Ton Tv - Page 38 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton Tv

Chesh

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've just tweeted that they're still to make all the codes live, hopefully that's sorted before Saturday so we can all check it's working tomorrow.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

Yes, but that's one game.  Seeing your team play once every couple of months (realistically if there's a "bigger" team in the division they will be over-represented in the coverage - Hearts this season for example - so others will be covered less frequently).  Many folk have realised they don't actually have to go to work each day to work; they can work from home and save travelling.  Broadly the same could now apply to football - you could watch your own team's games without having to travel all over the country.  Instead of a choice of games dictated by the TV companies, people could have a wider choice.  I can't see much downside if it augments the incomes of the smaller clubs who struggle to break even under the current set-up.  If the football authorities try to revert to the old set up after covid is sorted, they're not acting in the interests of their member clubs (apart from maybe a few of the top tier clubs).

If we go to live streamed games in the UK becoming the norm after COVID then the gulf between the haves and have nots will only increase.

Celtic and Rangers have sold out their season tickets- allowing them to sell streams to their wider fan base would only increase the financial gulf between them and the rest, whilst clubs like ourselves, who sell out about a fifth of our ground could find guys like you or I, who don’t stay locally, just deciding to pay c. £15 to sit in the house with a couple of cans instead of £20 plus travel to actually go to the game.

One of the very few things we’ve got right in the UK with regards to broadcasting football is the ban on 3pm games- that absolutely has to stay to protect clubs like ourselves.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I saw someone mention on Facebook that they have received their season ticket code for streaming the games. Anyone else received theirs? I've had nothing.

Got a letter yesterday saying they had no email address for me and to get in touch to make my code (printed in the letter) a permanent one.

Sent an email, got a reply today.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

The presentation is getting better. The use of multiple cameras helps a lot. Working the goal highlight in when they were discussing it, that's good stuff.

Have to say I'm not a fan of McGinty's but he seems happy to be here and as long as he gives 100% he deserves backing. But not captain material (from the outside looking in.)

EOho8Pw.png

3 hours ago, TRVMP said:

The presentation is getting better. The use of multiple cameras helps a lot. Working the goal highlight in when they were discussing it, that's good stuff.

Have to say I'm not a fan of McGinty's but he seems happy to be here and as long as he gives 100% he deserves backing. But not captain material (from the outside looking in.)

Although his passing was under par, I thought he did well defensively and won most of what came his way.

18 hours ago, Toby said:

If we go to live streamed games in the UK becoming the norm after COVID then the gulf between the haves and have nots will only increase.

Celtic and Rangers have sold out their season tickets- allowing them to sell streams to their wider fan base would only increase the financial gulf between them and the rest, whilst clubs like ourselves, who sell out about a fifth of our ground could find guys like you or I, who don’t stay locally, just deciding to pay c. £15 to sit in the house with a couple of cans instead of £20 plus travel to actually go to the game.

One of the very few things we’ve got right in the UK with regards to broadcasting football is the ban on 3pm games- that absolutely has to stay to protect clubs like ourselves.

I would envisage that the top tier might be excluded as they are the only division that gets significant live coverage. For Morton, boosting income from streaming makes sense. I get it that it might reduce crowds at the game marginally, but it would on the other hand increase income as there are loads of folk who can’t get to games for whatever reason but would pay for a stream. Also environmentally friendly as reduces carbon footprints. Most folk would rather be in the Cowshed, but  the travel time and costs are a big disincentive for out of town supporters. A 200 mile round trip for us gets less appealing the older I get. Still be there when things open up again, but streaming is an attractive option to allow seeing 100% of games.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I would envisage that the top tier might be excluded as they are the only division that gets significant live coverage. For Morton, boosting income from streaming makes sense. I get it that it might reduce crowds at the game marginally, but it would on the other hand increase income as there are loads of folk who can’t get to games for whatever reason but would pay for a stream. Also environmentally friendly as reduces carbon footprints. Most folk would rather be in the Cowshed, but  the travel time and costs are a big disincentive for out of town supporters. A 200 mile round trip for us gets less appealing the older I get. Still be there when things open up again, but streaming is an attractive option to allow seeing 100% of games.

