Commercial Activity - Page 68 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not sure if it's the same company, but it might be an offshoot/branch of this:

https://dalrada.com/technologies/

There's also a Dalrada Technology Ltd. on Companies House but it seems to be a dormant company with no serious assets. It could certainly do with clearing up - not because I'm suspicious of the club for doing the deal, but because we don't want to be in the same boat as several clubs and the Lowland League got into with the Walter Mitty character at ePOS.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hugh-clarke-electric-bill-chippy-27484594

From what I understand its the American company who have offshoots around the world. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

Don't mind the name. It's basically sponsored rather than a full rename so all sounds good. 

Couple of things that are a bit concerning. Would like board membership votes to be by MCT rather than bought and they don't seem to be on companies house as an active company (would like to see the accounts). 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC523533

This is definitely the company the Bill Bonar guy is listed at (on there and on his LinkedIn). Related to the Brian Bonar, CEO at the American company? Notice another director listed is named Gourdie, like our new director.

I see our new director was previously part of our Academy structure also.

Edited by Jamie_M

The statement is quite vague..  "In addition to financial investment, the partnership will also give the club access to the infrastructure and resources of Dalrada."  Financial investment can mean anything from 50p to millions of pounds. Where will that investmen be put? .. New player, cover wages, stadium upkeep or even decent stewarding?..

"This will take the form of benefiting from linking with Dalrada’s IT development and marketing teams."  I know we need IT in certain places but this is usually invisible to the common fan and what kind of marketing can they help with towards running a football team?

It's now down in black and white the benefits Dalriada will get, A man on the board and advertising via name change, but still not certain what it means to Morton.

Let's hope things become clearer over the next few days/weeks but the club statement really tells little or nothing to benefit Morton.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, astuartm said:

Financial investment can mean anything from 50p to millions of pounds. .

I know the club have been commercially shit for a long time, but I doubt they would be calling it our record sponsorship deal for 50p.

Love a wee bit of digging.

The Bill Bonar guy was the owner of DepTec which was acquired by Darada (US) in April. DepTec had the same listed address as the dormant Darada Technologies company.

He is also listed as a director of Likido energy, also owned by Darada (US).

The millionaire CEO of Darada (US) Brian Bonar, originally from Greenock.

Someone on LinkedIn saying that section A of the main stand is to be renamed after Bill's grandfather.

11 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Surely the shares were the whole point of that need for greater transparency and a vote of the membership? This way we get the financial benefit without needing to to dilute our ownership of the club, which was what was controversial about the proposal for investment in the way of people buying up blocks of 5 or 10%.

Sponsorship is simply something every football club does with no need to consult on it, and if links with that sponsor can also brings some expertise into the boardroom at literally no cosr to the club then great. In the absence of shares being sold to a company it's far easier to get rid of anyone who turns out not to have decent motives, while a sponsorship deal means they're contractually obligated to pay.

The money has bought a seat on the board though, and it would appear potentially a degree of influence on how the club is run although the extent of that isn’t particularly clear. That surely goes beyond the normal remit of a sponsorship agreement, does it not?

I doubt many people would have been overly chuffed if the Easdales was granted those privileges off the back of sponsoring the strips.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

8 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

The money has bought a seat on the board though, and it would appear potentially a degree of influence on how the club is run although the extent of that isn’t particularly clear. That surely goes beyond the normal remit of a sponsorship agreement, does it not?

I doubt many people would have been overly chuffed if the Easdales was granted those privileges off the back of sponsoring the strips.

You already said earlier that you interpreted it as 'handing over the running of the club' whicb seems a wild take from the announcement.

Most people have taken it as consultancy, tapping into expertise and tapping into business resource, with the existing operation remaining unchanged. Not even close to handing over the reins.

And as for the Easdales comment - they already got their man on the board.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

You already said earlier that you interpreted it as 'handing over the running of the club' whicb seems a wild take from the announcement.

Most people have taken it as consultancy, tapping into expertise and tapping into business resource, with the existing operation remaining unchanged. Not even close to handing over the reins.

Aye, it's probably not much different from the Easdales tbf although a more formal agreement. Would be interested to see the terms but got to assume there's nothing binding us to anything other than sponsorship. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, I'll hold my hands up to that after reading it all over again. Fair's fair.

Nonetheless, I do find it all a bit vague, and I'll always be wary of anything that chucks about a load of buzz words and jargon over actual detail tbh (modernising the social media output, for example: what exactly does that even mean?), and indeed anyone who buys influence in a club on unspecified terms. 

Anyway, I think it'll genuinely be interesting to see what exactly is involved with this as it seems to be going a beyond a simple sponsorship deal, to find out what the plan is regarding Dalrada's involvement and input, how far the money will go and ultimately how it all relates to the million and one questions there already are regarding how things are currently going. An injection of an unspecified amount of money doesn't necessarily mean it's going to radically alter the picture apart from kicking the current can of woes down the road. 

There's no question this could potentially be very good, but it could also potentially not be good at all, and again I'm not particularly confident in either the club or the MCT boards' abilities to a) make the right choices and b) avoid being taken for mugs: see their initial acceptance of Crawford's "we'll keep the ground" scam.  Again, the real worth of this will come in the details, not just the press release PR statement.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

12 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

An injection of an unspecified amount of money doesn't necessarily mean it's going to radically alter the picture apart from kicking the current can of woes down the road. 

One of the things i have been most encourage by, is the language used today.

There has been no 'this will help us get through a difficult period/current climate' sort of talk.

One director said it will put us on a 'solid foundation' while another labelled it 'transformative'.

They aren't likely to be divulging the numbers, but they certainly seem confident with it. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

There has been no 'this will help us get through a difficult period/current climate' sort of talk.

One director said it will put us on a 'solid foundation' while another labelled it 'transformative'.

They aren't likely to be divulging the numbers, but they certainly seem confident with it. 

I have no inside knowledge etc, but hearing it's a six figure sum.

32 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Agreed. It's healthy (and mostly well done so far) to properly scrutinise this announcement to make sure everything seems legit, but I'm reasonably confident that we're actually being allowed to have a nice thing for a change. 

It's also a tie-up that almost certainly would never have happened under GC's stewardship.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Feel good factor back after a pretty pish few weeks of doom and gloom.

Hopefully a new chapter for MCT, finally 

1500 Morton fans against Cove, hopefully we get a few more out tomorrow.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.