Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 85 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

14 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I agree with this. While the squad is utterly threadbare, I'd rather that than have a bloated squad with a bunch of guys who aren't really good enough.

Like Blues and Muirhead?

Happy for Gus to wait if it means picking up a quality player he has targeted, but it should be 1 or 2 tops with our first league game next week, not half a team.

We have brought in 4 players in 2 months, whilst 15 left. We have went with a better budget than last season ( equivalent to the budget of 2019-20 was quoted) so I'm expecting big things from these players he has been waiting on.

It should have a fresh start, optimistic feel to it, but instead most of us are scunnered and already thinking about a relegation battle.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All well and saying that Gus is waiting for quality players, but if they aren't already available then there's no guarantee that they will become available in the coming weeks or that they'd want to join us if they do become available. 

Our season and frankly his job will most likely rely on what he's able to pull off in the coming weeks as the squad is nowhere near the level needed and is arguably even worse than last seasons dross at this point. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If Gus has got a 1 year deal he’d have been under more pressure to get players in quickly to hit the ground running in the first league game. With the 2 year deal he comes across as being in no hurry and quite relaxed about having a competitive squad ready in whatever time it takes. He said tonight’s game is irrelevant and he’s giving the impression he won’t be that fussed about the first league game either. I would’ve thought tonight’s game would be an ideal test for the players.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Cammy Smith, who ran us ragged with Ayr United last season, is returning home from his spell playing in the US. St Mirren connection there so might be one that Gus will look at?

Just signed a 2 year deal with Partick Thistle.

Why can't we get any nice things this pre season?

25 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

A: Because we're operating at the bottom of the full-time market, with no other source of players/scouting knowledge than any other football club in the country. And so we spend the summer 'waiting on quality' that inevitably goes elsewhere, before panic-signing duds (August/September).

The first team structure of the club needs to be ripped up ASAP. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Fuck. That's a great signing.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The lack of decent signings, or lately, any signings at all, is worrying. I thought maybe the takeover would mean some improvement but so far it’s made no difference.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Why would a takeover make any difference, when the first decision made was to keep the same first team structure and even the same manager as the old regime? Players aren't rejecting Morton because they hate MCT or joining because they love Gus McPherson: they're going for a good financial package and decent prospects on the park. GMFC offer neither of those things right now, and we will remain near the bottom of a long pecking order until that changes. 

That the manager does not seem to have any sort of scouting or contacts beyond the Scottish leagues is making the problem worse IMO, but I'll see what the final haul is by September before drawing a final conclusion from that. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Gus said he was hoping to have two new players in by the end of last week, hopefully they’re in at some point this week before Saturday. Said he wants to add three or four before the end of the window, wonder if the three or four will all be loans.

1 hour ago, Gmfcrg said:

Gus said he was hoping to have two new players in by the end of last week, hopefully they’re in at some point this week before Saturday. 

Or they went somewhere else and we are back to square fucked.

Said in post match interview that he wants 4 players. Hinted that he wanted experienced players but not sure where he will get them from at this stage of the season. 

Doesn't really seem like someone who wants to give youth a chance either unless he's forced in to it. 

Quality of these four players will be a big indication on where we stand as a club. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

10 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Said in post match interview that he wants 4 players. Hinted that he wanted experienced players but not sure where he will get them from at this stage of the season. 

Doesn't really seem like someone who wants to give youth a chance either unless he's forced in to it. 

Quality of these four players will be a big indication on where we stand as a club. 

Where did you hear this? Ive heard the exact opposite re giving youth a chance.

42 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Or they went somewhere else and we are back to square fucked.

McCall said Cammy Smith had other options, wonder if we were one of them.

Kind of player I'm hoping we are looking at.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Where did you hear this? Ive heard the exact opposite re giving youth a chance.

Post match interview up on youtube earlier. Was adamant we needed 4 players and said the youth had impressed him but he wants experienced players that know their way about the pitch etc. 

I'd argue the youth players have showed more match intelligence than a lot of the more experienced players in pre season tbh. 

We definitely do need more experience in but it also has to be quality better than what we have and I don't see there being much of that around at this point of the summer. 

32.gif

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

Post match interview up on youtube earlier. Was adamant we needed 4 players and said the youth had impressed him but he wants experienced players that know their way about the pitch etc. 

I'd argue the youth players have showed more match intelligence than a lot of the more experienced players in pre season tbh. 

We definitely do need more experience in but it also has to be quality better than what we have and I don't see there being much of that around at this point of the summer. 

Aah ok. I'll need to get that watched. 

13 hours ago, port-ton said:

We only have 12 established first team players as it stands. Even if we sign another four, the youngsters are going to feature regularly and get many chances as the first team squad will still be tiny and not even big enough to fill the bench with everyone available. It would be downright negligent not to add a minimum of another four.

It's likely that those players are going to be gambles rather than players with an established pedigree at this level, but that's the market we operate in. Shrugging our shoulders and saying we aren't likely to find someone guaranteed to be better than our current starters so we shouldn't bother would just leave us not bothering with signings and flinging teenagers in to sink or swim every summer.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I'll be surprised if we don't bring in a couple of decent loan signings as well as add a few permanent additions to the squad. Gus has been in the game as long as the likes of McCall, grant and Hopkin and should be able to utilise his contacts to boost the squad.

What do others think is the problem that we can't seem to be able to sign players. We are 4  days away from the new season and at the very least 4 players short in the squad . Is it a case we are offering poor wages or do players just see us as a joke of a club.

10 minutes ago, bigB said:

What do others think is the problem that we can't seem to be able to sign players. We are 4  days away from the new season and at the very least 4 players short in the squad . Is it a case we are offering poor wages or do players just see us as a joke of a club.

It's both - we're floating around at the bottom of the lowest rung of professional contracts in the UK. The lack of clarity on ownership must be a factor as well (whether that's justifiable or not).

Archived