Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 58 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Fair play to Salkeld continuing to get a wage at this level. You could never fault the boy's effort but as a striker/forward you do expect a bit more end product. Going to be fun watching the Ayr fans tearing their hair out at his touch and straight-line runs although the fear is he does what all ex-Morton players do and scores against us.

As for Ferguson way too much baggage for me.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, HamCam said:

As for Ferguson way too much baggage for me.

Press conference called for Thursday for his Alloa unveiling.

His predecessor at Kelty is the front runner for the Dundee Utd Jon...

Fair play to Salkeld. Always gave his all and genuinely seemed to care when others looked a bit disinterested. His presence helped us in the playoffs overall though, but his lack of goals (along with a few others) put us in that position in the first place. 

Gus said a few players had signed up elsewhere so will be interesting to see who follows him to Ayr. Colville, McAdams, and Jacobs maybe? 

Hopefully we get our house in order and fill the managers position as soon as. We are ultimately a week or 2 behind other teams and we have to get it bang on this season due to the calibre we’ll be up against. 

With MCT not taking over till 1st June they probably can't make any announcements, on a legal basis, about appointment of manager but I expect they will be having talks in the meantime and may even already have him 'signed up'

Maybe one that could go under the radar and has done a reasonable job considering the team. Kevin Rutkiewicz.

Other than a reasonable finish in League 2, particularly with some bigger spending sides I couldn't tell you much else about his management style. 

1 hour ago, allyballybee said:

Or her?

Fair point, I hear Sandra Fisher is a strong contender for the manager's job.

On Salkeld, you certainly couldn't fault him for effort and at times you could see things from him that suggest he'd be a pretty decent player at a much lower level...but he's a long, long way off being a Championship standard one. Which, of course, means he'll probably run riot next season and score about 10 against us.

AWMSC

I see Danny Rogers has been freed by Killie. Probably no chance of him coming back though.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

I see Danny Rogers has been freed by Killie. Probably no chance of him coming back though.

Would imagine he'll wind up a back up in a premiership team.  From what I saw of Killie last season (which admittedly was mostly BBC highlights) I thought he did alright so probably out of our wage range.

ETA the Tele today is saying we're linked with the big Montrose striker that got 2 goals against us.  1, I really hope we're not building a team of lower league guys hoping they can step up and do a job and 2, I also really hope this means a manager is in place ready to be announced as I don't want someone coming in having to deal with new players he hasn't signed (not counting those already under contract) 

here today, gone to hell

To be fair, I think we could do worse than the boy McLean from Montrose, was definitely a handful against us, can hold the ball up well and gets in about it. He's only 22 so hopefully will only get better (although Morton may stagnate that!)

Also reporting Fjortoft and McGinty joining Ayr and Jacobs has held talks with Falkirk. Would be upset to lose Fjortoft and Jacobs but I'll offer to drive McGinty down the coast. 

If we're being honest, how many players are actually going to want to re-sign for us after the utter basket case manner in which many aspects of the club have been run in the last couple of years? It's no surprise that our players would want to join a manager at Ayr who resigned from his position here so that he didn't need to cut the playing staff (and, to be clear, you don't need to tell me how much of a mess Hoppy made of recruitment). 

Letting the dust settle, getting a new management team in, and starting again with a new vision for the club and a new ethos in terms of how its run is probably for the best. 

Jacobs is a decent holding midfield player, there have been times when I haven't rated him at all, but he's decent when left to get on with doing the simple things (pressing, short (very short) passes, etc.). Fjortoft seems like a great character and can be really commanding, but he also almost cost us our place in the league with his disaster in Montrose - and it wasn't his first performance like that. Even with him, I'm happy enough to be making a fresh start with the squad for the coming year. 

28 minutes ago, gmfc_craig said:

To be fair, I think we could do worse than the boy McLean from Montrose, was definitely a handful against us, can hold the ball up well and gets in about it. He's only 22 so hopefully will only get better (although Morton may stagnate that!)

Also reporting Fjortoft and McGinty joining Ayr and Jacobs has held talks with Falkirk. Would be upset to lose Fjortoft and Jacobs but I'll offer to drive McGinty down the coast. 

Champagne GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

here today, gone to hell

Have to second that about McGinty, joining a defence in this league benefits us more. I expect Markus to move on but Ayr is not what I would consider a good move for him. 

Colville is a weird one, never seemed to fit into anyone's plans but there's a good player in there that we seen in flashes. I think it came down to our style in the end, tells you everything you need to know about Hopkin. Brings in a technically gifted midfielder and fires the ball over them every chance he gets. 

I said to my mate that the boy McLean looked a sure fire signing for Inverness, they like to have a big target man type player who's a bit of a handful. I'd have him in but not as a starter. 

There are people I'd like to keep for sure but tbh there's also no star player that is completely unreplaceable so won't be getting too upset at any of the players leaving. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived