Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 107 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

This kind of news is how best to promote MCT - if fans think their contributions are resulting in the club being able to be pro-active to secure our best talent more could be encouraged to join. Excellent news in a strangely positive environment for all things Morton at the moment. I, of course, am ignoring the expected miscarriage of justice when Imrie appears before the blazered beaks later in the week.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's too far fetched to assume that the club wouldn't only offer one player a new contract this early before the end of the season so hopefully there's more good news to come. 

A lot of players at this level value security over the potential to make slightly more money testing the waters in the summer so getting offers in early could mean keeping the heart of the squad together. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

A lot of players at this level value security over the potential to make slightly more money testing the waters in the summer so getting offers in early could mean keeping the heart of the squad together. 

Agreed.  Hopefully the end of the one year deal nonsense with which I believe we were shooting ourselves in the foot with.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It's hard to believe Lyon's still only 21. That's tremendous business getting another two year deal rather than just one, and it's encouraging that we're already signing players up. It's a good sign of the faith in Imrie that the club are allowing him to tie players down already, and Lyon signing up tells you how much the players are enjoying working with him.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

It's hard to believe Lyon's still only 21. That's tremendous business getting another two year deal rather than just one, and it's encouraging that we're already signing players up. It's a good sign of the faith in Imrie that the club are allowing him to tie players down already, and Lyon signing up tells you how much the players are enjoying working with him.

Must be one of the younger players to manage 100 competitive appearances for the club. He's also made more than fifty league starts - not appearances, starts - in that time. It's a pretty impressive achievement.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. If he keeps up his progression on the pitch there's no reason why he can't manage a move elsewhere, but we'll also get something out of it if that occurs. Good business for him, and good business for us.

EOho8Pw.png

This suggests to me that players maybe now find it a more attractive prospect to play for Morton. It sends out a message that we are serious about trying to put together a squad to challenge for promotion. This sort of move will make coming to Morton a more attractive prospect for better players. What a difference a decent manager with a positive attitude makes. We now look like a club that won’t accept mediocrity as the best we can hope for.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

7 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Must be one of the younger players to manage 100 competitive appearances for the club. He's also made more than fifty league starts - not appearances, starts - in that time. It's a pretty impressive achievement.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. If he keeps up his progression on the pitch there's no reason why he can't manage a move elsewhere, but we'll also get something out of it if that occurs. Good business for him, and good business for us.

All the more impressive when you consider that in the time since he made his debut we've had two reduced seasons with no football between March & October, and he had Hopkin pretty much bomb him out for months as well.

As far as I can see Derek Collins hit 100 at 20, Jim McAlister and David Wylie also did at 21 but McAlister a few months younger and Wylie a few weeks older than Lyon when he made it. When you consider that the players being compared to there are the club's top two record appearance holders ever in Collins and Wylie who both broke through when we had 44 or 39 game seasons, it's obviously much easier for a goalkeeper to run up the appearances and McAlister had no competition for his place at wing back whatsoever to the point he ran up over 100 consecutive appearances at a young age as well, it's a flattering comparison for a central midfielder in 2022. Someone as (deservedly) hyped as Lewis Strapp didn't hit that number until after turning 22.

Edit: Missed the other obvious comparison in the current squad - Mark Russell hit 100 at 20.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

10 hours ago, Alibi said:

This suggests to me that players maybe now find it a more attractive prospect to play for Morton. It sends out a message that we are serious about trying to put together a squad to challenge for promotion. This sort of move will make coming to Morton a more attractive prospect for better players. What a difference a decent manager with a positive attitude makes. We now look like a club that won’t accept mediocrity as the best we can hope for.

Hopefully this proves to be right but Lyon is a local boy still supported by his family so there's other reasons he'd sign a contract here. For me the big test will be getting some of the more experienced players to commit. 

Archived