Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity


Jamie_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, HeidTheBaw said:

Yeah I’m having similar issues, so it’s going to need to wait until I can be arsed heading to Cappilow to sort it 

To reiterate what others have said, it shouldn’t be this hard to give the club money. I agree that some folk on the fence about getting their book, this could be an incentive for them to say ‘fuck it’ 

gmfctickets website currently under maintanence and should be back up and running by 2pm. Hopefully they are sorting the issues mentioned above.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bob_the_builder said:

Why?  Why is it such a stretch to simply believe a lower half, fan owned Championship Club can't stretch it's budget to up an employees wage during a cost of living crisis and said employee rightly just exercises his right to go somewhere else for a better wage.

Seeing as the Imrie rumours turned out to absolute pish and the club has actually made half decent improvements in a lot of areas of the last year I can't understand why we continue to have the incessant knicker soaking from the fan base.

Good luck to Chris in all his future endeavours, he did a good job while he was here!

Not paying a decent wage to a CEO is something that raised plenty of eyebrows on here at the time the job was advertised, and with good reason.

Anyway, the simple fact is that paying a fairly low wage is not going to work particularly well if it means somebody is going to leave after just over 6 months in the job and I think it would wise for the board to review the finances and try to increase the salary for the CEO position. It's probably unlikely that there's many particularly great candidates available for the wage on offer and for the size of the job involved, and there's probably also not a huge number of people in Ross' position, i.e. somebody with a bit of experience in other roles and ready to move into that kind of position for the first time, which means the chances of getting somebody good are reduced and if we do, they'll probably not hang about long either.

There's been a turnaround in the club's performance for sure, but at this point it's still just about getting the basics in place after decades of neglect. It's not going to be easy at all to move things forward if we're not able to attract or hold on to people who are up to the job.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Like 1

AWMSC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Not paying a decent wage to a CEO is something that raised plenty of eyebrows on here at the time the job was advertised, and with good reason.

Anyway, the simple fact is that paying a fairly low wage is not going to work particularly well if it means somebody is going to leave after just over 6 months in the job and I think it would wise for the board to review the finances and try to increase the salary for the CEO position. It's probably unlikely that there's many particularly great candidates available for the wage on offer and for the size of the job involved, and there's probably also not a huge number of people in Ross' position, i.e. somebody with a bit of experience in other roles and ready to move into that kind of position for the first time, which means the chances of getting somebody good are reduced and if we do, they'll probably not hang about long either.

There's been a turnaround in the club's performance for sure, but at this point it's still just about getting the basics in place after decades of neglect. It's not going to be easy at all to move things forward if we're not able to attract or hold on to people who are up to the job.

So now you think it IS just about the financial package and moving on to something better rather than something more sinister like you said before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gmfc_craig said:

gmfctickets website currently under maintanence and should be back up and running by 2pm. Hopefully they are sorting the issues mentioned above.

Website back up and running but still have same issue! Unbelievable! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

But wages weren't the issue suggested by you or the poster you quoted.  The club being "a shambles" is what you feared the issue was.  So I ask again why?  Why do you think, currently as things stand, Chris left because he thinks the club is a shambles?  Besides the well documented issues with the ticketing website (which is pretty much out of the clubs control) what has occurred recently that points to a shambles within Morton.

I disagree slightly on the wages issue too.  If we managed to get Chris in on those wages then the salary must be in some way appealing.  I'm pretty certain a club like Morton with no big financial backer will constantly be reviewing finances but if there's simply no room to manoeuvre in terms of offering an increase then of course there's an issue with skill retention.  Sadly, football is by far not the only industry facing these challenges.  My own industry, the railway, is currently struggling with this just now thanks to the pandemic.

Agree with most of this but Chris was brought in under a lesser role and promoted from within to the position of CEO and left in less than a year. Would we receive any viable candidates for an external advertisement for a CEO role on the same wages? I don't know but I'm not convinced we would. 

I do think the club is in a hard place though as if the money isn't there then the money isn't there and if that's the wage bracket they're working in for a CEO then we will get what we pay for most likely. If his replacement brings as much to the table as Chris did in his short time then I'll be happy. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

 

32.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

So now you think it IS just about the financial package and moving on to something better rather than something more sinister like you said before?

I don't think the club is a shambles, no, but I do think it was unlikely that Chris was going to be here long one way or the other especially with the low wage on offer. I should have highlighted that part in the quote, so apologies for any confusion from that.

As it is though, the club may not be a shambles but it's not in the greatest position either, although I don't necessarily think that that will be why Chris has moved on, apart from that  it's not a great stretch to think that there will be more appealing opportunities available for anyone who ticks all the boxes as a standout candidate. Changing the CEO a couple of times a year is not a strategy that's likely to lend itself particularly well to transforming the fortunes of a stagnant football club, although one would assume there will be a clear remit from the board about what they expect the person in the job to be achieving.

I think there's an awful lot of questions about the viability of the ownership model and whether it's going to be capable of anything other than treading water at least in its current form, and if no obvious answers appear to those questions over the coming months then the question of how secure is the MCT project as a source of funding may present itself. Are people going to keep paying up for more of the same on top of expensive season tickets? This is a big, big summer for the club and a lot rests on what happens in the near future.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gmfc_craig said:

gmfctickets website currently under maintanence and should be back up and running by 2pm. Hopefully they are sorting the issues mentioned above.

Thanks Craig, will try again shortly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What's an "international" season ticket?  Is that just a matter of using a VPN or do you have to provide an overseas address?  And can you use such a thing at the turnstiles if you are "visiting" Scotland?

Edited by Alibi

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Alibi said:

What's an "international" season ticket?  Is that just a matter of using a VPN or do you have to provide an overseas address?  And can you use such a thing at the turnstiles if you are "visiting" Scotland?

Poorly worded. They clearly just mean season ticket holders who are overseas rather than meaning there is a specific thing as an 'International season Ticket'.

 

Production will be different so still likely to be scaled back (no Gerry and Andy).

Edited by Jamie_M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

7 attempts & counting to pay to renew a season ticket so far....starting to think I'll end up wasting a Saturday morning catching a train from Glasgow to get to Smiths for this.

Can you not just phone up and do it over the phone with Brendan?

That's what I've done last few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Can GMFC not just have a fit for purpose website to deal with one of their largest sources of income with minimum fuss - what with it not being 1995 anymore? One that would also make better use of Brendan's time than having to duplicate the paperwork and sort out every single nick made by the club's process in the first place? 

 

 

Not arguing with that, it's a shambles.

Just making the TiS aware you can renew over the phone, saving a trip to Smiths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...