Betfred Cup 20-21 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Betfred Cup 20-21

AyrshireTon

Betfred Cup group draw being made on Monday at 1pm.

Still to announce the pots - feel free to speculate.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/date-set-for-betfred-cup-draw-46835

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's unclear whether they'll put Kelty into the South pot because Lowland League team so automatically in the South, or whether they'll put them in the North and Cowdenbeath in the South. Bearing in mind that possible switch and also assuming they persist with the absolute fucking nonsense of seeding the team who finished the previous season 12th in the Premiership in Pot 1 with the 1st in the Championship in Pot 2, these are the likely pots:

North

Pot 1: St Johnstone, Hibs, Ross County, Hearts

Pot 2: Dundee United, ICT, Dundee, Arbroath

Unseeded: Raith, Montrose, East Fife, Peterhead, Forfar, Cove, Elgin, Cowdenbeath, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir, Brechin, Brora

South

Pot 1: Livingston, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Hamilton

Pot 2: Ayr, Dunfermline, Greenock Morton, Alloa

Unseeded: Queen of the South, Partick, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dumbarton, Clyde, Stranraer, Edinburgh City, Queen's Park, Annan, Albion Rovers, Kelty

Normally I'd be looking at that sadly due to the very few good away games available - Stranraer, Annan & Kelty are the only good days out there - but with the small likelihood of attending games anyway just give us Falkirk, Queen's Park and Kelty for maximum snake bashing. In the unlikely event away fans can attend and we get Kelty away all the better. I'd expect every Pot 1 team to steamroller the others due to actually having match fitness built up so could do without a pumping from St Mirren tbh.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 hours ago, BishyTON said:

Given we are almost certainly not going to be able to attend the games, give us the easiest draw possible imo. So that would be Livi, Stranraer, Annan and Albon Rovers. 

Aye pretty much this. I’m struggling to imagine anyone being allowed at games for the rest of this year, so might as well take the easiest, most unglamorous route.

3 hours ago, Woody66 said:

I'd imagine Kelty will be in the North section with Stenny in the South.

Oh aye, course it would be Stenny going South rather than Cowdenbeath! 

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Top seeds - Livi, Killie, St. Mirren, Hamilton 

2nd seeds - Ayr, Dunfermline, Morton, Alloa

Dross - Qos, Partick, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dumbarton, Clyde, Stranraer, Edinburgh City, Queen’s Park, Annan, Stenny, Albion Rovers.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

11 full time clubs in our section as opposed to eight in the teuchter one, so the SPFL naturally put both non-league permadiddies - including the entrant from the Lowland League - in the teuchter section as well. What is the point of having a 'geographical' cup format that will likely give other Championship clubs like Dundee an objectively much easier path to the latter stages and therefore more prize money than ourselves? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Saint Johnstone, Dundee United, Peterhead, Brechin, Kelty - nine points no bother for the top two teams if they are even remotely interested.

Hibs, Dundee, Forfar, Brora, Cove - same as above.

Ross County, Arbroath, Elgin, Stirling, Montrose - yet another cakewalk for the village Premiership side and as good as could be expected for Arbroath as well. 

There's really next to no point in us taking this competition seriously while the format produces such utter joke groups in the opposite region on a regular basis. That's three of the four best runners-up spots that look as good as sealed already and the Little People also got three cannon-fodder outfits in our region conveniently put into their stupid group along with Hamilton, so the fourth will probably come from that. 

Our only prospect of going through will be to win the group, whereas if we had been 'Ullapool Morton' instead then we'd get through with a +45 GD after drawing Fort William and an Orkney Select.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived