Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 86 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

1 hour ago, bigB said:

What do others think is the problem that we can't seem to be able to sign players. We are 4  days away from the new season and at the very least 4 players short in the squad . Is it a case we are offering poor wages or do players just see us as a joke of a club.

The latter imo.  It's been mentioned elsewhere we're working with a similar budget to what Hopkin was working with and we're looking for fewer players so we should be able to get bodies in.

Unfortunately its an open secret within Scottish Football that we are a diddy/joke club run in an amateurish fashion thanks to the Raes.  The biggest job MCT will have after keeping the lights on will be to fix that reputation.

If money is an issue then it must give weight to looking at the squad being a mix of full time and part time.  How many decent part time players have knocked us back over the years due to our full time wages not being good enough?

here today, gone to hell

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

The latter imo.  It's been mentioned elsewhere we're working with a similar budget to what Hopkin was working with and we're looking for fewer players so we should be able to get bodies in.

Unfortunately its an open secret within Scottish Football that we are a diddy/joke club run in an amateurish fashion thanks to the Raes.  The biggest job MCT will have after keeping the lights on will be to fix that reputation.

If money is an issue then it must give weight to looking at the squad being a mix of full time and part time.  How many decent part time players have knocked us back over the years due to our full time wages not being good enough?

I agree with this to an extent, I think more than anything else it's the last 3 years or so under Crawford that has done the damage. If the money was there, I don't think players had an issue joining us previously, but the reputation of the club seems to have bombed in the last couple of years. 

Whatever Morton fans think of Dougie's legacy, I think players and managers liked him (on the whole). Crawford didn't manage to hire a manager who then didn't suddenly walk away from the job. I do wonder what that type of management has done to the reputation of the club (as well as other things). 

As for a part-time/full-time hybrid. While I wouldn't want that ruled out in individual cases, I don't actually think there are enough good part-time players for whom that would really make a difference. Part-time players would still pick clubs like Arbroath over us if it was more convenient for them. IMO that would only accelerate us on the slippery slope to being a club more like Airdrie. 

17 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Part-time players would still pick clubs like Arbroath over us if it was more convenient for them. IMO that would only accelerate us on the slippery slope to being a club more like Airdrie. 

I think the part-time, full-time hybrid system could work if we focused just on the very best if the part-timers. I'm sure quite a few of them could get full-time professional contracts at Championship level if they so wished, but have good careers outside the game. Anyone with such a career that is well paid and/or rewarding would be mad to give that up for a one year full-time contract at Cappielow, or anywhere else at Championship level for that matter,

And assuming that most of the part-timers live and work in the central belt, I think we'd be a more attractive and convenient option than Arbroath, for the majority of them anyway.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I agree with this to an extent, I think more than anything else it's the last 3 years or so under Crawford that has done the damage. If the money was there, I don't think players had an issue joining us previously, but the reputation of the club seems to have bombed in the last couple of years. 

Whatever Morton fans think of Dougie's legacy, I think players and managers liked him (on the whole). Crawford didn't manage to hire a manager who then didn't suddenly walk away from the job. I do wonder what that type of management has done to the reputation of the club (as well as other things). 

As for a part-time/full-time hybrid. While I wouldn't want that ruled out in individual cases, I don't actually think there are enough good part-time players for whom that would really make a difference. Part-time players would still pick clubs like Arbroath over us if it was more convenient for them. IMO that would only accelerate us on the slippery slope to being a club more like Airdrie. 

Why would Arbroath be 'more convenient?

If they lived in the east coast primarily. 

Folk were mentioning Russell McLean as a potential signing for us and then he signed for Peterhead. Shay Logan signing for Cove. Part of the attraction apart from the wage is allowing them to continue their jobs in oil and gas presumably. 

There are cases like Ricky Little who commutes through from Ardrossan and has done for about 8 years, which is mental but points towards something else as well given part time. 

29 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Why would Arbroath be 'more convenient?

Like I said, it is when it is.

I used Arbroath as an example because they happen to be the part-time club doing alright at the moment - and there's never really space for more than one at a time. My point was that I don't think it's as simple as picking up the best part time players. There are a number of factors for players to consider. If a player has a full time job and lives over towards the east, then Arbroath might be more convenient - there are players in Arbroath's squad which that definitely applies to and others it doesn't. Part time players are often just looking to enjoy their football and make a wee bit of extra money more than anything else. Unless we're offering part time players full time wages, I don't think we'd be a massive draw for them. 

That's why I said I wouldn't rule it out on an individual, case by case, basis. But I'm really not convinced that the pros outweighs the cons to change to that type of model for the squad as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

My point is that Arbroath arent a typical East coast catchment club as they usually train and are based in Glasgow, only expecting players to head up there for matches.

I thought they trained in Perth 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

My point was that I don't think it's as simple as picking up the best part time players. There are a number of factors for players to consider. If a player has a full time job and lives over towards the east, then Arbroath might be more convenient - there are players in Arbroath's squad which that definitely applies to and others it doesn't. Part time players are often just looking to enjoy their football and make a wee bit of extra money more than anything else. Unless we're offering part time players full time wages, I don't think we'd be a massive draw for them. 

That's why I said I wouldn't rule it out on an individual, case by case, basis. But I'm really not convinced that the pros outweighs the cons to change to that type of model for the squad as a whole. 

If a part time player is working a regular Monday to Friday job, you can't make an exception on an 'individual, case by case basis'. They can't train with the first team squad because their work completely overlaps with the current training schedule at Cappielow.

To give GMFC full access to both full time and part time player markets, you need to change the training structure to a hybrid model first. Main squad training should be held in evenings rather than daytime, which can be used by those on professional deals for conditioning. Which means that there is actually no need for half of the glorified Herbalife salesmen at this level of the game to be awarded a 'professional' deal, when they can get a real job during the day. Somehow we'll cope without the next James Wallace getting to devote his entire week to his non-existent skills. 

Keeping the same structure in place that has the club pointlessly circling the drain every year is absolute madness, borne out by this summer's transfer dealings being a totally predictable nick. There are no pros to being the absolute bottom of the barrel option to dung Scottish full-time footballers: we are losing out on credible targets across the board. We are not exploring any other national pool of professional players either, so the current full-time only setup serves no fucking purpose. It is an out of date vanity choice because Dougie wanted us to be a full-time club twenty years ago but has failed to sustain it in the long-term. 

The club should have ditched that model this summer and any negative outcome from this season will be squarely on those who chose to kick that can down the road and gormlessly hope for the best.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

To give GMFC full access to both full time and part time player markets, you need to change the training structure to a hybrid model first.

I see Raith are moving the other way for this season, ditching the hybrid model for completely full time.

Not advocating one over the other, just noting.

Unrelated…are Raith a bigger club than us? I’ve always seen them as pretty much the same/a wee bit smaller, but  (I’m assuming) their relative success in the 90s just edges them ahead in people’s minds? They always seem to be seen in a rung above Morton. 

3 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Yes - they are bigger

That was a good few days without you downvoting any of my posts, you had me worried petal.

They’ve been a bit of a shambles for the last two decades, though still not as much as us. Isn’t their average support smaller than ours?

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

That was a good few days without you downvoting any of my posts, you had me worried petal.

They’ve been a bit of a shambles for the last two decades, though still not as much as us. Isn’t their average support smaller than ours?

Yeah, that's called having a job and little to no time to sift through your pish and downvote you. Should try it out! That said, i'll get back onto it. 

Have another!

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Just now, TONofmemories said:

Yeah, that's called having a job and little to no time to sift through your pish and downvote you. Should try it out! That said, i'll get back onto it. 

Have another!

You still manage it wee man. It’s good to see you’re still a seething mess though, over…god knows what? Your commitment to demonstrating how upset you are on a daily basis is admirable though. Keep at it. 

Raith were losing £400k a year in the seaside leagues just a couple of years ago and if their latest Walter Mitty owner wants to bet their dump of a house on finishing in the play-offs and getting enough prize money to cover their squad every year, then they're welcome to do that. It'll likely end in tears though and they'd be back beneath us in the pecking order soon enough (see also United, Ayr).

That will only happen though if the arse doesn't completely fall out of this once-proud football club in the meantime, which is nowhere near assured. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Sounding like a broken record here but we aren't going to have any new players in for Saturday are we? Bit of a shambles if so and he lack of any sort of update on this from the manager  is alarming.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Sounding like a broken record here but we aren't going to have any new players in for Saturday are we? Bit of a shambles if so and he lack of any sort of update on this from the manager  is alarming.

Must be waiting on all the signings before making sure the squad list is up to date on the site. 

Archived