Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 74 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

To call these lazy signings would be a compliment to Gus and whoever else was involved. Masses of players have recently been released all over the SPL/SPLF. We could surely have analysed what we need against who was available and affordable instead of just re-signing the same players who could only achieve 9th place. If Blues has been signed as back-up then this completely abandons the recent quality over quantity promises. 
We’ll need to make a couple of marquee type signings now before I even consider buying a season ticket

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's now two strikers who don't score goals signed up for next season. Are we going to play them side by side with two up front? Is one of them going to play on the wing? Is one going to be benched while the other starts solo? Or is there a third forward coming in and one of the current two is a squad player? Does Gus already have a formation and system in mind or are we waiting to see who else we get? 

All these questions and more I don't really care that much about, so underwhelming are these two renewals. 

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

No chance. It mattered well before the Airdrie game and Muirhead was absolute nowhere to be seen, we shouldn't have been anywhere near the play-offs. 

That is a salient point that renders my original post bin worthy.

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The 'glass half full' approach to re-signing haddies is one of the reasons why we haven't been in the top flight for nearly 35 years now. It's not a competition to see who can happy-clap loudest. 

You’re right and all, I’m really just trying to avoid more my more natural position of miserable pessimism in all walks of life for a wee change. I find myself defeated, however. Which is a wee shame.

6 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

You’re right and all, I’m really just trying to avoid more my more natural position of miserable pessimism in all walks of life for a wee change. I find myself defeated, however. Which is a wee shame.

Good to see the latest addition to our native tongue being used accurately:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7175786/scotland-dictionary-new-words-taps-aff-tonto-roaster/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwiN7r_C5IXxAhX9RkE

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Reasonably happy with the Oliver signing, but Blues FFS?  That's not being a manager with ability to assemble a decent team; it's unimaginative administrative conservatism writ large.  What have we done to improve our squad? Signed a fairly decent centre back who is nearing the end of his career, on a 2 year contract, and who has, shall we say, an image problem.  The current re-hashing of last season's team smacks of being too lazy to work out what we actually need to move forward, of having not a clue how to do the job despite having just been given a 2 year contract.  Who is making these decisions?  Is it still the previous regime or are MCT now issuing policy instructions?  Let's be specific - who is the individual who took the decision to sign Blues, and Muirhead for that matter?  Did they consider alternatives? Can they explain why they have re-signed these players, who have not exactly set the heather on fire over the course of the season? Muirhead did show something when actually played as a striker, so maybe that's the plan for him, in which case it might come off but it's not terribly imaginative.

I'm not feeling optimistic about next season unless Gus has a few aces up his sleeve.  If Lyon starts the season sitting on the bench, Gus should be sacked.

As for McGinn, can't really blame him.  Anyway Jacobs does a similar job.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I think McGinn was more wishful than serious although the opposite is true for Muirhead and Blues. Still waiting to hear on McAdam and Ledger which would be better news.

11 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

I think McGinn was more wishful than serious although the opposite is true for Muirhead and Blues. Still waiting to hear on McAdam and Ledger which would be better news.

This is true, but a kick in the teeth to lose an experienced and a good midfielder when we have resigned Cammy Blues. 

McGinn wasn't great up until the playoffs. There were signs of his ability up till that point, and he started well enough initially, but it's not as if we were raving about him at the end of the league season. His back pass against ICT, which ended up putting us behind, being a particular low point.

He might still be very good at this level with a full preseason and regular starts from there, but he was one of many for us who only really stepped up when playing against teams from a lower level. 

The negative is that he was clearly a main target, and we might end up struggling to get a decent centre mid in to replace him. The positives are that I had some misgivings about his league performances, him and Jacobs didn't particularly compliment each others game, and I'm not getting too worried about Killie if that's their level of signing. 

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Christ almighty, the level of revisionism on here is getting truly ridiculous now. The reason why he was playing out of position was because he was too fucking dung to play centre forward. 

Another Weatherson, basically.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

18 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

The positives are that I had some misgivings about his league performances, him and Jacobs didn't particularly compliment each others game, and I'm not getting too worried about Killie if that's their level of signing. 

While I'm sure they're shitting themselves at our 9th placed jobbers being re-signed wholesale. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

30 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

Good luck to whoever has the unenviable task of trying to sell season tickets on the back of these signings. My optimism for next season is right out the window.

Likewise.  Potentially worse than last season seeing as we've lost players we'd have debatably like to have kept and re-signed ones we should've punted.  Grim, depressing stuff indeed.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

51 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

While I'm sure they're shitting themselves at our 9th placed jobbers being re-signed wholesale. 

While I don't really see the need for the sarcasm, I actually agree with that.

I was speaking more in the context of Killie look like they're building a decent Championship side that should be competing up at the top end, rather than looking like their building a side that looks too good for this level. I don't expect them to be looking at us as rivals at the top. But then again, it does like a bunch of the sort of usual Dunfermline level signings they're making at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

While I don't really see the need for the sarcasm, I actually agree with that.

I was speaking more in the context of Killie look like they're building a decent Championship side that should be competing up at the top end, rather than looking like their building a side that looks too good for this level. I don't expect them to be looking at us as rivals at the top. But then again, it does like a bunch of the sort of usual Dunfermline level signings they're making at the moment. 

There's no reason for us to be concerned, never mind picking holes in Kilmarnock's business, now that our own tinpot weekend has punted us firmly in the '7th-10th total diddy' section of the league. 

I wouldn’t have been upset if McGinn had came to us as evidently it’s going to be a novelty to have any sort of talented player but it wouldn’t have been the greatest use of what would surely be a significant wage and an almost guaranteed starting spot when we already have Jacobs.  

If nothing else, McPherson’s already proven he can’t be trusted to use that pairing sensible so it’s probably for the best if the option is removed.

AWMSC

Archived