Crawford Rae, Cappielow and MCT - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Crawford Rae, Cappielow and MCT

Toby

MCT needs to be providing more regular updates on what the fuck is actually going on to start with. We've had one fairly detailed statement at the end of last week but things have progressed with the various media reports - correct or otherwise - in the past 48 hours. I'm not looking for them to air all the club's dirty laundry in public, but we need to have a much clearer indication of what exactly the club's problems are from their point of view, what discussions if any are taking place and how MCT would like to resolve the crisis - with or without the immediate cooperation of GC. 

It doesn't make logical sense for GC to do absolutely nothing and pull the plug when there is a way out for them in five months' time and options to get them there, but that isn't a risk that we should be willing to accept without having a back-up plan in place and ideally started up ASAP.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'd presume nothing of the sort, in fact I'd presume the exact opposite, that Golden Casket are doing no such thing and are covering nothing.

Generating the £10K a month via MCT with no additional income is where we are now because Golden Casket are refusing to do anything about it. We also have the situation where fans may be willing to fundraise, purchase merchandise, streams etc and provide revenue to the club over and above their MCT subscriptions, but are unwilling to do so while Golden Casket remain in charge, or at least until they renounce their claim to take the assets with them.

Keeping Golden Casket around therefore isn't necessary to ease the cashflow problem. In fact as they are both the cause of it and the main obstacle to getting through it, getting them out immediately is necessary to ease the cash flow problem. Get them out now and you open up avenues of fundraising that currently don't exist, because in the meantime people aren't going to fund someone just to do a runner with the stadium in a few months, and we might actually get someone willing to give us an honest picture of what the financial situation is so we know what we need to do.

It's obviously not the circumstances MCT would wish to be taking over in, but it's now a choice between them taking over now or letting Golden Casket drive the final nail into the coffin they've been building for 20 years.

They may not be putting a penny in right enough but I'm taking the rumours of being absolutely fecked that they must be doing something otherwise employees won't be getting paid and nothing suggests that's the case.

Of course it might not be as bad as being made out, truth is, no one on here probably knows what's going on and it's all guess work. 

Some clarity from MCT, DM or Crawford would be welcome.

32 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'd presume nothing of the sort, in fact I'd presume the exact opposite, that Golden Casket are doing no such thing and are covering nothing.

Generating the £10K a month via MCT with no additional income is where we are now because Golden Casket are refusing to do anything about it. We also have the situation where fans may be willing to fundraise, purchase merchandise, streams etc and provide revenue to the club over and above their MCT subscriptions, but are unwilling to do so while Golden Casket remain in charge, or at least until they renounce their claim to take the assets with them.

Keeping Golden Casket around therefore isn't necessary to ease the cashflow problem. In fact as they are both the cause of it and the main obstacle to getting through it, getting them out immediately is necessary to ease the cash flow problem. Get them out now and you open up avenues of fundraising that currently don't exist, because in the meantime people aren't going to fund someone just to do a runner with the stadium in a few months, and we might actually get someone willing to give us an honest picture of what the financial situation is so we know what we need to do.

It's obviously not the circumstances MCT would wish to be taking over in, but it's now a choice between them taking over now or letting Golden Casket drive the final nail into the coffin they've been building for 20 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rae / GC is still keeping cash flow going. Perhaps at a level he hopes to recoup via the bailout or perhaps just more money into the blackhole he knows will be written off at some time down the line. 

I'm guessing Morton needs the best part of £100k a month just to keep the lights on and the fact the club isn't generating the income they had hoped and forecast, Rae realised last week they had to cut costs.

Heard that they thought the Hearts game would generate big streaming income from away fans, which didn't materialise - this is possibly the catalyst for Rae's discussion with Hopkin last week. 

We are already seeing clubs failing to play players - Sheffield Wednesday for one - and it wouldn't surprise me if more stories like this surface in the next week. Stands to reason Morton probably don't have enough in the bank to pay December salaries (which are probably due next week) so if we get to Christmas Eve and nothing more has emerged about salaries not being paid, then we can make a pretty good assessment that GC has put more money in. 

38 minutes ago, Madton said:

They may not be putting a penny in right enough but I'm taking the rumours of being absolutely fecked that they must be doing something otherwise employees won't be getting paid and nothing suggests that's the case.

Of course it might not be as bad as being made out, truth is, no one on here probably knows what's going on and it's all guess work. 

Some clarity from MCT, DM or Crawford would be welcome.

The players were all on part furlough throughout pre season. We've only had one full pay day to contend with since the start of the season - and we've had the season ticket money. 

