Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 62 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offering good older players multiple year deals is the only way we are going to compete with other teams in the league. You love to see it! 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'm fine with Jacobs staying on and it will be a benefit to have that continuity (and flexibility) in the squad.

I'm not fine with two year deals right now though: not with as yet unlimited government restrictions on our business model; not when we could be in the seaside leagues in 12 months' time without any external backing to actually cover this. 

There's a distinct trade-off between those two things and I'm concerned that the club is leaving itself a hostage to fortune.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

27 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'm fine with Jacobs staying on and it will be a benefit to have that continuity (and flexibility) in the squad.

I'm not fine with two year deals right now though: not with as yet unlimited government restrictions on our business model; not when we could be in the seaside leagues in 12 months' time without any external backing to actually cover this. 

There's a distinct trade-off between those two things and I'm concerned that the club is leaving itself a hostage to fortune.

I doubt very much the full time wages we are offering players are at a level much higher than we'd pay in league one so I don't see it as much of a risk. Players are after security these days so multi year deals on affordable wages for us seems like the best way for us to compete in the market in my opinion. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

45 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If, a monumental if, we are in any way sensible then there will surely be break clauses in these contracts. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

I doubt very much the full time wages we are offering players are at a level much higher than we'd pay in league one so I don't see it as much of a risk. Players are after security these days so multi year deals on affordable wages for us seems like the best way for us to compete in the market in my opinion. 

What guarantee is there that we'd be paying full-time wages in League One next season? 

We're not dealing with a McGinty or Salkeld here so the football case for this is sound, but I'm not fully comfortable with the new regime discarding the huge uncertainties about the next twelve months never mind two years' time. It was just six months ago that there was talk of us circling the drain until a government bailout saved the day. There's no guarantee of further largesse in the future. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

What guarantee is there that we'd be paying full-time wages in League One next season? 

We're not dealing with a McGinty or Salkeld here so the football case for this is sound, but I'm not fully comfortable with the new regime discarding the huge uncertainties about the next twelve months never mind two years' time. It was just six months ago that there was talk of us circling the drain until a government bailout saved the day. There's no guarantee of further largesse in the future. 

This is precisely why when - not if - the new chairman swaps his blazer for a Grim Reaper outfit, I won't be paying attention.

EOho8Pw.png

Really hoping that Gus has known for a while that he was getting the job and has been speaking to some of the current squad and making enquiries about new players. Jacobs is a great start although I'd be concerned that he continued to play with 2 sitting midfielders in front of a back 4 which didn't work until the two Airdrie games. Like others I'd be happy to see McAdams, Ledger and McLean stay with Lyon, Strapp and Hynes. The only others I'd consider keeping at a push are mcguffie and Oliver. I'm not really sure about the younger players in and around the squad and whether any of them are ready to make the step up. It's clear we definitely need centre backs and strikers. Over the season there's been a few players who have stood out against us and imo we should be making moves to bring them in. Milne and McLean from Montrose would be good additions as would Turner from Airdrie. Can't think of any centre halves at the moment.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Really hoping that Gus has known for a while that he was getting the job and has been speaking to some of the current squad and making enquiries about new players. Jacobs is a great start although I'd be concerned that he continued to play with 2 sitting midfielders in front of a back 4 which didn't work until the two Airdrie games. Like others I'd be happy to see McAdams, Ledger and McLean stay with Lyon, Strapp and Hynes. The only others I'd consider keeping at a push are mcguffie and Oliver. I'm not really sure about the younger players in and around the squad and whether any of them are ready to make the step up. It's clear we definitely need centre backs and strikers. Over the season there's been a few players who have stood out against us and imo we should be making moves to bring them in. Milne and McLean from Montrose would be good additions as would Turner from Airdrie. Can't think of any centre halves at the moment.

My concern about McLean is that the consensus until recently was that he is a bit of a donkey. His recent performances seem to have changed minds a little bit, but it might just have been a decent run of form. There's no longer term evidence that he's good enough to step up to the Championship.

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

My concern about McLean is that the consensus until recently was that he is a bit of a donkey. His recent performances seem to have changed minds a little bit, but it might just have been a decent run of form. There's no longer term evidence that he's good enough to step up to the Championship.

You could at least make the case that he's 22 and capable of developing his game at a higher level, but that's my concern as well. Despite the seaside league diddies being highly confident that garbage Airdrie side would compete against second tier opposition, the consensus has been that McLean is a carthorse.

On the other side, we have not had a physical centre forward in our squad for years, and it would be an upgrade on Orsi (who is just a headless chicken) as an option coming off the bench. If we're planning on building a team around either McLean or Muirhead or both of them though then I'd be quite concerned. 

I think he noticeably tailed off towards the end of the season despite having a better season overall than 19/20. With that in mind you'd hope we're not planning to have him start him every week, but then if we're handing out contracts to 36 year old centre backs as cover it would suggest we're not really going for the quality over quantity approach either.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived