Commercial Activity - Page 35 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

Just now, port-ton said:

Fair play to the club. They seem to have got their arse in to gear a bit more in 2022. With the positive feeling around the club at the moment they're extremely lucky to get a second bite at the cherry so hopefully they don't blow it. 

Yeah, the social media output has been excellent this week so far.

What exactly are the major successes of the club's commercial strategy (if there even is one) over the last few years? What great initiatives have been introduced that aren't outweighed by the huge list of failures? 

Barely a day goes by on here without complaints about the club's commercial failings, it's well overdue that someone who can deliver tangible results was brought in. There's no real room for sentiment in this, we need staff that are capable of turning the club round and it's not going to happen with the same people who've been responsible for the myriad failures that are routinely bemoaned on here. I'm sure people will point to the overall structure of the club etc as mitigation, but the fact of the matter is if you hold the position and take the wage, you take the responsibility and Morton's commercial work has been absolutely woeful. If we seriously want this club to be a success on and off the pitch, backroom staff who've been in place for a long time without results are not a significant loss no matter how much people might like them personally. It's a business, not a social club.

The short version, it is not a loss to the club to be hiring a skilled, experienced commercial/sales manager who can (in theory) finally deliver a competent, credible strategy that maximises the club's income in place of someone who demonstrably did not do those things. 

• Upvote 2

AWMSC

55 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

The short version, it is not a loss to the club to be hiring a skilled, experienced commercial/sales manager who can (in theory) finally deliver a competent, credible strategy that maximises the club's income in place of someone who demonstrably did not do those things. 

No chance of that happening with the salary on offer.

17 minutes ago, Madton said:

No chance of that happening with the salary on offer.

Without knowing what the salary is, I don't see why not. There's so many glaringly obvious failures on show at every other turn, I doubt we're going to need Saatchi & Saatchi's best minds to remedy them and start to put together something approaching a coherent strategy that includes reminding people that the (really quite shite) club shop exists more than a day before Christmas. 

AWMSC

She seems very personable and quite good but we need someone to do more than just keep hospitality ticking over. We need a dramatic rethink of things like advertising and merchandise because they're not very well-packaged. I know we also do venue hire but it seems a bit of an afterthought (from where I'm sitting). Obviously you'll hit a point of diminishing returns - there's only so much you can do with these - but I don't think we're at that stage yet.

And there's no reason why someone up-and-coming wouldn't take the relatively low wage and use it as a stepping stone. A young graduate looking to break into football administration could do a lot worse, or a non-graduate with a bit of a track record in a non-senior role who feels ready to take charge. Much like with a player, they can prove themselves at Cappielow and move on to somewhere better.

If we go in with the attitude that we're just going to get rubbish and live with it because we're not splashing the cash then we deserve everything we get, frankly.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

She seems very personable and quite good but we need someone to do more than just keep hospitality ticking over. We need a dramatic rethink of things like advertising and merchandise because they're not very well-packaged. I know we also do venue hire but it seems a bit of an afterthought (from where I'm sitting). Obviously you'll hit a point of diminishing returns - there's only so much you can do with these - but I don't think we're at that stage yet.

And there's no reason why someone up-and-coming wouldn't take the relatively low wage and use it as a stepping stone. A young graduate looking to break into football administration could do a lot worse, or a non-graduate with a bit of a track record in a non-senior role who feels ready to take charge. Much like with a player, they can prove themselves at Cappielow and move on to somewhere better.

If we go in with the attitude that we're just going to get rubbish and live with it because we're not splashing the cash then we deserve everything we get, frankly.

I initially thought it’s suited to an enthusiastic graduate, but they’re asking for an experienced person with a proven track record to come in and work for 19k. I’ve no idea what a competitive salary is in that line of work for the calibre of candidate they’re after but I can’t imagine 19k is it.

Fingers crossed someone comes in and gets in about it though. Best wishes to Lesley Ann in her new role.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Deego said:

I initially thought it’s suited to an enthusiastic graduate, but they’re asking for an experienced person with a proven track record to come in and work for 19k. I’ve no idea what a competitive salary is in that line of work for the calibre of candidate they’re after but I can’t imagine 19k is it.

