Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 71 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Just now, dunning1874 said:

Blues being given a new contract has by itself killed any optimism for the season and confirmed that we won't be putting anything approaching a decent squad together. It was always going to be an uphill battle with some gambles on signings with our place in the pecking order, 

I don't recall this being front and centre of your thinking, back when you were claiming that it was important to preserve our league status at all costs. Well here they are. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worrying when we release McGuffie and not Blues!

He is mostly anonymous through games and we really can’t be having someone ghosting about in the middle of the park, especially with the quality that’s in this league. 

Quality over quantity was definitely the war cry so let’s hope we have some quality still to come! 

9 minutes ago, Renfrew said:

Blues ended the season in good form but he’s no where near a championship player for me

happy to be proven wrong of course

He’s only started 2 games (Playoff games) under Gus and prior to playoffs hasn’t feature since Dundee away for last 10 mins as a sub? 

Surprised Gus fancies him when he’s had him as an unused sub for the majority of his time here.

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I don't recall this being front and centre of your thinking, back when you were claiming that it was important to preserve our league status at all costs. Well here they are. 

I never said it wouldn't be.

I like your thinking that we wouldn't have kept MacPherson and seen him give shite like Blues a new contract as a League One club anyway though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Blues being offered a new deal is completely baffling to me. The fact that Hopkin, Anton and now Gus though him worthy of a jersey after watching his totally ineffectual performances defies logic.

48 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Gus clearly sees something in this guy no one else does. Squad player at best. I'd of rather kept McGuffie. 

The last couple of managers (including caretakers) must've seen something in him too. 

32 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I never said it wouldn't be.

I said front and centre. 'Lads, we need to stay up to secure our bright new future of, err Cameron Blues and struggling to finish 9th again' was punted to one side, in your knicker-wetting about how unremittingly awful not being in the second tier would be. And yet here we are in the first week of June and you're already declaring all optimism for the season gone because of the implications of a gormless focus on survival that were logically set out. The massive disadvantage that GMFC would have after clambering out of the play-offs was dismissed by you then but is now being dredged up as a mitigating factor now. 

"I like your thinking that we wouldn't have kept MacPherson and seen him give shite like Blues a new contract as a League One club anyway though."

We wouldn't have kept McPherson as a League One club because his record would have been one of complete and utter failure. It was the play-off 'triumph' that you prized so highly in the short term that made his instatement as permanent manager all but certain.

And now the chickens are well and truly coming home to roost, given that the same manager who handed Blues a new deal is himself foolishly contracted until 2023 and so can hand Blues and other garbage players an extension next summer as well.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

18 minutes ago, irnbru said:

The last couple of managers (including caretakers) must've seen something in him too. 

Says far more about them than Blues tbh.

Blues is absolutely rotten. I suspect we’re going to end up with most of season’s regular 14 or so players, and the exact same outcome is likely to happen. 

AWMSC

Reece Lyon transfer request should be incoming and rightfully so if he is going to get overlooked for Blues for another season.

Safe to say Muirhead will be the next announcement.

When they re-sign Butler though...

36 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

I'm presuming MCT have sanctioned all these contracts. God help us. 

That's a very big assumption. I imagine Gus in his own contract negotiations would have demanded a completely free hand in all player signings, within the prescribed budget. With his experience, I just don't see him being the sort of guy who'd allow the 'blazers' to dictate to him who he can and can't sign.  

Blues certainly wouldn't have been on my retention list, but I don't think he's as bad as some are making out. If he's on a modest salary and is intended as a fringe player to give cover for injuries and suspensions, I can live with that. If however Gus sees him are one of the core players for next season, it's more than a bit worrying. 

10 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

That's a very big assumption. I would imagine Gus would have demanded a free hand in all player signings, within the prescribed budget. 

Blues certainly wouldn't have been on my retention list, but I don't think he's as bad as some or making out. If he's on a modest salary and is intended as a fringe player to give cover for injuries and suspensions, I can live with that. If however Gus sees him are one of the core players for next season, it's more than a bit worrying. 

Yeah, we're trying to get McGinn and I've heard Alan Power mentioned as an alternative possibility to that. So we'll at least have Lyon, Jacobs, and one other experienced centre mid that we're trying to get in at the moment. I don't rate Blues, but he'll be a fourth option in there. Even when we've had a good midfield, we've had to have weaker options in there who know from the start they won't be anything like guaranteed a place in the first XI (like Kyle Wilkie in 12/13, for example). As long as we don't expect too much from him, I don't think it's a disastrous signing. There's certainly an argument that we could've looked for better, but Blues is about that standard of fourth choice central midfielder that you'd expect. 

To be clear, I'd probably have rathered we looked for someone else but the likelihood is that we'd just have got someone of a similar level of ability to fill the 'you want to sign for the bench?' role in our midfield.

Theres no McGinty as our fucking captain and shite like Johnson, Wallace and Omar have been emptied. I wouldn't have kept Blues but he will be on buttons and probably used as a squad player. There's srill room for optimism if we get in a few better quality players for the starting 11. 

Of course, as said, I'd rather we emptied him but I dont think its the end of the world.

Last year was a bit of a write off in many ways for a lot of reasons between owners getting out and the Covid situation. We're into another season where management was needed at short notice & we needed a squad immediately, with the clubs league  level decided late & the league cup now imminent. They've gone for a 'safe' option in Macpherson, I can disagree but I understand it. They are clearing out some obvious chaff. On Blues some people more involved /experienced in professional football than me seem to see something. I can only hope they are right.

Definitely a bit worrying but willing to wait and see our squad once it's complete rather than panic right now. Don't imagine he's on that high a wage so if signing someone like him as a squad player allows us the leeway in funds to sign someone like McGinn permanently then I can understand it. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Blues certainly wouldn't have been on my retention list, but I don't think he's as bad as some are making out. If he's on a modest salary and is intended as a fringe player to give cover for injuries and suspensions, I can live with that. If however Gus sees him are one of the core players for next season, it's more than a bit worrying. 

2 hours ago, so72 said:

Theres no McGinty as our fucking captain and shite like Johnson, Wallace and Omar have been emptied. I wouldn't have kept Blues but he will be on buttons and probably used as a squad player. 

11 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Definitely a bit worrying but willing to wait and see our squad once it's complete rather than panic right now. Don't imagine he's on that high a wage so if signing someone like him as a squad player allows us the leeway in funds to sign someone like McGinn permanently then I can understand it. 

We already have several over-age youth products signed up until 2022 to perform that role: if they can't then they shouldn't be at the club. I'd expect Blues to be on significantly more money  (relative terms) than them so this argument is not convincing. 

Archived