Just One Cornetto - A Greenock Morton Podcast - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Just One Cornetto - A Greenock Morton Podcast

Admin

• 2 weeks later...

Ahead of tomorrow's match, Dean spoke to Andrew Moffat on The Wyness Shuffle podcast, discussing Morton's season so far and his thoughts on facing Inverness. You can listen below, with Dean's interview beginning on 54 minutes.

Dean, Craig and Alan (who was plagued with a few tech glitches) give their verdict on both Morton's draws against Partick and Hamilton, discuss Gus MacPherson's future (again...), as well as their in-depth analysis of Morton's Q+A video that was released last week.

• Upvote 2

On 11/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, Admin said:

Dean, Craig and Alan (who was plagued with a few tech glitches) give their verdict on both Morton's draws against Partick and Hamilton, discuss Gus MacPherson's future (again...), as well as their in-depth analysis of Morton's Q+A video that was released last week.

Don't always agree with some of the comments but then that's football. But I thought the discussion around the Q&A and MCT was spot on. Anyone I have spoken to are all of the same opinion and all have brought up the same concerns. I have no doubt there are folks within the MCT leadership team who share those concerns and are trying to have them resolved asap. MCT need to sort out their house as a matter of urgency I would say, maybe controversially, before we fix things on the park. What happens off the park affects what happens on the park and right now off the park looks as bad or maybe even worse than what's on the park. Someone in MCT needs to step up to the mark and sort both MCT and GMFC out. Some folks may say that that is Graham McLennan's job but the guy has his own personal issues to deal with and somebody else needs to man up and take control in the meantime or else this adventure is going to fall flat on it's face.  

Edited by 9 Strathblane Crescent
  • Upvote 1
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

I hadn't really considered the prospect of gus as the director of football type role if we can't afford to get rid of him. I actually think he'd be pretty good in that role and the point about having the time to build relationships around the game is something I could only see as a positive for the club. 

It would also allow a younger less experienced manager to come in with new ideas and concentrate on the performances on the pitch. 

Only real negative I can think of is that the players having their former manager as their new gaffers line manager might lead to the young managers authority being tested by the players. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I highly doubt if gus got sacked he want to join as like a director of football and like the guys were saying in the podcast the amount of damage that has been done on the park with how badly we have played is a massive nail in the coffin and I doubt most people who have him anywhere near morton ever again. 

The whole MCT thing seems like it's going to come tumbling down and fall flat on its face unless we see serious changes by the board. I know it's early days but the signs are really concerning. The fact we have absolutely nobody who has any football knowledge on the board makes the whole thing even more laughable. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of what was said on the podcast but punting a guy upstairs often ends badly, and that's doubly true when you're basically doing it because you can't or don't want to get rid of him the old fashioned way. I seem to recall that being the case with Leishman at Dunfermline over a decade ago, but at least he was a club legend over there. Gus is a journeyman who's done nothing here but underachieve (against some very modest targets.) So if we're going to do this we should do it right, and that means starting a sporting project with someone who's not utterly shit the bed in a key position. 

For what it's worth I'm not sure a DoF model is even needed at our level. I think you can get away with winging it as long as you get your club basics right. Gus, after all, hadn't managed at this level for years but to his credit brought in Oksanen and - although he's yet to impress - a Premier League youth product. He did that without a DoF establishing relationships. That's not to say a DoF wouldn't do it better, but it's not a dealbreaker. 

What is a dealbreaker is giving him yet another game in charge. Things are looking slightly better, I'll freely admit that, but we're not scoring goals, we're not winning games, and we're relying on Dunfermline and Hamilton both staying as bad as we see, which is risky at best and reckless at worst, because despite the slight improvement recently we never, ever look like taking and holding a lead. Then we're at the mercy of 'fine margins', which is just a polite way of saying we're shite. 

EOho8Pw.png

We've finally won a game! Dean and Louise give their thoughts on Saturday's 3-1 win at East End Park. Dean also catches up with Morton Women's Head Coach Gary Forbes, discussing Morton's start to the season and the restructuring of women's football.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 12:22 AM, TRVMP said:

I agree with most of what was said on the podcast but punting a guy upstairs often ends badly, and that's doubly true when you're basically doing it because you can't or don't want to get rid of him the old fashioned way. I seem to recall that being the case with Leishman at Dunfermline over a decade ago, but at least he was a club legend over there. Gus is a journeyman who's done nothing here but underachieve (against some very modest targets.) So if we're going to do this we should do it right, and that means starting a sporting project with someone who's not utterly shit the bed in a key position. 

For what it's worth I'm not sure a DoF model is even needed at our level. I think you can get away with winging it as long as you get your club basics right. Gus, after all, hadn't managed at this level for years but to his credit brought in Oksanen and - although he's yet to impress - a Premier League youth product. He did that without a DoF establishing relationships. That's not to say a DoF wouldn't do it better, but it's not a dealbreaker. 

What is a dealbreaker is giving him yet another game in charge. Things are looking slightly better, I'll freely admit that, but we're not scoring goals, we're not winning games, and we're relying on Dunfermline and Hamilton both staying as bad as we see, which is risky at best and reckless at worst, because despite the slight improvement recently we never, ever look like taking and holding a lead. Then we're at the mercy of 'fine margins', which is just a polite way of saying we're shite. 

I don't think the whole game is built on one or two players. We need to raise the level of the whole team if we want to take it to the top. And as long as the fundamental work is done at a low level, we can' t expect results.