Commercial Activity - Page 51 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

6 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I'm all for the club using its facilities to gain some extra income but when it's arseclowns like the alba party and Salmond that can get swiftly in the bin. Club seemed to be doing well with getting fans back on side and the good atmosphere since Dougie has arrived but this is another thing you just have to shake your head at. 

Also in regards to VAR and the club voting against it I wonder how much Dougie was asked about this or if was just all board members making the decision. 

Dougie wouldnt even be in my radar of people to consult. Has absolutely nothing to do with the manager, who let's face it probably won't even be here by the time VAR impacts us directly (if it ever does). 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, so72 said:

This has McEleney all over it, wouldn't be surprised if it was a discount rate.

I emailed Chris Ross to let him/them know my feelings on the matter.

Although I never mentioned money his reply clearly stated that the Alba party were paying the same rate as anyone else hiring the facility would pay.

I personally don't care if they did or didn't get a discount, my views on the matter haven't changed.

If the Hilton can host Furry conventions etc without being associated with or endorsing them then I'm sure Cappielow will be just fine. 

Screenshot_20220421-144011_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

31 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

The eagerly awaited Morton Weekly Update lands in the inbox but no mention of VAR or Alex Salmond. WTF?

Rightly so. It's a commercial transition and the club shouldn't and can't allow itself to be dragged into justifying itself every time it hires out a space to someone people don't like. 

Salmond is an arsehole and anybody that latches on to a party that exists to serve his ego is no better, but nonetheless they're a substance-less irrelevance to anybody outwith their tiny band of followers and whoever it is who needs to use them as a scare story on any given day. It's not some fascist group or the like, it's just some has-been wanker coughing up a few hundred quid to use a room to pretend he's still a big deal. It'd be doing their slow-motion car-crash a favour to cancel it and give them more attention than they'd ever manage on their own.

If the club were to make the decision in the summer to remove all party political advertising etc and not accept any bookings or sponsorships etc on behalf of political parties then sure, I'd have no real complaints there but that's a different thing from arbitrarily cancelling a booking because people don't like somebody. There's more politicking going on in threatening to withdraw money from the club etc than there is in taking the booking, frankly.

AWMSC

Actually more annoyed at the politicisation of the club by some fans on twitter and threatening to withdraw their funding over it. 

Everyone is entitled to withdraw their funding for whatever reason they see fit but its them that's bringing politics in to this not the club, and if this is the sort of thing people will withdraw funding over then the club will need to walk on eggshells waiting for the next thing that riles them in to threatening to withdraw and that's healthy for no one. 

• Upvote 2

32.gif

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

Actually more annoyed at the politicisation of the club by some fans on twitter and threatening to withdraw their funding over it. 

Everyone is entitled to withdraw their funding for whatever reason they see fit but its them that's bringing politics in to this not the club, and if this is the sort of thing people will withdraw funding over then the club will need to walk on eggshells waiting for the next thing that riles them in to threatening to withdraw and that's healthy for no one. 

A lot of shouting 'such bad publicity for the reputation of the club' when literally the only ones giving it any publicity right now are the Morton fans shouting about it all over social media.

• Upvote 1

download (5).jpeg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hate to say it, but this is a master stroke by (presumably) Chris McEleny.

Let’s be honest, the ALBA party are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but by simply hiring Cappielow, he’s all of a sudden got folk who wouldn’t even know they’re on the ballot paper talking about them all over Twitter.

Personally I wouldn’t like to accept anything from any political party, including trackside advertising but the real shame is that the club has been used as a pawn for a bit of political capital, and I’d suggest it’s been used by one of it’s own supporters for that purpose.

I’ve seen Chris Ross’s generic reply that someone’s put on Twitter, and to be honest, rather than being outraged, it just saddens me that these things keep happening. Things were going so well for so long.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

Let’s be honest, the ALBA party are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but by simply hiring Cappielow, he’s all of a sudden got folk who wouldn’t even know they’re on the ballot paper talking about them all over Twitter.

Personally I wouldn’t like to accept anything from any political party, including trackside advertising but the real shame is that the club has been used as a pawn for a bit of political capital, and I’d suggest it’s been used by one of it’s own supporters for that purpose.

I’ve seen Chris Ross’s generic reply that someone’s put on Twitter, and to be honest, rather than being outraged, it just saddens me that these things keep happening. Things were going so well for so long.

Nail. On. Head.

Only one guy behind this and for his own gain.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

2 minutes ago, Toby said:

I personally think you're looking too far in to it. I'd say it's much simpler and more likely that with Chris being a Morton fan, Brendan being club secretary and the knowledge that the club have started hiring out rooms at Cappielow that they'd rather give their money to the club who's trying to grow that side of the business than say the Council or another private function hall. 

If it wasn't for that Inverclyde Now article screenshot barely anyone would have known the event was even happening, which doesn't suggest to me that some genius PR stunt on the part of Chris. 

32.gif

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I personally think you're looking too far in to it. I'd say it's much simpler and more likely that with Chris being a Morton fan, Brendan being club secretary and the knowledge that the club have started hiring out rooms at Cappielow that they'd rather give their money to the club who's trying to grow that side of the business than say the Council or another private function hall. 

If it wasn't for that Inverclyde Now article screenshot barely anyone would have known the event was even happening, which doesn't suggest to me that some genius PR stunt on the part of Chris. 

Extremely naive, to say the least 😂

TIME FOR CHANGE!

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

A natural cynic perhaps, but we’ll have to agree to differ.

I get on better with Chris a lot better than I did back in the day, but as ToM implies, I think it would be naive to ignore the possibility that he doesn’t have his motives. It’s the job of a politician to get folk talking about them/their party and it looks to me like he’s done a very good job of doing that.

You may be right, but knowing Chris as I do (which isn’t particularly well) I’d suggest he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Toby said:

That's not quite true. The only reason why anyone is talking about it is because a bunch of people immediately took to gurning about the function space being used, for an irrelevant party event that hardly anyone would turn up to anyway.

The oxygen of publicity here has therefore been provided by the 'get politics oot of fitba'/craven unionist brigades, who have fallen hook, line and sinker for the councillor's cause. GMFC are not responsible for that. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The reaction of some to this does appear to be a bit over the top. We have all complained about opportunities for income generation being spurned in the past and now when a small amount is generated from hiring a room, that's not acceptable. 

I have zero time for chancers like McEleny or Salmond but to suggest that this will lead to a political rebirth of a insignificant unsuccessful political party in stretching it too far. 

The outrage since the Inverclyde Now article has given it legs when McEleny has been tweeting about it for 4 days to radio silence. 

Still not that fussed about it. As far as levels go, it's hardly QOS inviting George Galloway to be a special VIP guest of theirs at a match (at a time when fans were locked out).