Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 83 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Danny Rogers is being “given training facilities” by Dundee United, not sure if that’ll lead to anything there. Would like to think he’d still be a realistic option for us. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing that really worries me is I’d be surprised if we sign a backup (unless it’s some sort of hybrid coaching deal like Butler) so if Hamilton has a shocker, we don’t have a replacement. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Thing that really worries me is I’d be surprised if we sign a backup (unless it’s some sort of hybrid coaching deal like Butler) so if Hamilton has a shocker, we don’t have a replacement. 

I'd be astonished if we never given how many times MacPherson rolled his eyes at only having one keeper last year. 

I'd expect us to have two keepers although expect Hamilton to be first choice. 

I'm happy to give him a chance but it's now or never for him. At 27 years old he can no longer live off his ability as a young keeper and if he's ever going to be consistent and making much fewer errors then you'd imagine this is his last chance. 

Knowing he's first choice and hopefully a good start will hopefully get his confidence up. 

Definitely a risk of a signing but much less of one for me than an unknown from the English lower leagues or a Premier League youth keeper. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

13 hours ago, port-ton said:

Definitely a risk of a signing but much less of one for me than an unknown from the English lower leagues or a Premier League youth keeper. 

I couldn't disagree with this more: while a signing from the English lower leagues or somewhere else brings a risk of a Ramsbottom level disaster, there's also some prospect that an unknown goalkeeper might turn out to be good. There's no prospect of that with Jack Hamilton, because he's already well known to be the worst goalkeeper in this division by a mile and has never shown any indication of being good enough anywhere he's been at any point in his career. He is the Sean McGinty of goalkeepers, living off a baseless reputation he had as a youngster into his late 20s despite having shown nothing in first team football to justify it.

We've replaced a goalkeeper good enough to win us several points over a season by making saves you wouldn't expect with one bad enough to cost us several over a season by giving ridiculous goals away. When you're already going to be in a relegation battle you can't afford that.

I was a bit underwhelmed with rumours of Scott Fox coming back when Danny Rogers might be available, but given the choice between him and Flapjack I'd bite your hand off for Fox.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I couldn't disagree with this more: while a signing from the English lower leagues or somewhere else brings a risk of a Ramsbottom level disaster, there's also some prospect that an unknown goalkeeper might turn out to be good. There's no prospect of that with Jack Hamilton, because he's already well known to be the worst goalkeeper in this division by a mile and has never shown any indication of being good enough anywhere he's been at any point in his career. He is the Sean McGinty of goalkeepers, living off a baseless reputation he had as a youngster into his late 20s despite having shown nothing in first team football to justify it.

We've replaced a goalkeeper good enough to win us several points over a season by making saves you wouldn't expect with one bad enough to cost us several over a season by giving ridiculous goals away. When you're already going to be in a relegation battle you can't afford that.

I was a bit underwhelmed with rumours of Scott Fox coming back when Danny Rogers might be available, but given the choice between him and Flapjack I'd bite your hand off for Fox.

This. I’ve already seen him being compared to McAdams who people “knew nothing about last year” and just ignores the rather key points of; 

A) McAdams was 21

B) McAdams did not have a reputation (and evidence to back up) him being one of the worst keepers in the division. 

That is why supporters were relatively fine with a gamble being made, and less so with a 27 year old with a very sketchy history behind him. 

I hope he does well of course and we see much more or the bad than good, but the McAdams comparison is a nonsense.  

22 minutes ago, standman said:

Although Danny Rogers came good for us people tend to forget that at one point he was actually dropped for Ramsbottom.

That said more about Hopkin being an absolute arsehole than it did about Rogers, in fairness.

15 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Are we going to sign anyone else or us that us for the season? Would be really worried if we don't get anyone else in squad is looking very bare at the moment. 

Obvious answer is obvious.

Gus has stated he wants to strengthen every department still.

Hopefully soon.

Archived