Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 90 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we have the same squad in two weeks time that we have now then it's a total dereliction of duty. After losing quite a lot of faith over the summer, I was quite bouyed by the first two games but that good will its evaporating again

Gus MacPherson looks set to bolster his front line as he closes in on the signing of 20-year-old Jimmy Knowles on loan from EFL League Two side Mansfield Town.

Knowles will go straight into the squad for Saturday’s match against Queen of the South, subject to international clearance, as the Ton manager's recruitment drive continues with potentially a few recruits arriving before then.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Gus MacPherson looks set to bolster his front line as he closes in on the signing of 20-year-old Jimmy Knowles on loan from EFL League Two side Mansfield Town.

Knowles will go straight into the squad for Saturday’s match against Queen of the South, subject to international clearance, as the Ton manager's recruitment drive continues with potentially a few recruits arriving before then.

Its a slow drive haha. 

Ugwu wont be dropped so wonder if we will play two up top

17 minutes ago, so72 said:

Its a slow drive haha. 

Ugwu wont be dropped so wonder if we will play two up top

'Adding to the squad' is the operative phrase for now; we've had to adjust our team shape and move Oliver further forward both weeks when taking a forward off, as there have been no other options. 

A concern for me is why an English League Two club with 50+ games to play this season aren't wanting to keep such a 'pacey forward with an eye for goal' at least as an option in their own first team squad. The standard is not any better than the Scottish second tier, so my expectation is that we'd be getting a standard of player more suitable for 'Airdrie' or another third tier permadiddy.

Of course Knowles might prove better suited to the game up here but that is a realistic benchmark. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Never heard of the boy but his track record does suggest more of a punt than holding out for quality. As VT points out Knowles appears to be more of a squad filler than a player who will take us on to the next level. I wonder what quality signing we will swoop for next?

Young lad who seemed to do well in an alright Notts County team (albeit in the conference). Did any of our players reach 9 goals last season?

Sounds like he could be a decent partner for Gozie. Much more excited at the prospect of seeing him than Muirhead's 'run around and do something' technique. 

Looks more and more likely that gus will be sticking with this 352 formation. If so I would say it leaves us looking for a centre half, central midfielder and a more advanced creative midfielder to play in the roll that Oliver has been playing in, at a minimum. Anything after that would be a bonus, possibly someone to challenge hynes for rwb and keep ledger right of the back three.

Good to get one of the 4 experienced, established pros in that Gus was looking for to help the younger lads!!

Hopefully the boy does well, 10 goals in his first professional season is decent and at a decent enough level.

Seems to be well liked by Mansfield and Notts County fans and can finish well going by his goals on YouTube.

Hopefully give Robbie I've turned a corner Muirhead something to think about.

Some creative attacking players next please.

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

'Adding to the squad' is the operative phrase for now; we've had to adjust our team shape and move Oliver further forward both weeks when taking a forward off, as there have been no other options. 

A concern for me is why an English League Two club with 50+ games to play this season aren't wanting to keep such a 'pacey forward with an eye for goal' at least as an option in their own first team squad. The standard is not any better than the Scottish second tier, so my expectation is that we'd be getting a standard of player more suitable for 'Airdrie' or another third tier permadiddy.

Of course Knowles might prove better suited to the game up here but that is a realistic benchmark. 

I had a quick look on their forum, apparently they had three senior forwards and some other young guy ahead of him. Not saying he's a nailed-on success but it doesn't look like he's hopeless either. There's still some faith in him there. 

I keep thinking back to Kazaiah Sterling, a youth international with great pedigree in the youth game (all kinds of awards at PL2 level) but looked lost with us and apparently stank the place out at Southend as well. I wonder what's going on there? Is he just off his game, is he not focused mentally? Or maybe he just can't make the jump? Ruben Sammut was allegedly a top youth star at Chelsea before joining Falkirk for a minging loan spell. Now he's at tier 6 in England.

Not sure where I'm going with this except that it's a hat trick for young Goalsey against the Doonhamers on Saturday. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

I just hope he turns out a better signing than Jack Hastie, especially as it’s a season loan rather than till Christmas!

I was talking to a pal who is a Motherwell fan last night about this. Said Hastie's attitude was terrible last season and he's let his move get to his head. Be interesting to see how the move to thistle goes.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived