Commercial Activity - Page 53 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

13 hours ago, port-ton said:

Don't really want to go all Captain Anus but have no idea how you can be okay with paying to watch our captain play while cancelling your MCT membership because you think Alex Salmond is a sex pest. 

Something tells me it's more about the politics than that anyway. I'd argue its fans like that bringing politics in to football more than Cappielow being rented to a political party. 

You make a very good point Report-Ton. 

I find it very ironic that the most vociferous opponent to the Alex Salmond Party of SNP misfits and also-rans* visiting Cappielow is also the biggest advocate for allowing a serial sex offender to be a Morton player when he should be nowhere near our club.  Once again, he is having a fucking howler on here again.

Have yourself a very rare greenie from me.

*Lets face it, thats what they are.

• Downvote 1

*insert signature here*

Astonishing amount of foaming at the mouth here. It’s a room hire. Nobody is implicitly or explicitly endorsing the views of the party concerned. The seethe on this thread could come from the Daily Mail comments section.

Alex Salmond is now a hate figure to many, mainly due to the disgraceful reporting of his trial, at which he was cleared of all charges, most of which were frankly ridiculous. He has been smeared to the point that he will never be able to return politically. He is still being smeared regularly by some of the anonymous witnesses, women who I cannot name on here even though I know a few of their names. There are a lot more important issues than Salmond doing a launch of an updated wee blue book which could have been done at any of hundreds of venues. The club is not endorsing anything so just take the money and stick it in the bank. Tomorrow’s chip paper, or would have been before that was banned.

Edited by Alibi
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

8 hours ago, gorkir said:

If it was Douglas Ross 'booking the room' would people just say it's a commercial transaction and why can't he book the suite.

Imagine the insults he would get!

Shouldn't be allowed - this will be all over the national press tomorrow and once again people will laugh at Morton.

He would only get the same insults that Alba politicians are getting for their publicity stunt right now - which is fair game for both. 

I fail to see your point: the only thing stopping that party from holding a paid event at Cappielow is their special relationship with the Britannia club and the local ludge. Although I'm sure the QB would welcome the party that made the town guinea pigs for their vile Universal Credit scheme with the usual hospitality. 

Speaking as a voter in that ward, I've no problem with Alba highlighting an area that deserves more local and national attention to its problems and the solutions that are needed for them. I still almost certainly won't be voting for them, but that just puts them in the same bucket as most of the other lamentable parties and candidates running. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The idiots highlighting it on social media are just making a mountain out of a molehill, all for a few likes and a boost of serotonin in their sad lives. 

The same folk saying they'll cancel their memberships yesterday over Salmond's 'alleged' behaviour (he's a sleazy prick) but are willing to go support the team with Alan Lithgow as captain. I've defended the club and Alan quite a bit over that decision. However, you can't just have one and not the other just because you don't agree politically. 

This was always going to fracture (fragile) folk in the fan base. We should not be deteriorating a fading fan base with politics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In my opinion it started off as fragile fans being annoyed because a political party they don't agree with had booked a cappielow function room and they were getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. 

What it had turned in to is a political party being able to promote their party and agenda on the hallowed grounds of the cappielow pitch, with cappielow used as a backdrop image for no extra cost than it would cost me to book a Birthday Party. 

That's then followed up by a member of said party implying out of nowhere to morton fans that they are racist because they don't like seeing cappielow used as propaganda. 

All in all its not a good look for the club. I don't even see it as bad publicity because no one outside of Morton fans give a flying fuck and rightly so. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I pretty much went full circle on this then changed my mind again. Having initially thought when I first saw the story "no, having a political party host an event using the stadium is a step too far" I took a step back and came round to the view that it was essentially just the same type of commercial transaction as an advertising hoarding, which I have absolutely no issue with and clearly doesn't infer an endorsement from the club.

Then you see them posing with campaign material in the home dugout and it does leave a sour taste of the club potentially being explicitly associated with them, but I also saw the point raised that for the 2011 Westminster by-election we actually had the SNP candidate Anne McLaughlin on the pitch in a Morton top having a kickabout with Nicola Sturgeon for a photo op, and as far as I can recall no one objected then or considers Morton to be somehow inextricably linked with the SNP despite that being nothing but using Cappielow for a campaign rather than hiring a space.

That does bring it back to the view that it's the (entirely merited) negative views towards the party in question which are the issue for some fans here rather than a principle around political parties in general, and therefore it's the fans who have initially created a political issue here rather than the club. None of which changes the conduct of a member of that party last night being a total embarrassment.

There is a point to be made about how a line would be drawn as obviously some political parties would not be acceptable to host in any capacity - if the BNP tried to book a space they would rightly be told to fuck off just as they would be from the likes of the town hall, so clearly the politics of the party in question are relevant to an extent - but I don't think it's for the commercial department of a football club to police how acceptable Alba are.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I pretty much went full circle on this them changed my mind again. Having initially thought when I first saw the story "no, having a political party host an event using the stadium is a step too far" I took a step back and came round to the view that it was essentially just the same type of commercial transaction as an advertising hoarding, which I have absolutely no issue with and clearly doesn't infer an endorsement from the club.

