Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 48 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Scott said:

I wouldn’t blame any player wanting to follow Hopkin, given the absolute state of our club currently. 

I certainly wouldn’t blame any player, but would like to think we’d at least make an offer to them rather than let them walk away like Andy Murdoch.

Just now, RealTonKid said:

I certainly wouldn’t blame any player, but would like to think we’d at least make an offer to them rather than let them walk away like Andy Murdoch.

We didn't 'let' Andy Murdoch walk away due to not being quick enough with contract offers.

The snake in charge chose the midfield selection of Tidser, Millar, McAlister and Telfer instead.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

This is where the takeover causes problems.  If MCT as the putative new owners can't speak to players about extensions now, we could have a situation where we lose our best players due simply to uncertainty.  Not just Jacobs/Macadams but also Colville should be offered extensions.

There is uncertainty about what league we'll be playing in next season and - or at least there should be - an open question about whether we persist with an all full-time model or not. Let's not forget that there also no guarantees about when crowds will be back at games, at what numbers and limitations (e.g. on away support) for next season either. Regardless of any takeover going ahead, those are huge stumbling blocks. It was just three months ago that there was widespread speculation about the club's ability to survive this season FFS.

So no, we really shouldn't be handing out new deals to players who, while decent performers at this level, are i) not sellable assets or ii) irreplaceable. We need to get our house firmly in order first and player retention must be beneath this fundamental task in the list of priorities. 

Starting with an almost entirely blank slate also did us absolutely no harm in 2014/15 or the following years either. Any manager worth their salt would embrace that opportunity to hand-pick their squad, rather than gurn about the difficulty of doing so.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We didn't 'let' Andy Murdoch walk away due to not being quick enough with contract offers.

The snake in charge chose the midfield selection of Tidser, Millar, McAlister and Telfer instead.

There’s a chance Gus MacPherson won’t be in the dugout next season. Do we then let players like McAdams and Jacobs leave without making an offer?

A good manager will have his own players in mind, but should still be able to work with the players he has at his disposal, like managers have with Lyon and Strapp.

3 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

There’s a chance Gus MacPherson won’t be in the dugout next season. Do we then let players like McAdams and Jacobs leave without making an offer?

A good manager will have his own players in mind, but should still be able to work with the players he has at his disposal, like managers have with Lyon and Strapp.

There's EVERY chance Gus MacPherson won't be in the dugout next season.

When we don't know who will own the club, what the budget will be like, what league we will be in or what structure we will operate, then no, we shouldn't be handing out new contracts at will.

Younger players to guarantee our entitlement to compensation should absolutely get an offer. Everyone else will have to wait.

13 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

We shouldn't make them an offer until i) we know how the club is going to actually operate as a business next season - by far the biggest priority - and ii) the management issue is also settled. Once that is in place, then we can offer deals to the existing squad, and if the likes of Jacobs want to stay then great. Perhaps some of them will decide that part time football would now suit them better; in which case we would only be able to accommodate this and give then a competitive offer once we've actually decided first what model we're going to operate with. 

Offering them deals before the end of the current season is not just putting the cart before the horse, but risks making cheques that the club will be unable/unwilling to fulfil into the future if we have a new ownership/budgetary constraints/contract structure/manager in place (any or quite possibly all of the above by 2022). Why should this risk be taken for decent Championship players but ones with zero transfer value? It makes no business sense to do so under our current circumstances.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I live in hope that MCT are currently working behind the scenes on the fundamentals, hence the lack of communication with members. Continuity under the current circumstances seems a luxury, but seeing Ayr and Hopkin circling us certainly depresses me. 

3 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Nobody in this squad is close to good enough to taking risks on, nor has anyone shown beyond doubt that they deserve one. 

Agreed. As much as I like the current squad and wish them the best, with the state we're in now we should only be tying down players for whom we'd receive compensation.

EOho8Pw.png

Stephen McGinn is the first new player we've signed this season that has left me pleased.* He should be (should be) a good acquisition at this level.

ETA - At the point at which they've signed. Been pleased with McAdams overall.

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Why should this risk be taken for decent Championship players but ones with zero transfer value? It makes no business sense to do so under our current circumstances.

Colville, McGuffie and McAdams do have value though. Only in a no doubt small sum of compensation rather than potentially securing a six figure fee, but after the Quitongo, Tiffoney and Russell mess a few years ago we should be avoiding the same mistake.

We can't saddle ourselves with an unsustainable wage bill, but three players aren't going to do that and in such a fragile financial position we also can't afford to miss out on a five figure sum through twiddling our thumbs. I'm assuming there's little chance of us missing out on any meaningful kind of compensation for Salkeld and Wallace which is why I'm not including them.

Anyway, McGinn is a quality signing. Really impressed by MacPherson's ruthlessness here - he's taken one look at our fringe central midfield options and decided we need better. Regardless of how we're setting up, choosing two or three of Jacobs Lyon, McGinn and Colville is a quality set of options and gives us depth if any of them are out.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived