Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 98 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Never known a transfer deadline day like this one.  Gives us options.  I hope we don't just have these guys on the bench while Muirhead and Blues start.

Anyone still got the Finnish flags?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Never known a transfer deadline day like this one. 

We did have a wild 4 signing day last season too but don't think it was deadline day.

Definitely enjoyable for once and the additions look good.

Love having g a Finnish player in the team so was disappointed when we 'missed out' on Virtanen. Delighted we look to have went and got a better one.

Pleasantly surprised with the number of signings completed. Hopefully at least one of them can hit a set-piece as well instead of the nonsense that we've been trying so far. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Must say I never expected four signings in the last 2 days of the transfer window, so that was a very pleasant surprise. Gavin Reilly is proven at this level and I think it's a safe bet he'll be a very solid addition to the squad. The other three guys from down south are less known to us obviously, but looking at their backgrounds there's every reason to be optimistic that they too should be capable at Championship level. Hopefully if the Finish boy is as good we all hope, we'll be able to extend his loan to the end of the season.

So all in all a very good couple of days in the office for Gus, he has left the doubters that he'd be capable of getting in some quality before the transfer window closed, myself included, with egg on our faces. 

Gus' patient approach seems to have paid off, so credit where it's due to him and by extension also to MCT. 

Really surprised with the 4 signings I thought we might have got nobody in bar Reilly and that would have even a disaster. 

Interested to see how they all get on. Reilly is a proven goal scorer at this level and the other young boys have played at a decent level so it looks like all good bits of business. 

6 hours ago, port-ton said:

I Put Oksanen's name in on youtube to see if there were highlights to see what kind of player he was. 

Hes the only player in the entire world not to have a highlight reel so I skimmed through a live stream of Cypriot first division team Pafos vs Brentford B that Brentford won 6-0 in March 2020.

From the bits I saw he's a Central midfielder with a cultured left foot, good passing ability and more than willing to come take the ball off defenders and spray the ball about. Even intelligent enough to slot in to centre back or left back when those positions brought the ball out of defence, although I very much doubt gus will be asking him to do that! 

Took indirect free kicks for them as well and set up the first goal with an excellent delivery in to the box. 

The exact former morton player he reminded me of most was Tidser so you might be in luck 👍

Here's hoping.🤞

At 28:50 in this video he puts in a delivery from a free kick for the first goal that we've been sorely missing so far this season.  

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Now the window's closed, comparing the turnover of the squad

McAdams & Butler out; Hamilton in

McGinty & Fjortoft out; Lithgow & McEntee in

McGinn, Millar, Omar & Colville out; Oksanen in

McGuffie, Nesbitt and Johnson out; Russell and Allan in

Salkeld, Orsi, Sterling and Wallace out; Ugwu, Reilly and Knowles in

When you look at that you see just how much deadwood we've shifted and the lack of depth in central midfield is the only place where we're obviously weaker. Happy to have been completely proven wrong by Hamilton's performances so far. How good we're going to be out wide is an unknown at this point, but I'm happy enough with the squad for all I'd like one more central midfield option.

Not to get too hung up on formation, but I could see a variation on the set up of the playoffs like this:

Hamilton

Ledger - Lithgow - McEntee - Strapp

Jacobs - ??? - Oksanen

Allan

Ugwu - Reilly

I've gone for Allan in behind the front two with freedom to roam rather than being on the right of a conventional 4-3-3 as I don't really see Reilly playing on the left, but you can see we've got flexibility now to change that to a few different systems. Could put Russell or McGregor in on the left with Allan dropping back to the right in a four, take one of the forwards out and have a 4-2-3-1, etc. I reckon ten of that team pretty much picks itself at the moment, it's just the question of which of Lyon, McGrattan, Blues, Russell or Oliver is in there with them.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

The ones from down south do not count.

Oh aye, I misunderstood the difference between 'Club' and 'Scottish Football club'. If an international clearance certificate is required there is no limit. That's a FIFA requirement, I guess.

EOho8Pw.png

33 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Oh aye, I misunderstood the difference between 'Club' and 'Scottish Football club'. If an international clearance certificate is required there is no limit. That's a FIFA requirement, I guess.

Aye. There's no such thing as a loan between different countries. It's a temporary transfer.

9 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

When you look at that you see just how much deadwood we've shifted and the lack of depth in central midfield is the only place where we're obviously weaker. Happy to have been completely proven wrong by Hamilton's performances so far. How good we're going to be out wide is an unknown at this point, but I'm happy enough with the squad for all I'd like one more central midfield option.

Not to get too hung up on formation, but I could see a variation on the set up of the playoffs like this:

Hamilton

Jacobs - ??? - Oksanen

Allan

Ugwu - Reilly

I've gone for Allan in behind the front two with freedom to roam rather than being on the right of a conventional 4-3-3 as I don't really see Reilly playing on the left, but you can see we've got flexibility now to change that to a few different systems. Could put Russell or McGregor in on the left with Allan dropping back to the right in a four, take one of the forwards out and have a 4-2-3-1, etc. I reckon ten of that team pretty much picks itself at the moment, it's just the question of which of Lyon, McGrattan, Blues, Russell or Oliver is in there with them.

Sounds a bit like “Quality over Quantity”

19 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Hamilton

Jacobs - ??? - Oksanen

Allan

Ugwu - Reilly

It would be good if Lyon could get his form back.  Needs game time, but an in form Lyon would be the best of the 5 options imho. Anyway, things looking up.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

18 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Hamilton

Jacobs - ??? - Oksanen

Allan

Ugwu - Reilly

You'd like to think that team pretty much picks itself but Gus will probably find a way to play muirhead.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived