Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 93 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

there's the danger that we could crush some of these young guys confidence if we continue to rely on them. Hynes and McGregor being the two that spring to mind.

McGregor aye but Hynes is 22. Inexperienced, yes, but if he can't swim at 22 then WTF is he still doing here?

Not sure exactly what age McGregor is seeing as a player who is currently getting starts and is one of our youths doesn't warrant any evidence of his existence on the official site.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

To be fair I think most of us would rather the funds went elsewhere too 

It's striking the right balance and having sufficient cover which is important though.  Is there a reliable part-time keeper or perhaps someone at the tail end of their career who could do a job for us on a retainer basis eg. Someone like Cammy Bell except maybe not him as he's got a coaching role at Annan.  But someone like that?

ETA - Craig Samson maybe?

Discuss.

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

It's striking the right balance and having sufficient cover which is important though.  Is there a reliable part-time keeper or perhaps someone at the tail end of their career who could do a job for us on a retainer basis eg. Someone like Cammy Bell except maybe not him as he's got a coaching role at Annan.  But someone like that?

ETA - Craig Samson maybe?

Discuss.

Why would we do that when we could just go out and get someone in an emergency anyway?

We've got a keeper on the bench who could come in to see out the game if necessary with the option of then bringing in an emergency. Its a lot more sensible than having no keepers on the bench last season.

Yeah, I've got no problem with having only one senior goalkeeper at the club. The issue last season was not even including Wylie on the bench, provided he remains available we're fine for goalkeepers and can bring an emergency loan in if required. We can't go wasting a wage on another goalkeeper when we need so many additions elsewhere in the squad.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, so72 said:

We've got a keeper on the bench who could come in to see out the game if necessary with the option of then bringing in an emergency. Its a lot more sensible than having no keepers on the bench last season.

The correct approach.

In the highly unlikely event we lose Hamilton during a game, Wylie gets a fraction of a match then we get someone in. 

More likely we lose him in training, we get someone in.

Even more likely, we don't lose him at all.

The greetin' from many last season about us not signing another keeper was way ott.

The issue was not putting Wylie on the bench just in case. That was probably more to do with the outrageously large squad Hopkin built and trying to keep more players happy instead of giving a slot to a youth keeper.

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

The correct approach.

In the highly unlikely even we lose Hamilton during a game, Wylie gets a fraction of a match then we get someone in. 

More likely we lose him in training, we get someone in.

Even more likely, we don't lose him at all.

The greetin' from many last season about us not signing another keeper was way ott.

The issue was not putting Wylie on the bench just in case. That was probably more to do with the outrageously large squad Hopkin built and trying to keep more players happy instead of giving a slot to a youth keeper.

I think the point some are making is that Gus was one of the ones greeting. 

Find it bizarre that we need to pay if we want to hear from our manager every week. Don't hear from him on official channels after a game until days later if at all. Can't remember the last time we had a manager we heard so little from than we have this summer onwards. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Massive couple of days coming up. If Reilly gets confirmed that'll give us some competent centre forward options, ie enough to keep Muirhead out the team even with a couple missing. However more quality up front isn't going to mean much if the ball is never reaching them due to the midfield being overrun while we need to score four every week because we concede from every other corner. We still need more defensive depth, preferably a right back to allow us to move Ledger inside, some width in midfield and a couple of central midfielders.

I don't see us getting any more than two of those with the way MacPherson's talking and the great success of his holding out for targets strategy so far. I can only hope he was deliberately talking shite for some reason or other when he said he's happy with our midfield options, as central midfield remains the obvious glaring weakness in the team.

You can get away with a lack of wide options by playing a narrow midfield (which is why it'd be nice if the extra defensive depth could be a so easy to find attacking right back who's also competent defensively), but we have no credible alternative to Jacobs in holding midfield, who is himself looking like a shadow of the player he's been the last two seasons through being played in a box to box role that he clearly isn't suited to accommodate Blues in the holding role.

While Oliver has had some good games this season, we simply can't depend on him defensively playing this deep - it's too easy for the opposition to take control of the midfield with him in there and managers have already sussed that out before the end of August. If he’s playing it should be further up the park where his defensive responsibility is pressing the opposition defence rather than getting into midfield scraps. That leaves Lyon, out of form and favour under our last three managers, and McGrattan, 9 appearances for us and a loan spell in the Lowland League his only experience, as the creative central options.

Two central midfielders are therefore essential. Ideally you'd get a couple of wide options as well, as I still have no idea if Russell can actually play there at this level and McGregor, while he clearly has something about him, isn't ready to be starting games in the Championship. It could do more harm than good for a 17 year old's development to fling him into the pressure of a relegation battle. If it's either or then the central midfielders come first though.

You can survive the lack of wide options for all it would leave us with an imbalanced squad, but we will not stay in this division with the central midfield as it is.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

13 hours ago, HamCam said:

I see the Tele has an article where Gus is less than happy he is missing out on his targets. If anyone is a 'premium' member it would be interesting to hear what else Gus has to say on this issue.

That's what happens when you hold off for certain players. 

Any decent manager would have a number of targets and contingency plans if he missed out and move on quickly. All the soundbites coming form Cappielow are that Gus had his mind on certain targets so this was always going to happen which was why most of us where annoyed. 

He's not moved on to waiting til deadline day which is just as worrying. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Find it bizarre that we need to pay if we want to hear from our manager every week. Don't hear from him on official channels after a game until days later if at all. Can't remember the last time we had a manager we heard so little from than we have this summer onwards. 

This is a big summer for us too. As much positive communication as possible was needed along with being decisive in the transfer market if there was to be any sort of feelgood factor. 

There will obviously be bumps in the road for fan ownership and things like stadium ownership is understandable but this could have been avoided. 

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Not that its important but I dont like our official website referring to our rivals as The Buddies. Be more petty please!

Also, good signing - hope a midfielder to deliver some service is next along with a cb and a rb (at least one or the other).

Archived