Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 87 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Despite the MCT promises, Is it not possible the lack of signings is related to the delay in transferring ownership? As it stands any contractual obligations would rest with the existing owners and therefore could they be unwilling to commit to any new player contracts if they have concerns over the MCT deal happening? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SLO has tweeted about the club still peddling the 'right' player patter. 

They've had nearly 3 months since the play off final. And we are missing 4, possibly 5 first team players. I will piss myself if we have one goalkeeper this season considering Gus wouldn't shut up about it last season. 

19 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I'd call them marginally bigger. You can make the case for that being down to our own underachieving, rather than their brilliance, but it is what it is.

That's the worst party line ive ever heard tbh. We've missed the boat on good players and are scraping the barrel big time

TIME FOR CHANGE!

If the right players are Andy Murdoch and Gavin Gunning type game changers then fine. If they're the dregs of Premier league youth teams after our rivals get first pick at them then god help us. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

If the right players are Andy Murdoch and Gavin Gunning type game changers then fine. If they're the dregs of Premier league youth teams after our rivals get first pick at them then god help us. 

If the latter is the case MCT are reneging over their quality promise.

I'm not sure that it's in the best interests of the SLO to be wading into first team affairs like this tbh. While fans are looking for information, the SLO would be better off steering clear of that hospital ball and let the manager speak about it instead. 

In any case, there's a false either/or choice being set up here between 'panic signed haddies'/'patiently acquired quality players'. The supply of quality players gets lower as the transfer window progresses, which is why non-tinpot full-time clubs have been busy filling their squads this month rather than playing 'wait and see'. Every single egg is currently being placed in the basket of McPherson being able to both identify and get these 'quality' signings over the line after the league campaign has already begun, which is a risk that no competent professional football club should be tolerating in its recruitment process. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

29 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

That's the worst party line ive ever heard tbh. We've missed the boat on good players and are scraping the barrel big time

You quoted my post about Raith. Presumably the wrong quote. But aye, I'm all for not loading the team with panic signings and regens... but we still have to come up with the goods. 

EOho8Pw.png

Really is a huge disappointment. The most exciting season in years, getting to return to Cappielow and finally having control of the club. A chance to finally act like a competent football club.

Instead, we are somehow more incompetent than before and, of the very few signings we have made, one of them is a sex offender. Way to fritter away good will eh.

20 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Jack Hamilton being offered as the type of quality to reassure fans! I really hope it works but the reality is most other clubs had no interest in what we viewed as a quality signing.

Yeah, to his credit he's had three good performances so far but we were genuinely signing the goalkeeper with the worst reputation in full-time football in Scotland, it's not like we were battling everyone else in the division to get him. To find full-time players with reputations in a similar place you'd have to look to Falkirk jobbers or players who left us - Hamilton's reputation was absolutely in the same place as Sean McGinty, viewed as a bullet fans were desperate for their club to dodge.

If he goes on to change that reputation with his performances here then that'll be great and hopefully he does, but it's not like we've pulled off a coup by signing him in the first place. If that's what we're looking at as an exciting signing then we shouldn't be expecting much even if MacPherson does get his targets.

MacPherson may well have identified his first choice options and be willing to play the waiting game for them (although that information certainly shouldn't be coming from the SLO). However there's a balance to be struck between rushing in to sign any old shite to have a squad together as early as possible in the manner of Hopkin signing Orsi, and spending so long waiting for quality to come along that you start the season woefully underprepared and effectively write off the first few games.

There's also the much greater risk that you end up with absolute dregs as a result of waiting for those first choice options to sign and it never happening. While some late signings have been successful for us in the past, most notably Gunning and Murdoch, the odds are you're far more likely to end up wasting a wage on iredeemable shite like Adam Coakley, Jay Shields, Rory McKeown or Kudus Oyenuga in a panic when you desperately need bodies and players of that calibre are all that's left.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Absolutely worried regarding our lack of activity. I am totally for not signing any old shite but I am shocked at how little has been done player wise in the last few weeks. Worried we are under prepared and don’t want us losing 3/4 goals in these first few games until the “quality” arrives. 

If we are holding out for these younger players on loan from Premier League clubs then I am concerned going forward with the Ross MacIver’s and Ross MacLean’s of the world being our first choice quality signings.

There's only so long you can hang over for before moving to the next target and we've passed that point. Maybe if it was one or two players but we're going into our first league game about five short from where the squad should be. 

12 hours ago, HamCam said:

Jack Hamilton being offered as the type of quality to reassure fans! I really hope it works but the reality is most other clubs had no interest in what we viewed as a quality signing.

To be fair to Hamilton in the games I have seen he's played very well. Early days but a good signing. 

For weeks I've been expecting a load of announcements on new signings yet here we are the day before the season starts and we are still waiting on these announcements and are at the very least 4/5 players short. If the manager comes out today and announces these signings and explained why it took so long to get them over the line then for enough but I can't see any of that happening. Really frustrating.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

For weeks I've been expecting a load of announcements on new signings yet here we are the day before the season starts and we are still waiting on these announcements and are at the very least 4/5 players short. If the manager comes out today and announces these signings and explained why it took so long to get them over the line then for enough but I can't see any of that happening. Really frustrating.

This. I wasn't thrilled about Gus getting the job but I understood why the club went for him. The one hope I had was that he and Millen should have a good list of contacts that would benefit us in recruitment and loans, but there's precious little evidence of that at this time. 

At this point we are miles away from being competitive and it's looking like a real struggle to survive. 

Archived