Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 68 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Sadly it's only a matter of time till he re-offends,these 'people' are just wired up wrong and it's only a waiting game,even if it's after his 2 years here,he will still be referred to as an ex Morton player.

Won't be applauded by me,even if he scores,hope he punches someone in pre season training and is instantly dismissed.

I have an intense, burning indifference.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few on twitter are saying we are going to be signing Steven McGinn on a free. That would be a great signing - hope it is true.

On Lithgow, it is a difficult one. On the pitch, if he stays fit, then he will be a great signing. But his past means it isn't a signing I am overly keen on. Plus a two year deal seems quite risky.

Mon the Ton

It's a tough one with Lithgow. He was found guilty of a crime a long time ago. I do believe everyone deserves a second chance but the nature of his offence makes it tough to forgive or forget. In footballing terms he is a good signing if he keeps fit and when he plays I'll support him.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, scott_lithgows said:

Sadly it's only a matter of time till he re-offends,these 'people' are just wired up wrong and it's only a waiting game,even if it's after his 2 years here,he will still be referred to as an ex Morton player.

Won't be applauded by me,even if he scores,hope he punches someone in pre season training and is instantly dismissed.

People can learn from mistakes and reform. A lot of behavior is based on how they've been treated growing up and everyone deserves a deco d chance. 

That said, the issue with Lithgow is the lack of remorse in his interviews. 

6 hours ago, so72 said:

I mean, he didn't apologise and, instead, blamed it on his mental state and said he can't be judged for it. Kerb-crawling 4 women with your dick in your hand isn't exactly the sort of 'bad' that 'everyone' does. If he had said sorry and that he had raised the error of his ways then it would have been easier to stomach. Instead, we've signed an actual sex offender.

Sorry but how do you know he didn't apologise for it? Just because it doesn't say it in one article wrote years later doesn't mean he never did at the time.

For all we know, he apologised to all his victims, privately or in court. He admitted to it so I'd be amazed if he didn't show some remorse at the time.

We prob don't know half of what went on, what's been said etc for something which happened 13 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Madton said:

Sorry but how do you know he didn't apologise for it? Just because it doesn't say it in one article wrote years later doesn't mean he never did at the time.

For all we know, he apologised to all his victims, privately or in court. He admitted to it so I'd be amazed if he didn't show some remorse at the time.

We prob don't know half of what went on, what's been said etc for something which happened 13 years ago.

That's partially true but a public figure doing something like that would have been asked about it a lot and there doesn't seem to be much remorse through what information is available. 

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing based on that but not totally against it without knowing the whole story. 

9 minutes ago, Madton said:

There would have been Social Work reports done pre sentencing which would have been taken into account by the sentencing Sheriff. If there had been no remorse then I'm sure he'd have been given a stiffer (excuse the pun) sentence than community service.

25 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

There would have been Social Work reports done pre sentencing which would have been taken into account by the sentencing Sheriff. If there had been no remorse then I'm sure he'd have been given a stiffer (excuse the pun) sentence than community service.

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

8 hours ago, Hej said:

That's going to be somewhat controversial...

I don't mind personally.I'd take Goodwillie up front in a heartbeat too. If it takes a team full of wrong 'uns to move us on, so be it. 

2 year deal for a 33 year old is a worry though for me. 

Wrong'uns I can accept but not that kind.  We're a family club, not the Clyde FC open prison.

*insert signature here*

The title of the post onto r/ScottishFootball about this signing was titled “Greenock Morton have signed convicted sex offender, Alan Lithgow” 

We can all have our opinions of punishment and reforming etc but this shows an example of how other fans view this and I’m sure it’s something we would have all rather not have associated with our club

What kind of message does this send to parents, maybe folk new to Morton looking to take their kids along - that we don't care who plays for us!?!  It's bad enough that places in the squad have been whored out to any rich local yokels who want to buy a Fitba career for their gormless plookfaced offspring, it's bad enough that we had cretins like 'hoppy' signing a coach load of third rate shite to further whatever warped agenda he had, but nonces!?!?  Thats a new low.  Why not go the whole hog and bring James Torbett in as a coach while we're at it.

