Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 77 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not irreplaceable, no, but competition for decent full-time goalies is fierce, much like for strikers. Therefore I think we have a less than 50% chance of getting a keeper as good as he is.

EOho8Pw.png

41 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Not irreplaceable, no, but competition for decent full-time goalies is fierce, much like for strikers. Therefore I think we have a less than 50% chance of getting a keeper as good as he is.

If he was exceptional for this level, I'd agree, but for me he was bang average. Time will tell of course.

If I had to pick one out of Ledger and McAdams to keep it would've been Ledger.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

27 minutes ago, GiGi said:

If I had to pick one out of Ledger and McAdams to keep it would've been Ledger.

I think most morton fans would agree with that 

Mcadams was a good keeper but far from perfect. Kicking and commanding his area needs to improve for him to kick onto the next level.

Can see him going to a bigger club, but as a number 2.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Rogers back. He is somewhat similar to McAdams if I remember correctly? 

I'm rather intrigued to see how we utilise the loan system this season, particularly with a smaller squad. They're generally more financially beneficial to the club too. I think if we managed to keep McPake after Christmas we would've created and possibly scored a lot more chances. 

9 hours ago, ChampTon said:

I'm rather intrigued to see how we utilise the loan system this season, particularly with a smaller squad. 

I think this will be crucial to how we compete this season. We saw the impact that loan players had on a number of sides last season and I felt we largely missed out by having an already bloated squad. 

Hope Gus's contact book is getting well thumbed at the moment and we avoid some of the woeful ringers that we've ended up with recently.

14 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Think a lot of people are underestimating McAdams, and filling his role is going to be tougher than we think. 

I think McAdams was very good for his age. Considering he only turned 22 in March, I think his season was very impressive. If he improves in the areas that he's a bit weak at the moment, then he could be a regular in the Scottish Premiership through the best years of his career.

I'm not sure what that really would have meant for us, though, apart from having a decent goalkeeper for this level while he looked to improve. As it stands, there's are plenty of goalkeepers who are just as good, or better, around this level. I'm with you that it would have been better to keep him because there's always a risk of picking up someone who's worse, but McAdams is as much potential as he is actual ability right now (and with a real weakness with shots from distance). 

14 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Yeah, you only have to look around the rest of the division at some of the goalkeepers who washed up here last summer with half the division needing one.

Raith did well to get Jamie MacDonald but that involved handing a two year deal to a 34 year old. Ayr got Sinisalo who was fine but nowhere near as good as McAdams, Queen of the South got Rohan Ferguson who was very error prone. Dunfermline made Owain Fon Williams loan permanent despite him being a dreadful goalkeeper with chocolate wrists, yet he was only the second worst in the division with Jack Hamilton, a goalkeeper with no positive attributes whatsoever, spending half the season as Dundee's first choice. Even in the top flight you had Kilmarnock ending up with Colin Doyle, whose incompetence played a significant part in relegating them.

There are obviously good goalkeepers who can be found and getting that recruitment right is what managers are paid for rather than being down to luck, but ending up with worse than McAdams is more likely than not.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Hopefully not.

For a youngster when I compare his contribution over 2 games against us he had far more impact than we saw from our 'forwards' over the entire season. I would be happy if he signed with us although I doubt it's likely.

On McAdams, absolutely still had areas he had to work on but for his age and first ever season at this level he really couldn’t have done much better. As others have said, we’re unlikely to replace him with a keeper of similar quality - particularly one who’s peak years are still a long way away.

It’d have been great to tie him down to the same contract as Jacobs imo.       

16 hours ago, TaunTon said:

For a youngster when I compare his contribution over 2 games against us he had far more impact than we saw from our 'forwards' over the entire season. I would be happy if he signed with us although I doubt it's likely.

Heard he's off to Peterhead who he played for couple of years ago

Archived