Commercial Activity - Page 76 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Blue tartan and Chevrons it is.

Correct choices!!!

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

14 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Wonder if we'll ever see a return of the retro 'pin stripe' vertical blue on white strip that draped Alan's coffin.

Would love to see it. 

I have one of those that was done as a limited edition for some anniversary or other a few years ago.  Rarely wear it as despite being a medium size, it is far too big (and I normally get a large for most clothing items).  It is though a really iconic strip and was I think what Morton wore when I went to my first ever Morton game almost exactly 60 years ago - certainly was the home strip during the 63-64 season.  No sponsorship logo, which would be a big plus.

• Like 1

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Did anyone on here make the MCT night at the chartroom? I had a ticket but couldn't make it unfortunately. Be interested to hear how it went.

I wasn't there but have a mate who was and he said to me that Dougie said we are playing St Mirren in the summer and that he hinted that Waters has signed up for next season as when he was discussing Strapp he apparently said he already has a quality left back in the door next season in Waters. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Waters is obviously a significant downgrade on Strapp, but any realistic target is.

Get playing St Mirren in friendlies/the Renfrwshire Cup in the bin. Playing them in meaningless fixtures only cheapens competitive games when they come round, we'd have had far bigger crowds when we shared a division if it hadn't been for that.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

8 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Waters is obviously a significant downgrade on Strapp, but any realistic target is.

Get playing St Mirren in friendlies/the Renfrwshire Cup in the bin. Playing them in meaningless fixtures only cheapens competitive games when they come round, we'd have had far bigger crowds when we shared a division if it hadn't been for that.

Agreed on the first part, and to be honest I'm not sure Waters is quite good enough that his signing should be rushed into, especially when we're apparently just casting Strapp off. We could get worse, for sure, but I don't think it'd be impossible to get somebody a bit better. Either way, no point dwelling too much on it in this thread for now, we'll see what happens over the summer.

Can't agree on the second part though. If we were in the same league as St Mirren then aye, maybe the Renfrewshire Cup games wouldn't be entirely necessary, but when we're not then I think they should definitely be played: they're far more interesting than some plodding friendly, they give a wee bit of a competitive edge ahead of the season starting and are a good way to get new players in tune with the club. It's also an extra few bob in ticket money, which ain't to be sniffed at. 

Derbies are so much better when there's hate figures and pantomime villains on both sides too, so annual meetings would allow them to develop a wee bit and help keep the rivalry fresh (especially for younger fans) rather than just something that used to happen. We still remember the likes of the Maisano brothers at Love Street, Reece Hands scream at their new dive, or Cham having an out-of-body experience as a footballer there too; I doubt many people can even remember who we've played in pre-season in recent years never mind specific moments like the ones there's been against St. Mirren.

It's a no-brainer to reintroduce the Renfrewshire Cup, imo, and it's overdue.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

46 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Agreed on the first part, and to be honest I'm not sure Waters is quite good enough that his signing should be rushed into, especially when we're apparently just casting Strapp off. We could get worse, for sure, but I don't think it'd be impossible to get somebody a bit better. Either way, no point dwelling too much on it in this thread for now, we'll see what happens over the summer.

Can't agree on the second part though. If we were in the same league as St Mirren then aye, maybe the Renfrewshire Cup games wouldn't be entirely necessary, but when we're not then I think they should definitely be played: they're far more interesting than some plodding friendly, they give a wee bit of a competitive edge ahead of the season starting and are a good way to get new players in tune with the club. It's also an extra few bob in ticket money, which ain't to be sniffed at. 

Derbies are so much better when there's hate figures and pantomime villains on both sides too, so annual meetings would allow them to develop a wee bit and help keep the rivalry fresh (especially for younger fans) rather than just something that used to happen. We still remember the likes of the Maisano brothers at Love Street, Reece Hands scream at their new dive, or Cham having an out-of-body experience as a footballer there too; I doubt many people can even remember who we've played in pre-season in recent years never mind specific moments like the ones there's been against St. Mirren.

It's a no-brainer to reintroduce the Renfrewshire Cup, imo, and it's overdue.

Liking a bit of positivity 😂

I think Waters fits the system and is what we need. He's a solid 7 every week. Strapp has potential to be so much more but we need a strong and stable team. Obviously you could argue it's the managers job to get the best of players but we need to be realistic. Teams that win this league are just consistent and that's what Waters gives us. 

Edited by irnbru
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Liking a bit of positivity 😂

I think Waters fits the system and is what we need. He's a solid 7 every week. Strapp has potential to be so much more but we need a strong and stable team. Obviously you could argue it's the managers job to get the best of players but we need to be realistic. Teams that win this league are just consistent and that's what Waters gives us. 

Agreed. I'd be happy if Waters signs on for next season. He's a solid defender and with strapp leaving it will be good ti have that one sorted early.

