Commercial Activity - Page 65 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

27 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Not fussed about the programmes going. What I was surprised about was the capri sun's going up to £1.50 a carton and the kids tickets increasing from £1 to £3. 

Hardly the biggest issues IMO - £3 is fair enough surely. I did see a guy with weans being told that they couldn't bring in water bottles before the game (plastic, home-filled ones - not a product) and would have them taken to the ticket office to collect later. A pile of shite regardless of the regulations, given they were fine with bottles being taken in during the pandemic restrictions. 

Apparently tickets from the Bonnyrigg game were also being accepted as valid by those fucking hopeless turnstiles. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Loads of clubs have ditched the traditional programme model, moving to online only, monthly editions, quarterly with a lengthier magazine style or other variations.

None of them have announced that change an hour and 45 minutes before kick-off.

This is yet another example of a perfectly reasonable decision looking bad due to abysmal communication.

Potentially reasonable, I'd say, but like with everything else there's no real reasoning offered and the way its communicated doesn't really give you much faith in what's happening. All of these things happening together are painting a very bleak picture, and let's be honest here: had a new "private" owner taken over last summer and oversaw the last few months, the name Hugh Scott would have been getting floated around regularly and let's not pretend otherwise.  I'm not suggesting there's any deliberate intent to harm the club, but that's not the only thing that can damage one and none of this sits right at all a: there's been alarm bells ringing for a while now and they're just getting louder. We've even had a director shouting about moving kick-off times to earlier in the afternoon to avoid using the floodlights, ffs*. I think if those who believe in the MCT project as a concept are serious about it, it'd be a good time to demonstrate it's accountability and potential for change.

As for programmes, it's a bit of a shame to see  "I don't buy them, so I don't care" getting wheeled out here tbh. Plenty of people do value programmes, there'll be folk who've collected them all their lives etc so whilst times do move on and it may be programmes will become a thing of the past in the near future, they should not simply be scrapped without bothering with some sort of fan engagement. It's part of the broader matchday "experience".

Also, with advertising as well as sales its a source of income that shouldn't be getting discarded so easily; I find it hard to believe that matchday programmes are an inherently unviable product when far smaller clubs than Morton seem to be able to produce them without any problem.  As I said before, this is precisely the kind of issue where involving the MCT membership would be really useful, and there's a number of different options that could be explored such as (as you said) a monthly publication or even changes to the current format to refresh the offering.

If this was an isolated matter, it might be less remarkable, but it's not: it's the latest in a line of examples of an organisation which seems to have no answers other than to just swing the axe left, right and centre and then make noises about loans or ask for more money from its customers who are already paying way, way over the odds. In that context, it very much is significant. 

**Sam Robinson on LinkedIn.

AWMSC

4 hours ago, Caltonfan said:

Don’t really see what the issue is if they are paying for advertising the club can’t turn that down especially as there’s a stuart McMillan msp board and a Paul O’Kane Msp (whoever that is) board right next to that one 

MSP hoardings aren't the same as political party hoardings. That party and Chris himself are too close to the club for my liking.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, so72 said:

MSP hoardings aren't the same as political party hoardings.

How exactly?

"That party and Chris himself are too close to the club for my liking."

That's just utter nonsense. They've got as much power at Cappielow as a single parent family in a Haitian slum.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

How exactly?

That's just utter nonsense. They've got as much power at Cappielow as a single parent family in a Haitian slum.

Annoys me that Chris often sits with directors and that, might not annoy you but annoys me

47 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

How exactly?

They seem to be in the directors box a lot for having the same say at cappielow as anyone else n there seems to be plenty free tickets going there way. 

21 hours ago, port-ton said:

Just another little thing to make the match day experience for fans worse. That was supposed to be one of the major tasks for fan ownership, and one they are failing miserably on from top to bottom. 

If that was the case, surely more fans would have bought them? No idea how many we were selling, but obviously not enough to make it financially viable any more, so it obviously wasn't part of the 'match day experience' for that many.

Disappointing, because I thought the content was excellent, but the right decision. We can't continue funding anything that's making a loss.

I do agree that the timing and wording of the statement was poor. 

22 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

If that was the case, surely more fans would have bought them? No idea how many we were selling, but obviously not enough to make it financially viable any more, so it obviously wasn't part of the 'match day experience' for that many.

Disappointing, because I thought the content was excellent, but the right decision. We can't continue funding anything that's making a loss.

I do agree that the timing and wording of the statement was poor. 

How many kids get treated poorly at Cappielow? How many fans aren't allowed in the sinclair street end when it's clearly not full? How many people get Umbrellas taken off them? It doesn't need to be something that affects a large number of fans to slowly erode the match day experience, especially for a club who speak about improving the match day experience being one of their main aims. 

I've no problem with not producing programmes in isolation and don't necessarily disagree with the decision, but it's just another notch on what is fast becoming  a club slipping to obscurity with no money, no CEO, no plan and no hope. 

If hospitality numbers continue like they seemed to be yesterday then they will have to stop that as well. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

How many kids get treated poorly at Cappielow? How many fans aren't allowed in the sinclair street end when it's clearly not full? How many people get Umbrellas taken off them? It doesn't need to be something that affects a large number of fans to slowly erode the match day experience, especially for a club who speak about improving the match day experience being one of their main aims. 

I've no problem with not producing programmes in isolation and don't necessarily disagree with the decision, but it's just another notch on what is fast becoming  a club slipping to obscurity with no money, no CEO, no plan and no hope. 

If hospitality numbers continue like they seemed to be yesterday then they will have to stop that as well. 

Don't disagree with any of that, I was only referring to the decision to stop producing programmes.

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

We can't continue funding anything that's making a loss.

It's very hard to fathom that it could be making a loss, unless they are producing way too many of them or paying way over the odds for it's production.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

It's very hard to fathom that it could be making a loss, unless they are producing way too many of them or paying way over the odds for it's production.

I suspect printing costs alone are only a fraction of the total cost of producing a programme, so I'm not sure that simply printing fewer would solve the problem. I assume if it was as simple as they they would have done it. 

Most people get information on the team from social media nowadays, so the need for a buying a programme to know what's going on has greatly reduced. In the ideal world, interesting articles alone would be enough to keep fans buying it, the the reality suggests that just isn't the case, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

There was a guy in the Port who had a printing business a long time ago. He was a big Morton fan and he printed the programmes for free. 

I was told, at the time, that even with free printing the programmes were profitless.

How though?

Were we paying  graphic designer for the layout and tonnes of people to sell them?

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

How though?

Were we paying  graphic designer for the layout and tonnes of people to sell them?

Aye, it’s not really convincing that it’s an entirely unviable endeavour now but I don’t believe for a minute that it was the case “a long time ago” (presuming this means pre-smart phone) even with free printing, and that nearly every other club in the country and beyond has been flinging money into a black hole from day dot.

I think at some point over the last few decades, somebody somewhere might have raised the discussion if that was remotely true tbh, and even today it’s hard to imagine clubs like Broxburn are cheerfully chucking money away on programmes with gay abandon.

• Like 1

AWMSC

5 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

There was a guy in the Port who had a printing business a long time ago. He was a big Morton fan and he printed the programmes for free. 

I was told, at the time, that even with free printing the programmes were profitless.

The mannie from the Port hasn't printed the programmes for at least 20years, and the story that they don't make any money would have been a line they fed him in case he asked for money.  Nothing relevant here. 

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

20 hours ago, so72 said:

MSP hoardings aren't the same as political party hoardings. That party and Chris himself are too close to the club for my liking.

Yes that is correct.  MSPs can claim back the money  from the government coffers as a legitimate expense, whereas that shower of gormless point-and-laugh failures need to pay for theirs themselves. 

*insert signature here*