Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 65 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

I didn't hear much of anything about Ledger but he turned out very solid. Sometimes being an unknown quantity is a good thing as it means there's no competition for a signature. I won't be too worried about signing unknown players but if we start just bringing in regens from Elgin and the like, then I'll worry.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Doddie said:

We are after mcginn permanently. Also tele says that McLean from Montrose has decided to stay part time 

I wonder if the club have actually considered having a mix of full time and part time players and how this would work. Seems like a no brainer to me especially if it could attract good players. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Would’ve preferred to keep McGuffie, there’s a good player in there. Shame Millar didn’t really get a send off in front of supporters too. Orsi...yeah...

Won’t lose much sleep over the departures. Last season’s squad needs emptied as much as possible. 

McGuffie has been at Raith, Ayr and ourselves and has failed to nail down a first team place at any one of them. Thanks for the effort and a few cracking goals but it's time to be ruthless about this and let a joke outfit like 'Airdrie' or 'Falkirk' take that gamble instead.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

All leave with thanks for their contributions especially Millar who has been a great professional in both spells at the club. If Morton are to not only survive but kick on MCT need to be ruthless. Still some to move on and then hopefully the rebuild of the squad can take shape 

Whilst I think it's probably the right thing for the club,  I'm quite sad to see Millar going. His career has been exemplary, he's a true role model for any young player either coming through at a lower level or "dropping down" from a bigger team. If every player who's passed through Cappielow had even half of Chris' commitment, we'd have established ourselves in the top flight years ago. 

I've no idea what his future holds, but I'd be delighted to have him back at the club some day if there's a suitable opportunity.

As for McGuffie, he might/probably will go elsewhere and be good at some point but aside from the odd spectacular goal he was pretty distinctly average. After the way that season went, I wouldn't be too inclined to be giving many players the benefit of the doubt of another chance, so I think letting him go is the right choice too.

AWMSC

30 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Whilst I think it's probably the right thing for the club,  I'm quite sad to see Millar going. His career has been exemplary, he's a true role model for any young player either coming through at a lower level or "dropping down" from a bigger team. If every player who's passed through Cappielow had even half of Chris' commitment, we'd have established ourselves in the top flight years ago. 

I've no idea what his future holds, but I'd be delighted to have him back at the club some day if there's a suitable opportunity.

As for McGuffie, he might/probably will go elsewhere and be good at some point but aside from the odd spectacular goal he was pretty distinctly average. After the way that season went, I wouldn't be too inclined to be giving many players the benefit of the doubt of another chance, so I think letting him go is the right choice too.

Aye, he can pay in like everyone else.  There will be plenty of opportunities in the future.

*insert signature here*

Could've seen the case for McGuffie as a squad player but that's about it. 

I am surprised Millar isn't hanging up the boots, which cash-heavy non league side is he joining? 

Orsi..thank fuck. That miss against Alloa early doors would've saved any panic of relegation.

McGuffie would've been a good sub to have. He's got a bit of talent and is capable of the spectacular, but he's barely involved in games for the most part. Right now at this level, as a starter, he's a bit of a luxury. If he wants to progress his career with regular starts then he's best dropping down a level.

Relieved that Orsi is gone. Glad that Millar got to leave on a positive note, coming back in for a good performance against Montrose, but a sensible decision there too. 

Millar has been a exemplar during his 2 spells with us and I wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Orsi has had ample opportunity to establish himself but apart from a lot of running about he's not done anything to deserve another contract. McGuffie is a puzzle as he looks like he's capable of being something but again he's not demonstrated enough to earn himself more time. 

Overall I'm happy to see the clear out continue.

17 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

Can we have some more please?

I have to agree. 

I'm sure there is other reasons why we are being drip fed information (holidays etc) but it feels more like he'd be happy to keep the rest of them the less information we receive. 

On 5/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, SpoonTon said:

I really didn't want to keep McLean on last year. He was a liability in his first season. I suspect that was mostly injury/fitness related. 

While I still think there is an obvious weakness with his pace, and particularly with the way attacking players can get away from him in the box, I think he's been fine this season for the most part. Maybe an unpopular opinion but he was arguably our best centre back last season (excluding Ledger, who mostly played RB).

Not overly fussed about McGuffie. He's been around the block but is still young and obviously had a bit of ability. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a good career but more likely than not he'll be juniors in a few years. 

Archived