Just fold the fucking club, I'm sick of it.

*insert signature here*

7 hours ago, TRVMP said:

A Discord server I'm in did a "C****s XI" a while back, we're off to a good start if we're trying to bring it to life.

shitee.PNG?width=521&height=630

What did Griffiths do wrong?

I know he's a bit of a Shagger, but don't think there was ever any Nonce activity involved.

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, capitanus said:

What did Griffiths do wrong?

I know he's a bit of a Shagger, but don't think there was ever any Nonce activity involved.

It's not a Nonce XI. It's open to wrong 'uns of all stripes.

I can think of at least four time Griffiths has been arrested but to be fair I don't know if he was found guilty in all the cases.

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, Madton said:

If you do an interview as a public figure in which you talk about being a predator without saying sorry or mentioning the wellbeing of the victims then it's pretty damning imo. He literally blames it on his mental health without even considering what impact it might have had on the health of his victims. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to suggest that he hasn't looked good in that interview.

7 hours ago, capitanus said:

What kind of message does this send to parents, maybe folk new to Morton looking to take their kids along - that we don't care who plays for us!?!  It's bad enough that places in the squad have been whored out to any rich local yokels who want to buy a Fitba career for their gormless plookfaced offspring, it's bad enough that we had cretins like 'hoppy' signing a coach load of third rate shite to further whatever warped agenda he had, but nonces!?!?  Thats a new low.  Why not go the whole hog and bring James Torbett in as a coach while we're at it.

Just fold the fucking club, I'm sick of it.

Can just imagine lapsed fans going to give us a chance because of the community ownership and one of the first things that the new regime do - before even announcing season tickets or strips - is sign a 33yo sex offender on a 2 year deal. Its incredible really. If they don't address it in his first interview then they can get fucked.

12 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Notwithstanding his previous, giving a 2 year contact to anyone in the middle of a pandemic is madness.

FTFY. 

I don't think 33 is an ideal age for an extended deal but it's not complete insanity either. By 2023 he'd be the same age as McLean is this summer. I'm much more alarmed by the hostages to fortune that we're setting up all over the place, when there's no good reason to think that next season won't be disrupted by at least a set of hurdles/extra costs of having some fans in the ground and possibly none at all again in the autumn/winter.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, capitanus said:

Wrong'uns I can accept but not that kind.  We're a family club, not the Clyde FC open prison.

No, Partick Thistle are a family club, they even changed their name to embrace that embarrassing ideal. Cappielow is a place for vicious, expletive-loader hounding on a weekly basis, not a family day out for a bunch of theatre luvvies and their horrible sprogs. Next.

GMFC are a professional football club that might aspire to be a community-based football club as well. I don't think this signing helps that aspiration but it's not a fatal blow either. There are plenty of other ways for the club to build its presence in the community if that's the route they want to go down. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

No, Partick Thistle are a family club, they even changed their name to embrace that embarrassing ideal. Cappielow is a place for vicious, expletive-loader hounding on a weekly basis, not a family day out for a bunch of theatre luvvies and their horrible sprogs. Next.

GMFC are a professional football club that might aspire to be a community-based football club as well. I don't think this signing helps that aspiration but it's not a fatal blow either. There are plenty of other ways for the club to build its presence in the community if that's the route they want to go down. 

It is.  Peterhead is the place for nonces and stoat the baw types.  Not Cappielow.

Next.

*insert signature here*

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

It's not a Nonce XI. It's open to wrong 'uns of all stripes.

I can think of at least four time Griffiths has been arrested but to be fair I don't know if he was found guilty in all the cases.

We can accept a bit of bampottery in our team, that is wholly acceptable.  I would personally welcome Leigh Griffiths with open arms if he would ever wish to join Morton.

*insert signature here*

Archived