I'd prefer Strapp over Waters but it's quite clear what the manager's choice is going forward. He's earned more than enough credit to make that decision.

The background of the player is irrelevant because this is a real professional football club now rather than some Royston Vasey, young/old boys' network.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I wouldn’t be opposed to Waters being here next season by any means, to be clear, he’s an alright  full-back; I just don’t necessarily think he’s shown that much quality or contributed so significantly to the team that it would be essential to get him signed up early, even without considering the comparison to Strapp. It won’t be bad news if he does indeed get kept on, by any means.

With Strapp in mind though, we’re letting a much, much better player go without as much as a token offer for reasons that aren’t at all clear and (if Waters has indeed been provisionally offered a deal), don’t seem to be fully assessing the options to ensure the downgrade is as minimal as possible (Waters was a shrewd acquisition but he was also the available option when we were forced into bringing somebody in), and it’s also worth bearing in mind the right-back is almost certainly going to be a big step down from Grimshaw. It was always likely both he and Strapp would leave, of course, and that the replacements would be lesser players, but that just makes it all the more important you get the best replacements given how important those two were, and the authority they carry on the pitch and exert upon opponents.

Again, Waters isn’t a bad player by any means, but good enough when we’ll also be without Grimshaw’s presence on the other side? If the right-back was the same level as him? I’m not so sure about that, but only time will tell. 

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

I Believe Dougie was asked about why Strapp is leaving last night when someone in attentence challenged him on it and the Waters remark came as part of that answer. As I wasn't there I wouldn't want to comment on exactly what he said about Strapp leaving but the impression I was given was that Imrie answered the question very openly and honestly regarding Strapp's reasons for signing a new deal last summer and I'm guessing how that played in to Dougie's decision not to offer him anything for next season.

Hopefully someone else on here was in attendance and able to give a proper account of the question and answer in case I'm misrepresenting anything. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

There's no reason to assume that we'll be without Grimshaw on the other side of the park. I don't agree that Strapp is a 'much much better player' than Waters - Imrie hasn't been the only manager to remove Strapp out of the team. I'd rather have Strapp personally but it's not some yawning chasm in terms of ability. 

Strapp has been an excellent servant to the club but I don't see how moving (for example) to Forest Green or another English League Two outfit would be anything other than a mutually beneficial outcome this summer. He'll probably earn more money than playing for us and Imrie will almost certainly get the left-back option he prefers. There's zero transfer value that the club is missing out on from as well. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

31 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Again, Waters isn’t a bad player by any means, but good enough when we’ll also be without Grimshaw’s presence on the other side? If the right-back was the same level as him? I’m not so sure about that, but only time will tell. 

I'd say good enough to free up budget elsewhere. Time will tell... 

18 minutes ago, irnbru said:

I'd say good enough to free up budget elsewhere. Time will tell... 

Quite. Again, my argument here isn’t that Waters would be a bad or unreliable option, I’ve said before I’d be happy enough if he’s here next season; it’s only that I wouldn’t be in a particular rush to secure his signature at this juncture. 

If that’s how it is and he’ll be signing on, then so be it, the position won’t be a cause for concern with him in it; if it’s not him then chances are somebody comparable or better might come up. I don’t think it’s an outlandish suggestion that that could be the case as again, Waters is here because he’s what was available at the start of February - a time when options are limited - when we were forced into getting somebody in, and I’m not sure he’s been so impressive that he merits moving quickly for, and certainly not so much that punting Strapp for him is justifiable; it’s entirely possible that other, better options could present themselves over time rather than rushing into signing Waters up, and also unlikely that there’s going to be a huge queue of more illustrious suitors after him that would force your hand on the issue.

• Downvote 2

AWMSC

On 4/27/2023 at 3:04 PM, Mr.Blue said:

Did anyone on here make the MCT night at the chartroom? I had a ticket but couldn't make it unfortunately. Be interested to hear how it went.

Needless to say I didn't attend but I did get the MCT email after:

Members,

We hope you're well, and if you joined us at the fan event in Inverkip last night we hope you enjoyed it. If you missed out then let us know if you'd like us to work alongside the club to organise more of those in the future. We're very keen to but they only work if members and fans want to come along and attend.

I take that to mean the turnout was disappointing.

EOho8Pw.png

50 minutes ago, capitanus said:

The 'Chartroom' in Inverkip looks like a bit of a stupid place to host an event for MCT, it makes some of these cliquey Golf Clubs a sensible choice in comparison.

Discuss.

I’ve been to a couple weddings in there and been in for a coffee a few times when I’ve been out for a walk around ardgowan estate.

It’s a nice venue but not the most convenient/accessible location for most fans.  Would have made more sense to hold it in town then folk wouldn’t need to drive or mess about with buses etc.