If GC aren't putting anything in, this seems like exactly the moment when we'd start struggling to pay players. 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

MCT needs to be providing more regular updates on what the fuck is actually going on to start with. We've had one fairly detailed statement at the end of last week but things have progressed with the various media reports - correct or otherwise - in the past 48 hours. I'm not looking for them to air all the club's dirty laundry in public, but we need to have a much clearer indication of what exactly the club's problems are from their point of view, what discussions if any are taking place and how MCT would like to resolve the crisis - with or without the immediate cooperation of GC. 

It doesn't make logical sense for GC to do absolutely nothing and pull the plug when there is a way out for them in five months' time and options to get them there, but that isn't a risk that we should be willing to accept without having a back-up plan in place and ideally started up ASAP.

A detailed plan for the future would be good. Something we can all buy into. There are a lot of fans who haven't joined, me included, who want to see what MCTs plan is for the club before committing.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

27 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

A detailed plan for the future would be good. Something we can all buy into. There are a lot of fans who haven't joined, me included, who want to see what MCTs plan is for the club before committing.

Genuine question, but what would you want to see in that plan that hasn't been made public or why would you hold off at the moment? 

Ultimately the club are going to raise money through MCT membership as well as larger donations and intend to trade conventionally as a football club generating (hopefully) more revenue than the current owners have been doing. 

That revenue goes towards the team and hopefully improves on field performance. 

I wouldn't say it's a guarantee that we will spend more on the team than we have been spending the last few seasons (this season excepted) because we will now have to live within our means, as well as build up some reserves in the bank. 

But the more members we have, the bigger the budget and the more ambitious the plans can and will be. 

52 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Surely that’s a bit counter intuitive?

So you, and perhaps many others, hold off joining MCT because you want to see detailed plans. Let’s see you then see those plans, decide they aren’t ambitious enough, so don’t join. But they only weren’t ambitious enough cause they didn’t have as many members as they could have, because you hadn’t joined in the first place.

Similarly, MCT do release a plan which prompts loads of additional fans to sign up. That plan is immediately then wrong and needs to be started again.

1 hour ago, StuartTon said:

So you, and perhaps many others, hold off joining MCT because you want to see detailed plans. Let’s see you then see those plans, decide they aren’t ambitious enough, so don’t join. But they only weren’t ambitious enough cause they didn’t have as many members as they could have, because you hadn’t joined in the first place.

Similarly, MCT do release a plan which prompts loads of additional fans to sign up. That plan is immediately then wrong and needs to be started again.

Agree. 

The more members there are from an early stage is surely only a good thing for the group and the plans they are coming up with.  

Ultimately there are no other options that I think are more desirable than MCT. I am hugely impressed by the amount of work they have put in and the professionalism shown thus far. 

If MCT could get a similar number of members as matches the home crowds (1,200 to 1,500) I feel the club would be in a great place financially and would have genuine Premiership aspirations. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Did that setup definitely end at the end of pre season?

I'm not certain, to be honest. I had seen that this was the arrangement at least up till that point, and I hesitated before writing that they only had one full pay day - but I thought at worst someone would correct me and say that haven't even had that!

4 hours ago, StuartTon said:

MCT managed this initially by having incremental steps so could do the same here. 

They've got two members on the Morton board now so hopefully they can get their cost saving and revenue raising policies started and published soon as part of the transition. They seemed confident they would be successful so that might encourage people once some more info comes out too. 

It would be good to hear something come out of Cappielow soon though apart from quotes from tabloids and an assistant manager who seems to like making headlines for himself. 

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

MCT managed this initially by having incremental steps so could do the same here. 

They've got two members on the Morton board now so hopefully they can get their cost saving and revenue raising policies started and published soon as part of the transition. They seemed confident they would be successful so that might encourage people once some more info comes out too. 

It would be good to hear something come out of Cappielow soon though apart from quotes from tabloids and an assistant manager who seems to like making headlines for himself. 

I think that last sentence is unfair. If McElhone had not gone public we would all be in the dark about how bad it is just now. 

2 minutes ago, HamCam said:

I think that last sentence is unfair. If McElhone had not gone public we would all be in the dark about how bad it is just now. 

Sounds like it's not all that bad. It's not the first time he's sensationalised things. 

On 12/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, HamCam said:

I am an out of towner who has not yet committed to MCT.  initially, I was put off by the GMST experience, a concern this path would only ensure the Raes reduced or as it appears, stopped paying their share of running costs and watching as the  budget was used to assemble a bloated and imbalanced squad . In the current circumstances, the only thing stopping me signing up is the Rae issue.

I'm in the same boat.  In an ideal world we'd sever all ties with the Rae's,  welcome a new, competent board of directors who'd run the club to its maximum efficiency and MCT money would be there solely to help us progress on the pitch.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

I didn’t really read his comments as trying to expose or excuse anything - it read more to me like acknowledging Hopkin made contributions that went above and beyond if he wanted to do things that were strictly speaking outside of the budget but that he thought would make a difference or give us an edge. I think (and certainly hope) that what he said was blown out of proportion. 

Archived