Commercial Activity - Page 36 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

5 hours ago, so72 said:

19k is not a salary for a commercial manager/exec, would get a fresh faced graduate working as an assistant for that but nobody with experience is taking that wage. Even if they love Morton, that wouldn't support someone who has a lifestyle based on the average commercial manager/exec wage. 

Even just a quick google shows the average commercial exec wage is around £30k and a manager is £50k.

That may be the case, but the phrase 'Commercial Executive' is one which encompasses a wide variety of roles, from a street pedlar right through to some high level positions at large companies. 

It is also worth noting that the previous five incumbents of this role - Lesley Ann Webb, Susan Gregory, Chris Norris, Gary Millar and Sandra Fisher - all had the title 'Commercial Manager' with the remit and salary to match, why should it be any different now?  Are they looking to scale down this role?

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

16 hours ago, capitanus said:

The bit in bold, Lesley Anne done more than just 'keep hospitality ticking over', in fact she done a good job over the past five or so years and was a marked improvement on the previous incumbent within the role.

If she was doing more behind the scenes, good for her, but as someone with a real weakness for Morton merchandise, and whose email address the club is in possession of, I'm not exactly bowled over by her output. If that wasn't her job, well, fair enough, it's then not a criticism of her personally. But the club's been crap for years at separating me from my money, which I believe to be the remit of a commercial department. Hence my perception - possibly misguided - that things were just kept ticking over.

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, TRVMP said:

If she was doing more behind the scenes, good for her, but as someone with a real weakness for Morton merchandise, and whose email address the club is in possession of, I'm not exactly bowled over by her output. If that wasn't her job, well, fair enough, it's then not a criticism of her personally. But the club's been crap for years at separating me from my money, which I believe to be the remit of a commercial department. Hence my perception - possibly misguided - that things were just kept ticking over.

I never said she was perfect, and wont profess to know her as well as some on here may do, but she was an improvement on the previous person in the role.  Also, if i recall correctly she was brought on board to deal with hospitality, but somehow found herself involved in the commercial side of things during Hawke's tenure in charge.  

Morton have always been dreadful at separating their natural constituency from their hard earned cash for some branded tat, in fact unless its someone shaking a bucket, GMST fundraisers, fundraisers for youth set-ups etc. we have failed miserably in that respect for many years.  That is not solely the fault of the most recent incumbent, it has always been that way.

*insert signature here*

Amazing what a decent manager, a couple of wins, improved social media and commercial activity can do. 

Went on to buy the glorious hat of the gods and parted with over £100 of my money on other shite. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

15 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Amazing what a decent manager, a couple of wins, improved social media and commercial activity can do. 

Went on to buy the glorious hat of the gods and parted with over £100 of my money on other shite. 

£15 to me feels like £100 this month but they are getting that from me. Not felt this good about Morton in ages. 

46 minutes ago, Toby said:

Don’t want to sound too negative, but I’m astonished port-ton’s managed to find £100 worth of stuff that he’s interested in, unless he doesn’t already have this season’s two shirts.

They know they missed the boat with the bunnet and Christmas, but the big issue to me is there seems very little communication between Smiths and the club.

What’s the plan for the 100th anniversary in April? Was it the home kit and that’s the lot? Key rings? Pin badges? Beer glasses? Tee-shirts? Mugs?

Let’s be honest, Smiths really have to up their game, and the club have to be monitoring what they’re up to.

And while we’re at it, 1991-93 chevron home shirt can be the next retro top they release, this summer preferably.

Not bought a strip in 10-15 years. Always planned to get the centenary top but was so scunnered with the club that I never got around to it so got it there along with the hat and few other bits and bobs.  

Definitely still a lot of room for improvement on every area of the commercial side but happy that one step forward is being made compared to the usual three steps backwards. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

19 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Not bought a strip in 10-15 years. Always planned to get the centenary top but was so scunnered with the club that I never got around to it so got it there along with the hat and few other bits and bobs.  

Definitely still a lot of room for improvement on every area of the commercial side but happy that one step forward is being made compared to the usual three steps backwards. 

Fair enough- I just never see very much by way of “bits and bobs” as you put it. I’m a sucker for any sort of football collectibles etc. but there’s nothing that I haven’t got that I’d bother with, which would suggest to me that either I spend too much money on Morton-related tat or the selection is limited, to be kind. I think it’s the latter.

Maybe I’m being harsh and I’m the exception to the rule that wants to see 12 different designs of pin badge of course, but I’d like to see how comparable we are to the likes of Ayr, Raith etc. Ayr certainly seem to have a lot more than we do, as well as a new shop, hub and bar at the ground.

I’d also suggest using social media to punt things indirectly, too. I don’t know how many other clubs do it as I don’t follow them on Facebook, but every action shot Sheffield United put up links whatever kit they’re wearing in the picture to the club shop. Wee things like that are keeping your merchandise in folks’ conscience pretty much all the time.

27 minutes ago, Toby said:

Fair enough- I just never see very much by way of “bits and bobs” as you put it. I’m a sucker for any sort of football collectibles etc. but there’s nothing that I haven’t got that I’d bother with, which would suggest to me that either I spend too much money on Morton-related tat or the selection is limited, to be kind. I think it’s the latter.

Maybe I’m being harsh and I’m the exception to the rule that wants to see 12 different designs of pin badge of course, but I’d like to see how comparable we are to the likes of Ayr, Raith etc. Ayr certainly seem to have a lot more than we do, as well as a new shop, hub and bar at the ground.

I’d also suggest using social media to punt things indirectly, too. I don’t know how many other clubs do it as I don’t follow them on Facebook, but every action shot Sheffield United put up links whatever kit they’re wearing in the picture to the club shop. Wee things like that are keeping your merchandise in folks’ conscience pretty much all the time.

I don't think ive bought Morton merch since the pre smiths days so I'm probably the target audience of people the club want to entice to start spending their money, and if they can add some new and interesting products I'll be far more inclined now to do so than I would if the club were still showing signs of settling for bare minimum output in all departments. 

Ironically enough if the hat had just been on sale from the outset then I very much doubt I'd have bought anything yet at this point, including the hat. 

32.gif

I'm sure it will be commemorated to be fair to the club. For me it would be a massive missed opportunity not to make a big deal of the club being a massive part of Greenock for 150 years and not just that we've been a football club for 150 years. I'd hope that there would be a real celebration of the club all around town but it's down to the club to make that a reality. It's a potential gold mine in terms of business and commercial opportunities compared to a normal year so I'd be hoping that they'd already be making plans/building relationships with local businesses this year in anticipation for it rather than leaving it to the last minute. 

• Upvote 2

32.gif

24 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I don't think ive bought Morton merch since the pre smiths days so I'm probably the target audience of people the club want to entice to start spending their money, and if they can add some new and interesting products I'll be far more inclined now to do so than I would if the club were still showing signs of settling for bare minimum output in all departments. 

Ironically enough if the hat had just been on sale from the outset then I very much doubt I'd have bought anything yet at this point, including the hat. 

It was on sale before everyone saw Dougie wearing it afaik. I saw a couple of guys wearing it at the Challenge Cup game at Palmerston and remember thinking I’d fancy it but had just bought a Scotland one.

Agree with both Deego and TRVMP’s posts regarding the 150th anniversary. I’d hope there’ll be a book commissioned as was the case for the 100th and 125th anniversaries, but I don’t expect them to put so much into a project like that which won’t exactly be a big money maker.