Then you see them posing with campaign material in the home dugout and it does leave a sour taste of the club potentially being explicitly associated with them, but I also saw the point raised that for the 2011 Westminster by-election we actually had the SNP candidate Anne McLaughlin on the pitch in a Morton top having a kickabout with Nicola Sturgeon for a photo op, and as far as I can recall no one objected then or considers Morton to be somehow inextricably linked with the SNP despite that being nothing but using Cappielow for a campaign rather than hiring a space.

That does bring it back to the view that it's the (entirely merited) negative views of the party in question which are the issue for some fans here rather than a principle around political parties in general, and therefore it's the fans who have initially created a political issue here rather than the club. None of which changes the conduct of a member of that party last night being a total embarrassment.

There is a point to be made about how a line would be drawn as obviously some political parties would not be acceptable to host in any capacity - if the BNP tried to book a space they would rightly be told to fuck off just as they would be from the likes of the town hall, so clearly the politics of the party in question are relevant to an extent - but I don't think it's for the commercial department of a football club to police how acceptable Alba are.

With regards to 2011, I'm not sure if the majority of fans would have even known about the SNP propaganda on the pitch. I certainly didn't remember it. I also think politics are a lot more divisive now than in 2011 and a lot of people in general are a lot more clued up on it and how it works. Politics used to be an election season thing and a few scandals a year, but now it's been a daily occurrence in people's lives for years due to, 2014 independence vote, brexit, covid etc. 

My stance on if the SNP did today what the Alba party did last night would be the same. Fine to book the room and take a few personal photos, but not okay to use the footballing side of the club I.e pitch, dugouts, stands as propaganda to help promote your party. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

24 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I pretty much went full circle on this them changed my mind again. Having initially thought when I first saw the story "no, having a political party host an event using the stadium is a step too far" I took a step back and came round to the view that it was essentially just the same type of commercial transaction as an advertising hoarding, which I have absolutely no issue with and clearly doesn't infer an endorsement from the club.

That does bring it back to the view that it's the (entirely merited) negative views of the party in question which are the issue for some fans here rather than a principle around political parties in general, and therefore it's the fans who have initially created a political issue here rather than the club. None of which changes the conduct of a member of that party last night being a total embarrassment.

The political landscape has changed massively since then, mate.

Tobys post covers it. This was about one guys own agenda. As usual.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

7 hours ago, Alibi said:

Astonishing amount of foaming at the mouth here. It’s a room hire. Nobody is implicitly or explicitly endorsing the views of the party concerned. The seethe on this thread could come from the Daily Mail comments section.

Alex Salmond is now a hate figure to many, mainly due to the disgraceful reporting of his trial, at which he was cleared of all charges, most of which were frankly ridiculous. He has been smeared to the point that he will never be able to return politically. He is still being smeared regularly by some of the anonymous witnesses, women who I cannot name on here even though I know a few of their names. There are a lot more important issues than Salmond doing a launch of an updated wee blue book which could have been done at any of hundreds of venues. The club is not endorsing anything so just take the money and stick it in the bank. Tomorrow’s chip paper, or would have been before that was banned.

That's a dangerous line. It has been a real problem, in the aftermath of the criminal trial, that complainants and witnesses have been identified explicitly or by heavy implication and/or accused of lying. 

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

That's a dangerous line. It has been a real problem, in the aftermath of the criminal trial, that complainants and witnesses have been identified explicitly or by heavy implication and/or accused of lying. 

Yeah, that's more than a bit of a dubious path to be treading anywhere, never mind on a public (and anonymous) forum.

On a similar but different note, there's been a few comments on Twitter that I'd hope the club are keeping an eye on, along the lines of Morton "endorsing rapists" etc. I think that particular one may have been deleted but I'd hope the club doesn't just turn a blind eye to that kind of nonsense, especially coming from its' own fans. If anybody is stupid enough to be spouting that shite, they shouldn't be surprised if it has consequences.

AWMSC

2 hours ago, RealTonKid said:

Nicola Sturgeon was down at The Beacon earlier today launching the SNP council election manifesto. 

Close the Beacon. MCT must condemn.

• Upvote 1

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

8 hours ago, cmdc said:

I worded that carefully on purpose. Not really a matter for this thread but worth researching. The whole thing stinks of fish. I’m sure the truth will come out eventually.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 4/21/2022 at 11:52 PM, RealTonKid said:

It was a tweet from Brendan but he has since locked his account, hence I deleted my original post. I don't know the family personally, so can't offer any comment on their conduct. From professional exchanges, Brendan always seems like an affable chap.

mceleny.jpg

Not condoning personal abuse in any way, quite the opposite, it's disgusting, but my sympathy for Chris would be more if we wasn't guilty himself of this....

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-msp-karen-adam-receives-death-threats-following-paedophile-tweet-row-3513323

While he didn't personally abuse her as such, he cynically and deliberately twisted the message in her tweet to imply it meant something completely different, and thereby generated abusive and threatening posts her, which is almost as bad. In fact, by getting (and some would say encouraging) his gormless and gullible followers to do his dirty work for him, you could argue that it's even worse.