Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 73 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t even know what to make of it tbh. I like the guy and he was excellent in the final, but retaining him, Blues and Oliver really isn’t doing much for my hopes of us not being a complete rabble again next season. 

I'm happy enough with Gus getting the managers gig permanently and I've no problem with Lithgow signing and also I defended Blues resigning despite being unhappy with it, but with a new business model that relies on fans paying monthly on top of usual fan costs its actually quite astonishing that so far we've appointed a manager who finished 9th in the league, signed a convicted sex offender and resigned our two worst players from a team of dross last season. 

I've no issue with most of them in isolation but MCT seem to be taking monumental risks that don't actually have much if any potential reward to them and a big potential downside if the fans react negatively. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The only thing tempering my disappointment is the fact I had already come to terms with the inevitability of this announcement.

When he gets a chance, play him up top as he was signed to do and  absolutely nowhere else.

Maybe then it won't turn out to be another negligent waste of limited resources. We hope.

Only little thing to be semi hopeful about is maybe he will take this as a kick up the arse he needs and realises it's his last shot at full time football. 

People within the game seem to think he has ability which I can't say I've seen much of at Morton. 

Two striker spots of a reduced squad already filled though by players who realistically will be lucky to score 5 goals a season though. 

Genuinely can't get over how badly MCT have started off this fan ownership in terms of on the pitch decisions. Ah well the only way now is up....

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Only little thing to be semi hopeful about is maybe he will take this as a kick up the arse

Really not sure how being rewarded for your performances with a new contract could be considered a 'kick up the arse' to be honest.

When whoever is making decisions at Cappielow asked the manager who lead us to a 9th place finish what his plans were to improve things next season, did it not trouble them when he said “well, I’m going to sign all of the same players again and do the exact same things that failed before”?

AWMSC

As others are I'm a bit underwhelmed, however play players in their correct position and it may pay off.

Ricky Lamie was next to useless at full back, but when moved to centre back was the first name on the team sheet.

Likewise, Mark Russell was a fully competent full back but disappeared in midfield.

There are a few players who can be moved around the pitch and do well, Peter Weatherson for example and there are those that can't.

Fingers (and toes) crossed🤞 

Knew it was coming after the final but for me he's a guy who scored 1 league goal in 26 appearances for us. Aye he might not have played through the middle in a lot of them but it's still an awful record for a striker and his overall performances have been shocking.

MCT talk about going for a smaller, higher quality squad and we re-sign Blues and Muirhead?? That's going to do absolutely nothing to encourage new MCT contributions and more importantly season ticket sales(if they ever come out, already weeks behind our competitors, with some selling over a 1000 already)

We absolutely need to see some quality signings this week.

There should be a feel good factor around the place with the takeover but already you sense everyone is expecting another poor season.

Huge job on their hands to get this right. I'm starting to doubt they can pull it off.

When Hopkin signed Muirhead he said words to the effect of ‘It’s about t8me he got the chance to play in his best/preferred position as a No.9 rather than being shifted out wide’ then proceeded to play him at LWB or LM almost exclusively.

He looked much improved when played through the middle and has shown he’s at least capable of a good finish (a great one, even) and can get on the end of a decent cross. If he can find some consistent form (and I know it’s risky to bank on that happening) he should be able to at least contribute the sort of goal scoring output of McHugh a couple of years back.

What could be the real difference maker is replacing the likes of Nesbitt and McGuffie with wide players who can regularly deliver decent balls in to the box. It’s telling that the best cross we saw all season was from one of our Centre Backs in injury time at Airdrie.

I'd like to think we'd have a boost to season tickets for this up coming season but if we don't get anything out by Friday any buzz will die down. 

This is a new era for the club and people haven't been at the football for over a year, this could be a chance to get some new or old fans back on the regular. 

Due to me not having the guarantee of Saturday's off I would've bought my first one this up coming season. 

2 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

When Hopkin signed Muirhead he said words to the effect of ‘It’s about t8me he got the chance to play in his best/preferred position as a No.9 rather than being shifted out wide’ then proceeded to play him at LWB or LM almost exclusively.

He looked much improved when played through the middle and has shown he’s at least capable of a good finish (a great one, even) and can get on the end of a decent cross. If he can find some consistent form (and I know it’s risky to bank on that happening) he should be able to at least contribute the sort of goal scoring output of McHugh a couple of years back.

What could be the real difference maker is replacing the likes of Nesbitt and McGuffie with wide players who can regularly deliver decent balls in to the box. It’s telling that the best cross we saw all season was from one of our Centre Backs in injury time at Airdrie.

Right, but seriously, when did this happen, except in the last game against Airdrie? 

AWMSC

If he was that much of a hidden gem as a striker don't you think at least one manager would have given him a prolonged run in their team as one, including Gus himself who put him there as a last resort after trying everyone except cappie up there with no success. 

He played well in the home game against an Airdrie side who were absolutely out on their feet. It was his best performance for us and a much appreciated one but he could not have been further away from deserving a new contract on the basis of his performances for us. 

Gus said after the playoff win that he told the players it was a miracle that they managed to stay up and he saw first hand how little we created and scored so it's utterly bizarre that he wanted to keep so many of them. 

32.gif

1 hour ago, Renfrew said:

Another who showed decent form in the playoffs. My opinion on him is warped because how often we played him out of position… keep him up top and it could be a decent signing

Christ almighty, the level of revisionism on here is getting truly ridiculous now. The reason why he was playing out of position was because he was too fucking dung to play centre forward. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Right, but seriously, when did this happen, except in the last game against Airdrie? 

Thought he had some pretty decent games (admittedly against a low benchmark among his teammates) prior to New Year, then he had a spell out of the team again.

I absolutely agree it’s a bad idea to get too hung up on his contribution right at the very end of the season, but it shouldn’t be ignored that he stepped up when it mattered and he was finally played in his preferred position. It helped that Oliver had an upturn in his performances that coincided.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a proven 10+ goal scorer to be signed rather than have Muirhead our sole centre forward, I’m just trying to be a bit ‘glass half full’ about things whenever I can.

6 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

I absolutely agree it’s a bad idea to get too hung up on his contribution right at the very end of the season, but it shouldn’t be ignored that he stepped up when it mattered and he was finally played in his preferred position. It helped that Oliver had an upturn in his performances that coincided.

No chance. It mattered well before the Airdrie game and Muirhead was absolute nowhere to be seen, we shouldn't have been anywhere near the play-offs. 

He played very well in the final game and deserves credit for that, but not a single thing more than a pat on the back and it doesn't come close to making up for scoring a whopping total of 1 league goal for the club. It's not "stepping up when it matters", it's having one good game against an absolutely knackered part-time club from a lower league. It's fine for what it is, but let's not be turning it into some kind of Maradona '86 style one-man show.

AWMSC

The 'glass half full' approach to re-signing haddies is one of the reasons why we haven't been in the top flight for nearly 35 years now. It's not a competition to see who can happy-clap loudest. 

MCT have got serious questions to answer in appointing - and giving a two year deal - to a coaching team whose apparent vision of the future involves retaining most of the shite that took us into 9th last season. I won't be buying a season ticket based on the uncertainties of whether and how fans will be able to attend games and the turgid shite that they're now pitching. 

They must do a lot fucking better than this continuity agenda from a completely discredited season just past to avoid this new model ending in disaster. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The next few announcements/signings need to be good otherwise MCT will fritter away all of the enthusiasm for next season. Personally, have been looking forward to going back to games more than pretty much anything else. Had nothing so far to get excited about without even factoring in the Lithgow signing. 

Archived