You need to consider the long term consequences though. While this would be convenient for out of town fans who maybe couldn't make it through due to another commitment, once you allow clubs to broadcast within the UK at 3pm on a Saturday it's inevitable that TV channels will demand and eventually receive the right to do so as well. It's a slippery slope once you allow that outwith the current unprecedented situation.

Fans who are already attached to a club and in the habit of attending games are still going to be attending regardless - although if they can watch it from home for far less many might think twice about away games - but over the long term you're making it considerably harder to attract new fans if all clubs are now having to compete directly with an English Premier League game and/or Celtic and Rangers at 3 on a Saturday.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

24 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

You need to consider the long term consequences though. While this would be convenient for out of town fans who maybe couldn't make it through due to another commitment, once you allow clubs to broadcast within the UK at 3pm on a Saturday it's inevitable that TV channels will demand and eventually receive the right to do so as well. It's a slippery slope once you allow that outwith the current unprecedented situation.

Fans who are already attached to a club and in the habit of attending games are still going to be attending regardless - although if they can watch it from home for far less many might think twice about away games - but over the long term you're making it considerably harder to attract new fans if all clubs are now having to compete directly with an English Premier League game and/or Celtic and Rangers at 3 on a Saturday.

Whilst I get where you are coming from, younger football supporters are more tech savvy and, if they want to watch a match at 3pm, they'll do so on hesgoal, vipleague etc. The way they consume football content is already changing with more and more of them preferring to get their football content in short packages from youtube, twitter, tiktok and instagram. Moreover, you have young people now who support players rather them teams and only watch big competitions.

If we want to attract new fans then the best way to do so is by having high quality content online. Look at the following Roma, Leverkusen and then even St Anthonys are amassing online by having content on twitter aimed at young people. 

Untimately, clubs who don't try and diversify their income and increase their online presence are going to struggle over the next decade and that was already the case pre-covid. If we are going to increase our numbers through the gates then its going to have to come through improving the experience. Making it a better day out for people and trying to be unique is the way to go imo.

4 minutes ago, so72 said:

If we want to attract new fans then the best way to do so is by having high quality content online. Look at the following Roma, Leverkusen and then even St Anthonys are amassing online by having content on twitter aimed at young people. 

UxPmK8H.jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

21 hours ago, Toby said:

That's a fair point. I dunno how it could work in practice, but if there was some way of limiting the live steaming access to those who can't attend the matches for practical reasons, e.g., poor health or living too far away from Cappielow, that could perhaps be a way of avoiding the pitfalls you described. It would be a pity for example if those living abroad like me could access the streaming, while guys like Taunton living hundreds of miles away or a disabled guy living in the Port couldn't.

40 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

That's a fair point. I dunno how it could work in practice, but if there was some way of limiting the live steaming access to those who can't attend the matches for practical reasons, e.g., poor health or living too far away from Cappielow, that could perhaps be a way of avoiding the pitfalls you described. It would be a pity for example if those living abroad like me like me could access the streaming, while guys like Taunton living hundreds of miles away or a disabled guy living in the Port couldn't.

They could make the price of domestic streaming mirror the prices of season tickets/PATG. Then international streaming could be cheaper. 

Lets face it, not many of us watch Morton for the quality of the football so, post-vaccine, I can't see many people who can attend choosing to watch on tv instead.

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

If I wanted to watch Celtic or Rangers, or an English Premier League game, I can do that at the moment on Rising Tides - I watch most Barca games there and generally there are reliable HD streams available.  Morton and other teams at our level need to maximise their income, and streaming games would do that.  Or would you rather just let the "big" teams rake in the cash from Sky etc without trying to maximise our own income?  Not everyone is able to get to games, especially away games. I myself will eventually get to the stage where travelling to Cappielow is difficult or impossible.

The bigger teams would be constrained by broadcasting contracts and the SFA/SPFL could stipulate that top division teams weren't allowed to stream if that is a concern.  It's the 21st century FFS.  We need to move with the times.  Nothing worse than not being able to get to the game and not being able to see it.  The future is going to be multiplatform (including being there in person).  We need to take advantage of all possible income sources, and maybe that would reverse our decline since our former business model of selling a player every couple of seasons was destroyed by Bosman.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived