Commercial Activity - Page 46 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Joy Sullivan's

Yes, that’s what I was told it was.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Mining equipment i think.  Did they have another place further west on the main road, not too far from where Tesco is now?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

32 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Mining equipment i think.  Did they have another place further west on the main road, not too far from where Tesco is now?

You might be thinking of Drummond's.

It was a printer it believe, printing designs onto biscuit tins etc.

When it closed, IBM moved in before eventually being demolished and the current Tesco built.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TaunTon said:

Out of interest what was the name of that factory behind Wee Dublin in the McGraw pic. Been wracking my brain since you posted it.

Coincidentally this was posted on Twitter this morning (or maybe someone reading the forum)

#greenocksocialhistory #joysullivan 

engineers at work on core drills, one of many items of coal cutting equipment manufactured at the joy-sullivan factory in greenock, 1955

more here https://t.co/qpzzr7jwqf https://t.co/ijbvfgzv5b55ZV5B

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SassenachTon said:

Scott’s were founded in the 1700’s and built almost 1,300 ships including over 100 for the Royal Navy. They finally threw in the towel in 1993. Directly opposite where I live in Derbyshire is the half-demolished ruins of the Butterley Company - a once-massive engineering firm who built the colossal iron roof at St.Pancras station, along with more modern structures including the Falkirk Wheel. The houses in my row were built by the company for some of its middle managers in 1890. They’re the strongest, squarest, plumbest and best-built houses I’ve ever come across. 

Scott’s and Butterley are both gone, along with hundreds - probably thousands - of other engineering companies.

And all thanks to a Government who didn’t think that companies manufacturing stuff which the world wanted to buy was important. They decided that our nations would prosper by cleaning each others windows, selling each other hamburgers, and becoming risk management consultants, compensation claims agents, and other bullshit, fake jobs. The same Government which thinks it’s OK to pump billions into failing banks, but won’t give a penny to anyone who grafts for a living and gets their hands dirty.

The history of Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering is a fascinating one.  In fact, whilst it is often associated with Greenock & Port Glasgow, it was a global concern with shipbuilding and engineering interests as far afield as Hong Kong & Japan and its previous parent company, John Swire & Sons, still survives today as an Asian-based conglomerate focused on diverse interests from Shipping, Property Development, Oil & Gas Exploration to Soft Drinks.

The death-knell for Scotts and its successor, Scott-Lithgow was nationalisation and being absorbed into British Shipbuilders in 1977.   When the shipyards on the Upper Clyde ran into financial difficulties in the late 1960s/early 1970s, the Inverclyde shipyards were doing well and were building massive oil tankers.  Sir William Lithgow challenged the nationalisation of Scott-Lithgow and the case makes for very interesting reading.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

*insert signature here*

20 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

You might be thinking of Drummond's.

It was a printer it believe, printing designs onto biscuit tins etc.

When it closed, IBM moved in before eventually being demolished and the current Tesco built.

Aye, that was it, Drummond. Quite a nice building facade.

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

The history of Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering is a fascinating one.  In fact, whilst it is often associated with Greenock & Port Glasgow, it was a global concern with shipbuilding and engineering interests as far afield as Hong Kong & Japan and its previous parent company, John Swire & Sons, still survives today as an Asian-based conglomerate focused on diverse interests from Shipping, Property Development, Oil & Gas Exploration to Soft Drinks.

The death-knell for Scotts and its successor, Scott-Lithgow was nationalisation and being absorbed into British Shipbuilders in 1977.   When the shipyards on the Upper Clyde ran into financial difficulties in the late 1960s/early 1970s, the Inverclyde shipyards were doing well and were building massive oil tankers.  Sir William Lithgow challenged the nationalisation of Scott-Lithgow and the case makes for very interesting reading.

Didn't Hugo Swire try to make the points about his family's role in the area when he stood for the tories in Inverclyde before getting a nice safe seat from his school chum Cameron?

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

9 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Scott’s were founded in the 1700’s and built almost 1,300 ships including over 100 for the Royal Navy. They finally threw in the towel in 1993. Directly opposite where I live in Derbyshire is the half-demolished ruins of the Butterley Company - a once-massive engineering firm who built the colossal iron roof at St.Pancras station, along with more modern structures including the Falkirk Wheel. The houses in my row were built by the company for some of its middle managers in 1890. They’re the strongest, squarest, plumbest and best-built houses I’ve ever come across. 

Scott’s and Butterley are both gone, along with hundreds - probably thousands - of other engineering companies.

And all thanks to a Government who didn’t think that companies manufacturing stuff which the world wanted to buy was important. They decided that our nations would prosper by cleaning each others windows, selling each other hamburgers, and becoming risk management consultants, compensation claims agents, and other bullshit, fake jobs. The same Government which thinks it’s OK to pump billions into failing banks, but won’t give a penny to anyone who grafts for a living and gets their hands dirty.

Built on the level, brother 

• Downvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

On 3/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, SassenachTon said:

Thanks for that @capitanus. I’m going to find out more - fascinating as you say. All the best.

Cheers.  An interesting website which I often read is https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/ which gives the history of many of Britain's industrial companies.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, TAFKAC said:

Didn't Hugo Swire try to make the points about his family's role in the area when he stood for the tories in Inverclyde before getting a nice safe seat from his school chum Cameron?

I didn't know who Hugo Swire was until you mentioned this and Googled him, but yes, he is from that same family. Its also funny that you mention 'School Chums' because during the lockdown I read a book from Alexander Stephen who mentioned that his family owned shipyard in Linthouse, Govan was always at a distinct disadvantage when tendering for Naval contracts against the likes of Scott's as a result of the old school ties with the Royal Navy top brass.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...