lineups, lopsided teams, and experimental tactics. There have been moments when it seems like he might be able to get some things to work (and that there might be method to the apparent madness) but this season has been absolutely dire so far (with some fortunate results keeping us above the bottom clubs). 

On the whole, I'd be glad to be free from of the frustrations of Hippy's management. But he would leave an unbalanced squad, lacking in quality in key areas, and a skint club which lacks proper leadership. I don't think it gets better from here this season, tbh, and the task will be to not be complacent in trying to avoid relegation (i.e. don't just appoint a player).

Had such high hopes when Hopkin came in but  not bothered he's away. The tactics, his recruitment, team selection and post match comments are infuriating and its fecking depressing being a Morton fan at the moment and it's largely down to him.

God knows where we go from here.

We have some decent players in the squad, get them playing properly and we have more than enough to finish ahead of Arbroath, Alloa and Queens and be done with this clusterfeck of a campaign.

Archived