Fingers crossed someone comes in and gets in about it though. Best wishes to Lesley Ann in her new role.

I do agree that it's a very low wage. There's no two ways about it. By way of example, my first graduate-level job out of uni paid 19k and that was in 2006. Based off purchasing power, that would be closer to 7k back then. Of course some costs of living haven't risen in that meantime but still... it's a low wage.

As such we will not find it easy to find someone who has the combination of experience, expertise, and desire for that price. Therefore I think they're going to have to drop one of their criteria here, at least one. 

But that is not a reason to accept failure out of the gate. One thing I think it does is place a lot of emphasis on the Board to help out. If the Board can make expectations clear, set very obvious targets, and even aid in their execution, there's no reason why it won't work. If on the other hand they give the candidate a stapler and say "there you go, sell some hospitality", we'll probably end up where we are now.

EOho8Pw.png

19k is not a salary for a commercial manager/exec, would get a fresh faced graduate working as an assistant for that but nobody with experience is taking that wage. Even if they love Morton, that wouldn't support someone who has a lifestyle based on the average commercial manager/exec wage. 

Even just a quick google shows the average commercial exec wage is around £30k and a manager is £50k.

4 minutes ago, so72 said:

19k is not a salary for a commercial manager/exec, would get a fresh faced graduate working as an assistant for that but nobody with experience is taking that wage. Even if they love Morton, that wouldn't support someone who has a lifestyle based on the average commercial manager/exec wage. 

Even just a quick google shows the average commercial exec wage is around £30k and a manager is £50k.

There's a huge difference in expectations between a commercial 'executive' at a major corporate firm and at a second tier football club, so your comparison is somewhat meaningless though. That's closer to the bracket of Diamond Dave McKinnon's position as chief executive, although we could well have been paying substantially more for that chancer's 'independent services'

The experience demand is certainly a red herring, but companies nowadays seem to just chuck that in regardless as a 'won't make a cunt of it' insurance card (which almost certainly does not work). I suspect they'll just shift the goalposts on what counts as experience for the most suitable candidate. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm way out of touch with current salary levels back over the road, but I'd be astonished if 19k is a decent salary even for a new grad. My daughter got her first job offer this week for a job in Spain on a lot more than that. Spain FFS.

If we get anyone half-way decent on that money I'll be amazed.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

8 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

What exactly are the major successes of the club's commercial strategy (if there even is one) over the last few years? What great initiatives have been introduced that aren't outweighed by the huge list of failures? 

Barely a day goes by on here without complaints about the club's commercial failings, it's well overdue that someone who can deliver tangible results was brought in. There's no real room for sentiment in this, we need staff that are capable of turning the club round and it's not going to happen with the same people who've been responsible for the myriad failures that are routinely bemoaned on here. I'm sure people will point to the overall structure of the club etc as mitigation, but the fact of the matter is if you hold the position and take the wage, you take the responsibility and Morton's commercial work has been absolutely woeful. If we seriously want this club to be a success on and off the pitch, backroom staff who've been in place for a long time without results are not a significant loss no matter how much people might like them personally. It's a business, not a social club.

To be fair, her job seemed to be just managing hospitality, the lottery and advertising (pitch side, programme, etc rather than advertising the club) rather than looking at any strategy or other things to raise revenue. All of the things in that remit seem to be doing OK so can't agree she done a bad job. 

I'd suggest the problem isn't the person and the fact that the role was limited. We really need to start being more ambitious in recruitment and getting value rather than just accepting the status quo as the best we can do. 

I get its a risk and things are tight but it's not a huge gamble to spend a bit more on wages, expand the job role and get someone in who will be responsible for everything commercial and develop a strategy. That would surely pay for itself quite quickly. 

• Upvote 1

I heard (and could be complete bollocks) she was asked to pump up the hospitality prices and take away the free bar. Refused and thus backed into a corner and opted to leave and to be perfectly honest a move to run thistles commercial set up (be that just hospitality) is a step up

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!