Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 63 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Happy with that. Valuable experience around the place and was absolutely fine last season. 

Anything that lowers our top knots to squad size ratio is okay in my book. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really didn't want to keep McLean on last year. He was a liability in his first season. I suspect that was mostly injury/fitness related. 

While I still think there is an obvious weakness with his pace, and particularly with the way attacking players can get away from him in the box, I think he's been fine this season for the most part. Maybe an unpopular opinion but he was arguably our best centre back last season (excluding Ledger, who mostly played RB).

Like others I thought McLean performed better than last season and overall his contribution was ok. He's not quick but with a decent player alongside he could form a reasonably solid partnership. Would be good to see Ledger joining up again.

6 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Really hoping that Gus has known for a while that he was getting the job and has been speaking to some of the current squad and making enquiries about new players. Jacobs is a great start although I'd be concerned that he continued to play with 2 sitting midfielders in front of a back 4 which didn't work until the two Airdrie games. Like others I'd be happy to see McAdams, Ledger and McLean stay with Lyon, Strapp and Hynes. The only others I'd consider keeping at a push are mcguffie and Oliver. I'm not really sure about the younger players in and around the squad and whether any of them are ready to make the step up. It's clear we definitely need centre backs and strikers. Over the season there's been a few players who have stood out against us and imo we should be making moves to bring them in. Milne and McLean from Montrose would be good additions as would Turner from Airdrie. Can't think of any centre halves at the moment.

I think the two sitting midfielders was due to the shakiness of our central defenders, two of which have now left and the most reliable one re-signed along with Jacobs. Starting the rebuild from the back is an encouraging start.

5 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I really didn't want to keep McLean on last year. He was a liability in his first season. I suspect that was mostly injury/fitness related. 

While I still think there is an obvious weakness with his pace, and particularly with the way attacking players can get away from him in the box, I think he's been fine this season for the most part. Maybe an unpopular opinion but he was arguably our best centre back last season (excluding Ledger, who mostly played RB).

An unpopular opinion if your name is Markus Fjortoft, perhaps. Not really for anyone else though.

22 hours ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

No, you're still free to post in the forum.

Unless Toby has his red paint brush in hand.

Record of giving 523 reds. As he has giving me only 100 who got the rest?

Anyway he got a pat on the back from admin, do they do forum blazers?

Anyone giving this a red dot must consider this not to be an open supporters forum but an extension of their WhatsApp group.

Oh have a nice summer 😇😇😇

image.png

4 hours ago, Ton4life said:

Unless Toby has his red paint brush in hand.

Record of giving 523 reds. As he has giving me only 100 who got the rest?

Anyway he got a pat on the back from admin, do they do forum blazers?

Anyone giving this a red dot must consider this not to be an open supporters forum but an extension of their WhatsApp group.

Oh have a nice summer 😇😇😇

image.png

101*

11 hours ago, Madton said:

Fjortoft, Mcginty, Salkeld, Wallace and Omar no longer on the official squad page...Muirhead, Blues and Orsi still are though.🤔

Wouldn't read anything into that about anyone being offered new deals. While Nesbitt and Johnson have been removed as well, McGinn's still there and we know his loan's expiring even if we are going to try bringing him back. I'm sure some players in that 'on loan' section have been released now as well?

With Wallace and Omar already having been away on loan and Johnson having been bombed out as soon as MacPherson came in, those three had possibly already been told they weren't being offered new deals weeks ago but the club haven't announced anything yet as they're going to do a proper update detailing everyone who'll be released and they haven't had that conversation with the likes of Orsi yet. I'm taking that as updating players who are away already rather than meaning all the rest have had offers.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Tbh if we are going to be shite then at least I'll have Muirhead to hate-watch the same way everyone did with only an excuse for over a decade

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Okay, now alarm bells are ringing that we might offer deals to the rest. The fact that remaining group includes Butler is what gives me hope that's not the case and they're just drip feeding details as they have conversations with players, but that would seem a weird way to go about things.

The remaining out of contract players are McAdams, Butler, Ledger, Blues, Millar, McGuffie, Colville, Oliver, Orsi and Muirhead, plus some more youngsters who've never been near a squad. Surely there's no way we're retaining all of them while running with a smaller squad? Some of them just obviously aren't up to the Championship.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived