Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 82 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

1 hour ago, Toby said:

That was on Saturday, went to that with a couple of my mates but never saw him there. Pity, would’ve been nice to catch up with my old mate.

Excuse the wrong day - this is the time of year where they all blend into one for me.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, vikingTON said:

'Real', 'goalscoring' centre forwards don't get released by Raith fucking Rovers without regret, or job around about a dozen clubs by the midway point in his career. 'Being better than Kalvin Orsi' is not my benchmark for a pleasing signing either. 

Perhaps McPherson will work well with him, but that belief is already doing a lot more heavy lifting in our forward line than I'm content with. 

So does this mean that if he turns out to be a half decent striker for us, you will shut one of your mouths?

I worry about guys like Blair and Biabi because they trade on their reputations - much like Muirhead - and will get a lot of leeway because of it. Och, they just need to get their confidence back, there's a player in there somewhere, they wouldn't have this reputation if there was nothing about them, so on and so forth. Yes, all of this is true - to an extent. What's also true is that there are decent players who didn't have the early move down south boosting their reputation who are performing just as well in the lower leagues.

This is in no way a judgement on the club of bringing in guys from lower leagues for a trial. That's all it is, a trial. The club would be remiss not to cast an eye over as many players as possible between now and the start of the season. So don't read this as my saying that we should never deign to kit up any player who's not a nailed-on signing. But there's a real danger with guys like these that you let their CVs blind you to the reality, which is that they are where they are for a reason.

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

So the trialists last night were - Lewis Brass in goal first half, Jack Sims in the second. Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi and Marky Munro. 

Never heard of either keeper or Munro. Don't mind Blair and Biabi coming in for a trial but I hope that it's not a formality that they sign. They need to Impress.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I worry about guys like Blair and Biabi because they trade on their reputations - much like Muirhead - and will get a lot of leeway because of it. Och, they just need to get their confidence back, there's a player in there somewhere, they wouldn't have this reputation if there was nothing about them, so on and so forth. Yes, all of this is true - to an extent. What's also true is that there are decent players who didn't have the early move down south boosting their reputation who are performing just as well in the lower leagues.

This is in no way a judgement on the club of bringing in guys from lower leagues for a trial. That's all it is, a trial. The club would be remiss not to cast an eye over as many players as possible between now and the start of the season. So don't read this as my saying that we should never deign to kit up any player who's not a nailed-on signing. But there's a real danger with guys like these that you let their CVs blind you to the reality, which is that they are where they are for a reason.

Not to mention that their CV having a big move to England followed by no first team football on it is a consequence of the bizarre Falkirk to Swansea pipeline of several transfers happening every season a few years ago, which I severely doubt was entirely about the ability of the players involved.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Such jobbers should only be allowed in to Cappielow on the understanding they are able to pick up a paint brush and help out. Being binned from every club you have previously failed at is not something on your resume that should attract interest from Morton.

12 hours ago, TRVMP said:

So don't read this as my saying that we should never deign to kit up any player who's not a nailed-on signing. But there's a real danger with guys like these that you let their CVs blind you to the reality, which is that they are where they are for a reason.

So are you saying Gus McPherson would be more likely than you to let these guys’ CV’s blind him to reality? 

37 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

So are you saying Gus McPherson would be more likely than you to let these guys’ CV’s blind him to reality? 

Yes. See Robbie Muirhead for the prime example. His reputation precedes him and it's allowed him to manage something like 225 minutes of good football in two years and get rewarded with a new contract.

EOho8Pw.png

37 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Hear that none of the above will be offered contracts. 

Where is this coming from? If they haven't impressed then its reassures to hear we aren't just signing anyone but also leaves us short for time in getting players in.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

7 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Where is this coming from? If they haven't impressed then its reassures to hear we aren't just signing anyone but also leaves us short for time in getting players in.

Was thinking that the other day. I know the league cup is used as a pre season of sorts but do we not normally have a squad by then (or more than we have now)? 

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

Was thinking that the other day. I know the league cup is used as a pre season of sorts but do we not normally have a squad by then (or more than we have now)? 

You can’t use trialists which might give an excuse for the type of utter garbage that the likes of Hopkin have signed. I’d rather we wrote it off than have Henk van Schaik or Rabin Omar on the books. 

Archived