Match Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 21st November) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 21st November)

Admin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Earnton said:

Only away team to get a point today so gained on Dundee, Alloa & Raith. Could have been worse.

Seriously jesus wept. We were a fkn joke but don't let us being shite for 90% of the season get in the road of a battling draw away at fucking giants of the game arbroath. 

If people don't want to watch our away game turgidball then there's a very easy solution right now tbh. You're not travelling to Gayfield and standing in freezing conditions, you can just choose not give Arbroath a tenner for some shan Pixellot stream and watch the outcome roll in with Jeff and the boys instead. You can't say that you didn't know what to expect.

The bottom line here is that it is not the job of Morton to entertain or even to 'have a go' enough in away game in the Championship, whether that is against Arbroath or Hearts. That is certainly true for this current squad that is just off the back of a 5-0 tanking and is lacking quality in several key positions. The job is to get points on the board and deny the opponents the lift that they needed today to kickstart their season. Getting the season done with our Championship status preserved for the new regime should be our only goal right now. 

That doesn't mean that some changes shouldn't be made. I'd like to see the balance tilted towards more attacking quality rather than defensive positioning/work rate in our home games by giving Nesbitt and McPake much more game time. I'm also not sure that you can have Jacobs and McAlister in the same central midfield and expect to create much anyway: unless you trust them to anchor a 3-4-3 which is a dodgy prospect. 

Tl;Dr - if we're setting up like that at home every week and not getting enough wins at Cappielow then we'll have a problem. We can shitfest every single away game 0-0 all season long though and I couldn't give a toss about some fisherman's Saturday entertainment being ruined. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, Earnton said:

We are hardly giants of the game at the moment, Arbroath are probably disappointed to only get one point at home.

It's not about us being giants of the game it's about realising we should have a good enough squad to go and beat a poor arbroath who up until kick off had a single point on the board. So this point away from home against shite might cut the mustard for some but when we play like that it's just not fucking acceptable to me. 

31 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If people don't want to watch our away game turgidball then there's a very easy solution right now tbh. You're not travelling to Gayfield and standing in freezing conditions, you can just choose not give Arbroath a tenner for some shan Pixellot stream and watch the outcome roll in with Jeff and the boys instead. You can't say that you didn't know what to expect.

The bottom line here is that it is not the job of Morton to entertain or even to 'have a go' enough in away game in the Championship, whether that is against Arbroath or Hearts. That is certainly true for this current squad that is just off the back of a 5-0 tanking and is lacking quality in several key positions. The job is to get points on the board and deny the opponents the lift that they needed today to kickstart their season. Getting the season done with our Championship status preserved for the new regime should be our only goal right now. 

That doesn't mean that some changes shouldn't be made. I'd like to see the balance tilted towards more attacking quality rather than defensive positioning/work rate in our home games by giving Nesbitt and McPake much more game time. I'm also not sure that you can have Jacobs and McAlister in the same central midfield and expect to create much anyway: unless you trust them to anchor a 3-4-3 which is a dodgy prospect. 

Tl;Dr - if we're setting up like that at home every week and not getting enough wins at Cappielow then we'll have a problem. We can shitfest every single away game 0-0 all season long though and I couldn't give a toss about some fisherman's Saturday entertainment being ruined. 

excellently put 

1 minute ago, gmfc23 said:

It's not about us being giants of the game it's about realising we should have a good enough squad to go and beat a poor arbroath who up until kick off had a single point on the board. So this point away from home against shite might cut the mustard for some but when we play like that it's just not fucking acceptable to me. 

I don't see how Arbroath's squad is any poorer than ours this season and I wouldn't count on their results staying poor all season long. That might be shocking to read but it is where we are by having end of the line ownership and a takeover pending, all in the middle of a pandemic that has slashed revenues up and down the country. 

When those limitations are removed then we should absolutely be aiming to go up to Gayfield etc. and target a win above any other result but that's not where we are right now. Even then, we'll still have a fair few stinking performances and worse results than this anyway. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If Dick 'dick' Campbell wanted a guid honest game of fitba to break out then he could of course have switched to an old school 2-3-5 and matched things up to go for a first home win of the season. Instead he was more interested in winning plucky wee team hauners and his team sits down at the bottom of the league table this evening as a result. 

Sad!

Was like a training game today where we sat in and tried to protect the goal without worrying about anything in the other half.

Arbroath didn't trouble us and I suppose picking up points like that and the odd win will keep us up but would have liked us to be a bit more attack minded when it was clear we weren't likely to concede if we too a few more risks higher up the park. 

Putting one up top in an away game isn't a problem in and of itself. It's that that one up top may as well have been at a different ground for 90% of the game. He was so completely isolated.

edit: to be clear, that's not his fault.

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Putting one up top in an away game isn't a problem in and of itself. It's that that one up top may as well have been at a different ground for 90% of the game. He was so completely isolated.

edit: to be clear, that's not his fault.

Aye, it genuinely looked like we were happy just to get the ball into into the other half and practise defending. 

1 hour ago, RealTonKid said:

Turgid stuff today. We clung on the whole 90 mins and barely threw a punch. Against Hearts fair enough, but Arbroath?

The bad thing is we didn't cling on at all. We sat back and were comfortable. Weren't under pressure to clear our lines quickly but still did so resulted in defending a pretty unthreatning attack again. 

24 minutes ago, irnbru said:

The bad thing is we didn't cling on at all. We sat back and were comfortable. Weren't under pressure to clear our lines quickly but still did so resulted in defending a pretty unthreatning attack again. 

Bad analogy. I had the boxing on earlier. 😄

Archived