Commercial Activity - Page 49 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

32 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Not a new thing by now, but Gareth the social media guy (unsure of his surname, sorry) has been doing really spectacular work since he took over. The graphics for the Cup stuff in particular are excellent, really well done.

That it’s taken until 2022 for the club to fully embrace the internet is quite an indictment of the previous regime but even at that, the standard now is remarkable by any measure and both Gareth and Chris Ross deserve a lot of credit for the improvement.

Well said. It all looks polished now without losing the club's character. They've really got it spot on. 

EOho8Pw.png

6 minutes ago, Toby said:

I feel it should be noted that all the kids attending the Easter training camps are getting free tickets for Saturday’s game, too.

That’s a much better initiative for me than something like Dunfermline and Raith’s “Football for a Fiver” promotions. I’d hope parents are advised not to kit their weans out in Celtic or Rangers kits on the day, but having the kids at the game after a couple of weeks of being in and around the club is hopefully a way of garnering interest in Morton.

These training camps won’t turn all the kids into Morton players, but if they turn a few of them into Morton fans then that’s fantastic.

Aye very good initiative. Just hope the stewards don't waterboard them for standing near the front wall. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Aye very good initiative. Just hope the stewards don't waterboard them for standing near the front wall. 

You’d imagine they’ll be supervised and in the seats at the front of the shed, but another recommendation I’d make would be similar to the offer Scotland Supports Club members get in JD for Scotland kit- if the kids sign up for the school holiday camps, give them a 15% discount on Morton kits in Smiths and never shut up about it so the kids are pestering their parents on the hour, every hour.

• Upvote 2

Amazing what happens when you put in the effort and make the club look attractive and professional. We'll never be Real Madrid, but this kind of thing was always available to us, if only the will was there.

As others have said, if we're being optimistic maybe five of these kids will make the grade as professional Morton players. But dozens, even hundreds more will have fond memories of playing at the Battery, and being part of a team that cares about them and part of a broader community to which they can belong. Many will go on to support other clubs - that's fine. Many others will drift away from the game entirely - that's fine too. But those that remain, we've given ourselves a chance of winning a fan for life. At this level of football, that's absolutely vital. I'm delighted to see the club and the Community Trust improving in this way. 

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

On 4/11/2022 at 5:54 PM, EanieMeany said:

There's maybe some circumstances were a reduced price could bump the crowd up, but even at that it's rarely likely to be to such a degree that it covers the loss. Perhaps for a game of significance a small deduction could bump the numbers up a bit, but even at that I wouldn't be sure.

Yeah, trying the price reduction strategy to even £10 means you're never going to avoid a loss on the matchday in question without doubling your usual crowd, and if you manage to do that it's probably a big game where you could have expected a larger crowd anyway, so you're still not really doing yourself a favour.

The only way it actually helps long-term is if the game is so good it somehow convinces the casual attendees who've turned up cheaply to be willing to return consistently at full price. While you might get a few individual examples of that, stuff like offers for kids playing in the community teams as described in a few other posts is surely a better way of getting that long term attendance without costing the club nearly as much.

If you are targeting price reductions at adults, then make it things like three match packages over the festive period or at the end of a season, where you save around £10 across three games compared with buying tickets individually. A much smaller cost to the club than a one off bump down to a fiver and has a chance of encouraging that repeat attendance if it happens to coincide with good performances and results, rather than just having all the people who'd have been going anyway getting in more cheaply with no difference on the gate.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Credit where it's due, they obviously learned a lot of very hard lessons from the omnishambles at the start of the MCT reign, and as a result we've come on leaps and bounds in the last few months both on and off the park. Six months ago I was very pessimistic about our future under MCT, but right now they've certainly got me eating big dollops of humble pie.

Well done to everyone behind this highly impressive improvement. 

16 hours ago, Toby said:

You’d imagine they’ll be supervised and in the seats at the front of the shed, but another recommendation I’d make would be similar to the offer Scotland Supports Club members get in JD for Scotland kit- if the kids sign up for the school holiday camps, give them a 15% discount on Morton kits in Smiths and never shut up about it so the kids are pestering their parents on the hour, every hour.

15 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Last night I went for a walk down the battery park and there was about 100 kids all in Morton training gear. Parents in the hats etc. It was fucking fantastic to see.

I'm not sure if it's just because the current strip really stands out, but it feels like you see a lot more people around the town with it, so if we can get more children wearing them too even if it's just because they've went to the training camps or whatever then it definitely adds to the presence, if you will, of the club on the streets. It'd be a perfect time for the club to be getting on top of the training/leisurewear etc too, on that front: the more Morton stuff you see about the place, the more it makes it look the club has a big presence in the town. 

If we can kick on next season as we hope we're going to, then a combination of that and getting posters in shops etc*, then you have the ingredients to generate a really big buzz about the place and get more punters along.

*Whilst we're obviously not Barcelona (or rather, they're not us), if you go around the city you'll find almost every wee shop there is selling some kind of Barca-related stuff which is maybe something we could look at (I'm sure other cities are like that but it seems more apparent there). It wouldn't even be money-spinning as such, just wee things that make club seem omnipresent that newsagents etc could stick on their counters be it pens, bouncy balls or whatever else - hell, even ask Golden Casket to knock up packets of blue and white Millions and put them in a wee box with the badge on it.

Just have Morton stuff absolutely fuckin everywhere it can go, and fuck it, even devise some sort of grandiose "Greenock is blue and white" type slogan.  Flood the place in Morton, make it look like every cunt that lives here supports the team and eventually they will (maybe).

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Yeah, trying the price reduction strategy to even £10 means you're never going to avoid a loss on the matchday in question without doubling your usual crowd, and if you manage to do that it's probably a big game where you could have expected a larger crowd anyway, so you're still not really doing yourself a favour.

The only way it actually helps long-term is if the game is so good it somehow convinces the casual attendees who've turned up cheaply to be willing to return consistently at full price. 

A much smaller cost to the club than a one off bump down to a fiver and has a chance of encouraging that repeat attendance if it happens to coincide with good performances and results, rather than just having all the people who'd have been going anyway getting in more cheaply with no difference on the gate.

On the first and second paragraphs, I think that could in theory be a worthwhile approach if you had all the right circumstances: for example, if we got off to a flyer and were around the top of the table come the end of , say, October and had the closest rival or whatever at Cappielow, then possibly a reduced price could be worth a punt to try to entice casual punters back along and hope the game goes sufficiently well that they then come back for more. It'd be a gamble, but if you're going to cut prices then that'd be the best place to do it I reckon.

On the bold bit, maybe a, say, 6 game ticket that saved £9 compared to the gate price in being available in the summer could be a way to get money in the bank right away. It'd probably be difficult to do with the current ticket website if you were basically letting people have pre-bought vouchers seeing as it can barely handle normal sales, but it'd maybe be something out of town fans etc would buy up front, people who don't make many games but might manage a handful.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

15 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

On this note, my nephew is in and around the community set up. They had every kid down at cappielow last week to sign for Morton. Photographer there and 3 or 4 different photos taken. A great initiative. Not every kid at my newphews team supports Morton, but my nephew does (obviously. He had no choice) so for him it, at 8 years of age, was a really cool occasion. 

Above that, I got him ready for his game the other week and he showed up with two sets of Morton training gear, his match day strip, a bag for it all and two wooly hats (for winter). Every kid in the set up the same. They're fantastically well kitted out. I made a point a few seasons ago about the first team being all miss match and some dweeb on twitter shot me down but I stand by it; make them feel professional, they'll act professional. 

Last night I went for a walk down the battery park and there was about 100 kids all in Morton training gear. Parents in the hats etc. It was fucking fantastic to see.

The community set up is a real asset to us and is a sure fire breeding ground for academy and future stars

I've played 7s on a Monday night for a few years and every week the pitch is stowed with the Morton kids. The setup looks really professional and looks like different drills for the different age groups, a lot of the boys already look like very good players for their age. That'll bear fruit in years to come, shame it wasn't happening much sooner.

• Upvote 2

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I've been in and around the community teams for a few years now as a coach and the commitment from the coaches has always been excellent. We have some really good players at all levels and just need to hope that other academy clubs don't come sniffing as they have done in the past!

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Honestly don't see the the big issue. If we want to increase commercial activity by hiring function rooms then you're going to be hiring them out to things you as a company might not endorse.

If it was a Ku Klux Klan roadshow then aye kick up a fuss, but an event for politics you don't believe in for people attending who believe in those politics is exactly the way a functioning democracy should be. 

Rather their money for a few tables and chairs goes in our pocket than someone elses and the 4 people who attend enjoy their night. 

Edit to add: in saying that if there is a significant number of fans bothered then the amount we hire the room out for isn't worth the loss of goodwill from paying fans. 

Hadn't really factored in the family connection between the club and that political party either which changes things slightly for me. 

Edited by port-ton

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I see no problem with hiring out Cappielow to political parties.  It's income.  I would draw the line at the National Front or whatever their successors are these days - Tories probably think - but there's no good reason to turn down an income stream here.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."