Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 67 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

51 minutes ago, Toby said:

That was Barry Sellars of Forfar, Lithgow’s crimes were a lot worse than that.

I could have sworn that was Lithgow, I stand corrected.

He speaks about the incident and his career here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/livingston-defender-alan-lithgow-breaks-14439989.amp

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/livingston-defender-alan-lithgow-breaks-14439989.amp

I mean, he didn't apologise and, instead, blamed it on his mental state and said he can't be judged for it. Kerb-crawling 4 women with your dick in your hand isn't exactly the sort of 'bad' that 'everyone' does. If he had said sorry and that he had raised the error of his ways then it would have been easier to stomach. Instead, we've signed an actual sex offender.

Just now, so72 said:

I mean, he didn't apologise and, instead, blamed it on his mental state and said he can't be judged for it. Kerb-crawling 4 women with your dick in your hand isn't exactly the sort of 'bad' that 'everyone' does. 

Yeah, he really doesn't come across well in that interview at all. (About the incident, that is. The footballing stuff is just boilerplate.)

It's obviously a serious crime and it can be traumatic to the women victimized, there is no question about that. Nonetheless, it was over a decade ago and he hasn't reoffended. So for that reason I'm not particularly angry about this signing.

EOho8Pw.png

Just now, TRVMP said:

Yeah, he really doesn't come across well in that interview at all. (About the incident, that is. The footballing stuff is just boilerplate.)

It's obviously a serious crime and it can be traumatic to the women victimized, there is no question about that. Nonetheless, it was over a decade ago and he hasn't reoffended. So for that reason I'm not particularly angry about this signing.

Im all for giving second chances to people who've actually shown a bit of remorse. I would be lying if I said I was going to boycott Cappielow or cut my MCT subscription but it's an ugly taste in the mouth.

Typical Morton though, kick off a new era by doing something like this haha. 

4 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Same here.

16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

A Discord server I'm in did a "C****s XI" a while back, we're off to a good start if we're trying to bring it to life.

shite.PNG?width=535&height=630

Surprised David Robertson never made the cut (another to play for ourselves and Livi).

Ourselves and Clyde well represented in terms of beasts.  

24 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Nonetheless, it was over a decade ago and he hasn't reoffended. 

I think this would hold more water if he hadn't previously been hounded out of Cappielow. If it was unacceptable to sign him first time round, it's not acceptable now and it's a pretty awful look for the club. If he was going elsewhere there'd be an argument for "fresh starts" or whatever, but with Morton that's not really a possibility: the main message here is that a Community ownership is far less bothered about having sex offenders on the books than the previous regime.

AWMSC

7 minutes ago, so72 said:

Surprised David Robertson never made the cut (another to play for ourselves and Livi).

Ourselves and Clyde well represented in terms of beasts.  

Apparently they revised it to include Robertson so I edited it in.

5 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I think this would hold more water if he hadn't previously been hounded out of Cappielow. If it was unacceptable to sign him first time round, it's not acceptable now and it's a pretty awful look for the club. If he was going elsewhere there'd be an argument for "fresh starts" or whatever, but with Morton that's not really a possibility: the main message here is that a Community ownership is far less bothered about having sex offenders on the books than the previous regime.

I disagree; I think the passage of time makes a difference here. There's a difference between committing an offence last week and committing an offence 50 years ago. Obviously that's an extreme example but the longer someone goes without doing it again, the more likely it is that they've actually been rehabilitated.

This is once again not to dismiss his crime or say it was no big deal - it obviously was and perhaps to the victims still is. But I can see the club saying "well, it was 13 years ago" and that holding more water than its being 3 years ago.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

“I was supposed to sign with Morton after that first season.

“Then the chairman at the time, Douglas Rae, decided against it because of my past. He’d had a few letters from some fans who weren’t happy about it and I ended up back at Clyde in the Third Division.

As I believe in rehabilitation, I am willing to give Lithgow the benefit of the doubt especially as he has not re-offended since 2007. It's not as if Morton is a club for angels. In relatively recent times we had Alex Williams who had a conviction for assault with a golf club, and a Commercial Manager who was accessing inappropriate material on his laptop. I am sure it was a difficult decision for the Board and MCT but we are where we are and I hope Lithgow is a success at Morton.

The guy was found guilty and what ever the courts did to him he has served. He has learned from it not broken the law since he is a step up from Mcginty so let's move on and give the guy a break.

6 hours ago, HamCam said:

As I believe in rehabilitation, I am willing to give Lithgow the benefit of the doubt especially as he has not re-offended since 2007. It's not as if Morton is a club for angels. In relatively recent times we had Alex Williams who had a conviction for assault with a golf club, and a Commercial Manager who was accessing inappropriate material on his laptop. I am sure it was a difficult decision for the Board and MCT but we are where we are and I hope Lithgow is a success at Morton.

What happened to Norris after his crimes became public knowledge? Did he leave to go onto pastures new and a role that was more to his liking and for the benefit of his career? Or did he leave in disgrace because of the severity of his crime, either sacked or forced to resign? I can't say for certain which one it is, but I can hazard a guess.

Like it or not, a criminal record affects a person's employment prospects for the rest of their days, and the Disclosure system in this country treats certain crimes far more seriously than others. Nobody's condoning the actions of Williams at the time, but offences of a sexual nature are quite rightly looked down upon as extremely heinous. He wouldn't be able to get a job in a hell of a lot of industries which don't give anything like the earnings and status of being a professional footballer gives, because most employers wouldn't want their brand to be associated with him and their customers to be exposed to him. 

I'm firmly in the NIMBY camp, here. If someone else wants to employ him, that's entirely their business. But when it's my club, I'm not happy with it at all.

This is a sad day in the history of this club, and a sadder day for it's future if these are the standards our new owners are holding for their employees.

I'm not really keen on the signing instinctively, but it's fair to remember this was 14 years ago. People can change dramatically in that time period - particularly from essentially a horny wee guy to a grown man. It certainly doesn't excuse the behaviour, to be clear.

It does show a great strength of character to come back from that - I don't think I'd leave the hoose, never mind continue as a pro footballer - so in an odd kind of way it could be beneficial in the dressing room. I do wonder though what his teammates will make of it, particularly those with wives and children.

In terms of him as a footballer, I know he's been held back in his career given the obvious, but he's really not got as much experience at this level as you'd think. He's had 3 full seasons at this level, one full at Prem (another 2 at Prem, but blighted by injury), and the rest at League One/Two playing part-time.

I wouldn't have signed him but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I think more people need to read this. They're not the words of someone who is sorry or remorseful. 

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I'm firmly in the NIMBY camp, here. If someone else wants to employ him, that's entirely their business. But when it's my club, I'm not happy with it at all.

This is a sad day in the history of this club, and a sadder day for it's future if these are the stadards our new owners are holding for their employees.

Think you've nailed it. I've been wrestling with it in my mind but, ultimately, he's not for me. 

There are all sorts of implications that can arise from signing someone who is on the sex offenders register. For example in my capacity as a child protection officer for a youth football team, I had to assess whether or not a visiting player who was on the SOR was a risk to the ball girls at an SPFL league game. It was fairly clear in that case that there was no discernible risk, but it is something that must follow convicted offenders around for the rest of their lives. I’m not ecstatic about this signing, but I suppose we’re stuck with it. For what it’s worth, I doubt there is any risk involved with this particular player, although the club will perhaps need to be careful with any stuff like school visits and other community stuff. Possibly a bit of a minefield.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Notwithstanding his previous, giving a 2 year contact to an injury prone 33 year old is madness.

Aye, this too. Made complete sense for Jacobs but who’d be trying to take a 34 year old Alan Lithgow off us? 

Archived