Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 69 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Is there a sale on torches and pitchforks at the moment. I can't get too steamed up about a conviction 13 years ago with no repeat offending. 

I'm more concerned about his fitness and the length of contract.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Is there a sale on torches and pitchforks at the moment. I can't get too steamed up about a conviction 13 years ago with no repeat offending. 

I'm more concerned about his fitness and the length of contract.

Yep 

I'm pretty neutral on the signing.

You only have to do a quick Google search to find how many professional footballers have been convicted of a huge variety of offences, some much worse than others, some have served fairly lengthy prison sentences, and have been given the chance to redeem themselves.

For example, I take it everyone watching the Euros will not be cheering on Declan Gallagher?

I don't, for a second, condone Lithgow's crime or indeed, any of the crimes / offences you'll find thrown up by the search.

While never convicted or charged with it, if you read Kevin Twaddle's book "A Life on the Line" which is about his gambling addiction, he talks about stealing money from his 7 year old nieces piggy bank to fund his bets.

He has turned himself around and is now a gamblers anonymous councillor.

20 minutes ago, capitanus said:

It is.  Peterhead is the place for nonces and stoat the baw types.  Not Cappielow.

Next.

There’s certainly a happy medium to be found between being a “Partick Thistle” type and employing registered sex offenders.

He’s here now, and there’s little that we can do about it beyond voicing our displeasure at the signing. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’ll support him when he’s playing, “tolerate” is probably a more appropriate word.

I get that the manager wants to give himself the best possible chance of success next season, and he’s the latest in a long line of managers to give him a job, but I’d be interested to know whether anyone at boardroom level saw any issues with this, especially when there was such uproar during his trial period here in the summer of 2010.

We don’t know who the board of directors will be going forward of course, so I feel it’s extremely difficult to hold anyone to account over this, but I assume Disclosure checks are made on non-footballing employees, there should be no reason for his past to slip through the net.

This smacks of a complete ignorance of his crimes or worse, an arrogance that the opinions of the fans, whose money is putting these people in a position of trust and responsibility, don’t matter.

12 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Yep 

I'm pretty neutral on the signing.

You only have to do a quick Google search to find how many professional footballers have been convicted of a huge variety of offences, some much worse than others, some have served fairly lengthy prison sentences, and have been given the chance to redeem themselves.

For example, I take it everyone watching the Euros will not be cheering on Declan Gallagher?

I don't, for a second, condone Lithgow's crime or indeed, any of the crimes / offences you'll find thrown up by the search.

While never convicted or charged with it, if you read Kevin Twaddle's book "A Life on the Line" which is about his gambling addiction, he talks about stealing money from his 7 year old nieces piggy bank to fund his bets.

Football has no shortage of bampots, nutters and out and out thugs, I agree.  

But Alan Lithgow is/was none of these, he's a sex offender.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

FTFY. 

I don't think 33 is an ideal age for an extended deal but it's not complete insanity either. By 2023 he'd be the same age as McLean is this summer. I'm much more alarmed by the hostages to fortune that we're setting up all over the place, when there's no good reason to think that next season won't be disrupted by at least a set of hurdles/extra costs of having some fans in the ground and possibly none at all again in the autumn/winter.

It's not just his age though, it's the fact only played 3 games last season, in April, after coming back from a long injury. Huge gamble.

5 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

It's not just his age though, it's the fact only played 3 games last season, in April, after coming back from a long injury. Huge gamble.

If Anton is still here I think there's some optimism to be had. It's clear he's quite good at his job as our team is generally quite fit. I mean McLean had the cigars out against Airdrie in both legs and we all thought he was finished 2 years ago. It's more often their actual ability which is concerning. 

32 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

If Anton is still here I think there's some optimism to be had. It's clear he's quite good at his job as our team is generally quite fit. I mean McLean had the cigars out against Airdrie in both legs and we all thought he was finished 2 years ago. It's more often their actual ability which is concerning. 

Again though, it's not just his age, it's that and the fact he's only just back from a season long injury. Doesn't matter how fit you are if you tear a hamstring.

19 hours ago, HamCam said:

As I believe in rehabilitation, I am willing to give Lithgow the benefit of the doubt especially as he has not re-offended since 2007. It's not as if Morton is a club for angels. In relatively recent times we had Alex Williams who had a conviction for assault with a golf club, and a Commercial Manager who was accessing inappropriate material on his laptop. I am sure it was a difficult decision for the Board and MCT but we are where we are and I hope Lithgow is a success at Morton.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  Not exactly happy at the news but it's done now.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

14 hours ago, Madton said:

Sorry but how do you know he didn't apologise for it? Just because it doesn't say it in one article wrote years later doesn't mean he never did at the time.

For all we know, he apologised to all his victims, privately or in court. He admitted to it so I'd be amazed if he didn't show some remorse at the time.

We prob don't know half of what went on, what's been said etc for something which happened 13 years ago.

Come off it mate. The first time somebody has acknowledged multiple and serious sex offences *involving children* and they insist that “they can’t be judged” and that somehow their mental state (which frankly should be laughed out the park) is the main concern and we’re meant to believe that he’s the victim of bad reporting or just being too shy? His own words there are not those of someone who fully repents for their actions or accepts how badly wrong or damaging they were: he was given the chance to express his remorse, the absolute bare minimum a “nasty little pervert” should be doing, and instead chose to hold his own private pity party. Fuck him.

He shouldn’t be anywhere near the club and MCT have some serious explaining to do over why they’re more relaxed about people who pass their days wanking in front of passing woman and children than the previous owners were.

AWMSC

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

?

That’s an absolutely deplorable analogy. Addiction and noncing are not in any way shape or form comparable.

AWMSC

Oliver doesn't do anything spectacular but he's clearly got a footballer brain, he's intelligent when playing in the hole and he's guaranteed to pop up with a few goals a season. As someone who isn't an out and out striker I'm happy enough with that. 

I did notice, particularly under Gus, that he was almost playing like a deep poacher at times, coming in and trying to get on the end of rebounds. 

11 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Gary Oliver has signed a year deal. Looking forward to yet another season of not scoring any goals.

If he has the correct partner playing off him in the mould of someone like Quitongo he could be brilliant again for us.  He excels at holding the ball up but needs someone with real power and base up top with him.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Come off it mate. The first time somebody has acknowledged multiple and serious sex offences *involving children* and they insist that “they can’t be judged” and that somehow their mental state (which frankly should be laughed out the park) is the main concern and we’re meant to believe that he’s the victim of bad reporting or just being too shy? His own words there are not those of someone who fully repents for their actions or accepts how badly wrong or damaging they were: he was given the chance to express his remorse, the absolute bare minimum a “nasty little pervert” should be doing, and instead chose to hold his own private pity party. Fuck him.

He shouldn’t be anywhere near the club and MCT have some serious explaining to do over why they’re more relaxed about people who pass their days wanking in front of passing woman and children than the previous owners were.

Just as a point of clarity, he did say at the time:

"I am very sorry for the upset and distress caused through my actions and I wholeheartedly accept the judgement of the court, I can assure everyone that this will not happen again."

You can call it a token statement and question its sincerity, but it is there as his initial public response to his conviction. 

58 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

That’s an absolutely deplorable analogy. Addiction and noncing are not in any way shape or form comparable.

The point I was trying to make was that people can change their behaviour.

I was never linking the two incidents together but stealing from a 7 year old family member is also pretty deplorable whether the perpetrators have an addiction or not. If you read the book Twaddle has completely turned his life around and good on him.

Maybe, Lithgow has done the same.

Archived