Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 101 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think that we'd be exploring the loan market for strikers in January. Knowles is already gone, and we should be punting Reilly, which should free up a decent amount of cash to bring a player in. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• 1 month later...

Right then. Oksanen will be away and Knowles is already gone. I'd be happy to see Allan and Reilly's loans terminated as well but as it stands that leaves us with:

Hamilton

Ledger, McEntee, Lithgow, McLean, Strapp, Russell, Hynes

Jacobs, Lyon, Blues, McGrattan, King, Allan, McGregor (and Garrity out on loan at Annan)

Ugwu, Oliver, Reilly, Muirhead, Easdale

I think the best XIs we can get out of that as it stands are either in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3/4-5-1 as follows:

Hamilton

Ledger - McEntee - McLean - Strapp

Then either:

McGrattan/Blues - Jacobs - Lyon - Russell

Ugwu - Reilly/Oliver

Or:

Blues - Jacobs - Lyon

McGrattan - Ugwu - Russell

Depending on the specifics of the shape and how much defensive work you're looking for you could justify one of Reilly or Oliver coming in for McGrattan or Russell in the latter option, but I generally don't think either can be trusted defensively.

In an ideal world you'd want to add:

A sub goalkeeper

A right back or centre back to take McLean out of the defence, either in a straight swap or moving Ledger inside

Another central midfield option to take the place of Blues if it's a midfield three

A couple of credible wide options whichever system is preferred 

Another centre forward so we have either a competent partner or alternative to Ugwu.

In reality there is absolutely no chance we're getting six players - three would be a push -  so there has to be some prioritisation there. Imrie is clearly adamant that a sub goalkeeper has to happen. Good.

I think the centre forward has to be essential as without Ugwu we have nothing there at all. While one defender could improve the defence considerably by ensuring Lithgow and Hynes will be nowhere near it barring an injury crisis, our main problem is scoring goals. Is the marginal gain of shoring up the defence worth it if it means having to do without adding some attacking width or presence in midfield?

There's an inescapable conclusion here that Imrie is going to be stuck with what he has in more than one position and has to do a massive job in turning players who've never looked good enough for this level or inexperienced teenagers into competent Championship performers, or failing that getting results out of the minority of the squad who are good enough despite having to pick some guff around them.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

29 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Wonder who it was they thought they had "over the line" this week.

Gardyne maybe?

If it was and Montrose have gazumped us, that's bad news.

Wouldn't have wanted him after what he's done. 

52 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Wonder who it was they thought they had "over the line" this week.

Gardyne maybe?

If it was and Montrose have gazumped us, that's bad news.

I thought Robbie Crawford, CM out of favour at Motherwell, just signed for Thistle.

38 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Fair comment, but my point was really if it was, and Montrose can offer a better deal than us we're in a bad way indeed 

I think its probably Robbie Crawford who went to Thistle rather than Gardyne, if it is Gardyne though fully understand your concerns

It's very possible that Inverness didn't want to lose Gardyne to a team in the same division (many of whom would surely take him, were he offered), rather than Montrose winning a bidding war.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived