Commercial Activity - Page 64 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

Just another little thing to make the match day experience for fans worse. That was supposed to be one of the major tasks for fan ownership, and one they are failing miserably on from top to bottom. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Seems a bit daft to me. Must be at least ten advertisers and assume that's a minimum of £500 a season plus the sales so surely they they could cut costs and still make a profit. 

Even if its closer to break even, the programmes in hospitality, for mascots, collectors, etc gives other benefits so can't really see how they can justify this decision unless it's lazieness/ a lack of staff to do things. 

2 minutes ago, so72 said:

If everyone who is moaning online actually bought the programme then perhaps it wouldn't be gone. 

It's not just about sales - theres advertising, etc too and it sums up the approach of simply looking to cut costs rather than bring in more money. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, irnbru said:

It's not just about sales - theres advertising, etc too and it sums up the approach of simply looking to cut costs rather than bring in more money. 

I think that's a fair point. The sooner this AGM comes the better because the questions are piling up about why we lolloped along handing out two year deals just three months ago, and yet are now pleading poverty and making ourselves look like gormless tits at every turn. 

For our commercial reputation I really hope this is a failure to communicate a predetermined decision rather than an abrupt change of course. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Programmes are shite (opinion) and print media is a dying concept. It's 2022.

Disappointing for those that buy one though and not surprising from a club that are cutting everything they can right now (anyone want to buy the Cowshed pie stall sauce table?)

We are not the first club to do this, not even the first in our league.

But surely the programme is break even at worst before a sale is even made due to advertising? I know advertising revenue is hard to come by these days, but surely there was enough to cover it. Can't say I have ever seen the club reaching out and promoting that advertising opportunity though to drive advertising sales.

I know the effort vs reward of producing a programme is also high but aren't most contributors volunteers? Also don't remember much appeal for new contributors if that's what they need to reduce staff time.

Don't buy the shouts of 'do an online one'. Same effort for less reward (less people will buy and even less chance of advertising). If they were even just considering binning the printed one, there was little chance of them going that way.

Shite communication as usual from the club (posted when they feel they have to rather than desire to br up front, transparent and controlling the narrative).

Edited by Jamie_M

As much as we quite rightly slaughter them, you can bet your house that a nauseating outfit like Partick Thistle Family Club would have made hay from the exact same business decision. They'd have reprinted programme notes from 'classic games' for fucking months beforehand, and probably got their usual BBC media spot to trumpet their 'innovative step forward'. People would have lapped up the reprints and they'd have finished the series properly. GMFC produces a Twitter announcement three seconds before the first home match. 

It's a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that we miss more open goals off the park than any of our players on it is boiling my pish. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

7 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

As much as we quite rightly slaughter them, you can bet your house that a nauseating outfit like Partick Thistle Family Club would have made hay from the exact same business decision. They'd have reprinted programme notes from 'classic games' for fucking months beforehand, and probably got their usual BBC media spot to trumpet their 'innovative step forward'. People would have lapped up the reprints and they'd have finished the series properly. GMFC produces a Twitter announcement three seconds before the first home match. 

It's a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that we miss more open goals off the park than any of our players on it is boiling my pish. 

They have ditched their Programme, bud don't know how much they dined out on it. Good, because no doubt they would have announced a bilingual version having just replaced much of their signage to also have Gaelic translations for ALL their Gaelic speaking fans 🤪.

20 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Loads of clubs have ditched the traditional programme model, moving to online only, monthly editions, quarterly with a lengthier magazine style or other variations.

None of them have announced that change an hour and 45 minutes before kick-off.

This is yet another example of a perfectly reasonable decision looking bad due to abysmal communication.

And in the same week they were finally obliged to update on binning the development team makes it hit twice as hard.

• Upvote 1

Hospitality attendance for the first home league match of the season looking pathetic as well today. I'm sure that there are good people sweating embryos at the club trying to pull it in the right direction, but there seems to be a black hole at boardroom level dragging us into the seaside leagues (and it was there long before the takeover). 

• Upvote 1

Are we going to discuss the new Alba party sign that’s above the turnstiles? 

After the outcry of their “photo op” when they hired a function room, this really looks like, as a club, we are endorsing these clowns!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Didn't even notice it but if its advertising space within the ground and they've paid the going rate for the space then I don't see an issue. There's an advertising board for an MSP metres away from the turnstiles. 

If we allow one political party to advertise then we have to allow others, and the board have made it clear they will allow political parties to advertise within the ground. 

The difference though is at least Stuart McMillan has been elected and has constituents to represent locally so him having a board I don’t have a big as an issue with

• Upvote 1

Not fussed about the programmes going. What I was surprised about was the capri sun's going up to £1.50 a carton and the kids tickets increasing from £1 to £3. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come