Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 49 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

42 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Colville, McGuffie and McAdams do have value though. Only in a no doubt small sum of compensation rather than potentially securing a six figure fee, but after the Quitongo, Tiffoney and Russell mess a few years ago we should be avoiding the same mistake.

No they don't. If clubs have to pay a compensation fee for them then they will simply move on to another target instead. Because the supply of 'will do a job' players at Championship level is higher than demand, and the resale value is, realistically speaking, zero.  

That's not a slight on the player's performances but rather the economic reality of playing at this level. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

No they don't. If clubs have to pay a compensation fee for them then they will simply move on to another target instead. Because the supply of 'will do a job' players at Championship level is higher than demand, and the resale value is, realistically speaking, zero.  

That's not a slight on the player's performances but rather the economic reality of playing at this level. 

A club in this division is managed by someone who is not only extremely likely to be interested in the three players in question, but previously paid a fee for Henk Van Schaik.

It remains to be seen if that club will be daft enough to let said manager throw money around like confetti in the same fashion, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Upon his return to the Netherlands he played three games for Almere City reserves. (Incidentally, that's where Charlie Telfer was - in the first team - before he signed for us.) Now he's playing for Eintracht Trier in the German fifth tier. 

He played a part in seven out of eight games for them before their season was suspended back in October. Three bookings in that time. Trier is a beautiful historic city and their football team must be absolutely tripe if "Henk" is a starter there.

On the other hand they had 22 points from a possible 24 so they must be doing something right.

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 weeks later...

James Wallace has played less than one minute of senior football in his career so far - a 91st minute substitute appearance in Ross County's 2-0 win over Partick Thistle in December 2018.

Is he ripe for a Darren Hynes-esque, meteoric rise to first team football? Or is this the 7:28 fast service to the West of Scotland League, calling at Dumbarton, Clydebank, and Muirkirk? Place your bets!

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, TRVMP said:

James Wallace has played less than one minute of senior football in his career so far - a 91st minute substitute appearance in Ross County's 2-0 win over Partick Thistle in December 2018.

Is he ripe for a Darren Hynes-esque, meteoric rise to first team football? Or is this the 7:28 fast service to the West of Scotland League, calling at Dumbarton, Clydebank, and Muirkirk? Place your bets!

This is sadly not true; as well as his stunning 2 (TWO) substitute appearances for us in the League Cup, he did have a season on loan at Brora.

Come to think of it, he actually played more minutes at Cappielow while he was a Brora player than he did as a Morton player.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, Hej said:

Off topic, but the number of senior sides loaning players from the Highland Teuchtar League & the Lowland Banjo-Plucker League is insane. 

Wtf is going on down the pyramids. 

They are shut down and the players want to play. Really surprised Tidser hasn't rocked up somewhere.

After they failed to get Oliver, thought it might be likely that Jim, shackled by his usual lack of transfer contacts and ingenuity, would come crawling back for some of our remaining dregs.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

They are shut down and the players want to play. Really surprised Tidser hasn't rocked up somewhere.

After the failed to get Oliver, thought it might be likely that Jim, shackled by his usual lack of transfer contacts and ingenuity, would come crawling back for some of our remaining dregs.

I understand that part, but why are the players down there in the first place? What are these village clubs doing paying bigger wages than senior sides? Especially in a season like this.

2 minutes ago, Hej said:

I understand that part, but why are the players down there in the first place? What are these village clubs doing paying bigger wages than senior sides? Especially in a season like this.

Same thing happens in some of the non-leagues in England, particularly the ones around the capital. Some used car salesman or something will adopt his local team, and pay some renowned semi-pro 100 quid a goal. It's much more attractive for certain players with outside interests to basically be a low-level mercenary for a club that trains once a week and plays locally, rather than train twice a week and have to give up an entire Saturday.

EOho8Pw.png

42 minutes ago, Hej said:

They are senior sides by the way.

The money difference between there and the L1 and L2 sides is probably not all that different, they might get longer contracts and have more flexibility.

Although a few of the teams are clearly bankrolled and the mercenaries jump.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, DreamOakTree said:

If we rate Spoonsy’s opinion then this article looks quite promising:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/18686291.ex-cappielow-striker-weatherson-backs-omar-morton-hero/

A reminder that we can file 'Spoonsy's opinion' in the same skip as we launch your gormless contributions.

Now that Omar and 'James Wallace' are safely punted to our D team, it's time for them to take their rightful place in the Pantheon of The Worst Morton XI Ever categories. Some muppet like Cham is now edging towards mere mediocrity.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

44 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Opening the door for someone to come?

Loans available up to next week?

Probably just trying to shift folk out the door who quite rightly shouldn’t be getting a game. I’m encouraged that Gus has binned them so quickly and highlighted the bizarre number of outfield players being a problem. 
I did see Billy Mehmet suggest he was returning to Scotland this week, and given he worked with Gus at St Mirren it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up here. We do need a goal scorer, but I’m not sure 36 year old Mehmet is the answer. 

2 hours ago, Hej said:

Funded by Crystal Meth I expect.

I've now watched Strapps penalty against Dunfermline a few times and it's very noticeable that he hardly celebrated considering it was the winner. Makes me wonder where Strappy is going to be next season.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Archived