Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 57 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy if we interviewed some younger ambitious candidates rather than the tawdry merry-go-round of washed up has beens or never weres. Totally fed up listening to guys bigging up dross to cover up their lack of ideas and expectations.

Inverness, Dunfermline, Morton, Falkirk, Ross County, Dundee United, Queens Park and potentially Killie all looking for a manager this summer.

Gives me the fear. What sort of clown are we going to end up with after they all have their pick? 

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

It's certainly true that Kelty had the biggest budget in the LL. I don't think it's true that they scraped promotion. And my saying that half the guys on the merry-go-round would be worse is not the same as saying that Ferguson would be an amazing appointment.

Beating Brechin narrowly in both legs is absolutely scraping promotion given the resources at Kelty's disposal. 

"If guys like Stevie Crawford and Ray McKinnon and David Hopkin and Robbie Neilson and Neil McCann keep getting jobs at this level, I don't see what makes Ferguson so woefully underqualified."

Four out of those five have some track record of success managing at a mostly full-time level, at the second tier of Scottish football or higher. Barry Ferguson has no comparable track record of success in the SPFL. 

This makes him demonstrably underqualified. BSC Glasgow's manager has stepped up to Stenhousemuir to demonstrate his ability; that's the level of next job that would be expected of Kelty's manager if his baggage as a player were left at the door. 

"He certainly shouldn't be considered a favorite, but is it that outlandish that a guy with a few years of lower-league experience under his belt, and now a playoff win, get a shot? I don't think it is."

If experience of utter failure among the bottom-feeders of the SPFL and then heroically beating 'Caledonian Braves' and a bunch of other made-up outfits to win a regional league qualifies someone to become our manager then we're as well shutting the gates for good.

If Ferguson ever develops a sustained track record outside of the Fife Gretna then we'll talk. Jumping up three divisions now has got nothing to do with demonstrated ability and everything to do with a name. It would be a foolish consideration and almost certainly be a disastrous appointment. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

While much of the shit Ferguson gets is undoubtedly due to his playing background, there's also absolutely no doubt that he's only in the frame for getting a bigger job due to that background. Winning the Lowland League and labouring past an awful Brechin side with a squad which is League One playoff challenging material would not be grounds to get the vast majority of managers a job like Alloa after the total catastrophe he oversaw at Clyde.

It's right that managers get a chance to bounce back at a lower level after doing dreadful jobs as they may have learned from their mistakes. If they demonstrate that with the job they do then step back up good for them, but having not faced any of the challenges that led to Clyde's implosion Ferguson hasn't and his experience at Kelty clearly says nothing about his suitability for a club like Alloa.

Ferguson getting that job on the strength of his performance with Kelty while ignoring his failings at Clyde would be like Ray McKinnon getting the Dunfermline job on the strength of his performance at Queen's Park with a Championship budget, ignoring the disaster he was at Falkirk. Although even in the Snake's case it wouldn't be as wild as Ferguson, because you can at least present examples of him doing well in the past at a club like Raith. The only success Ferguson has to point to is the heavily qualified steamrollering of a league most of his squad would never have been near if it wasn't for obscene amounts of money relative to their opposition.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Derek Ferguson, when doing Open all Mics, sounds like he’s struggling to read what’s in front of him. I don’t rate him as a pundit or a reporter.
Puts me in mind of Derek “wooden” Johnstone presenting Football First on the TV.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

15 hours ago, Deego said:

Where?

It was in The Herald printed edition, can’t find it online. McGinn was saying he can’t believe Muirhead’s playing at such a low level as Morton, whilst also mentioning that he himself hopes to be back in the SPL next season, as he’d just came to help us avoid relegation. I took that to mean he wouldn’t be up for staying with The Ton next season.

56 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

It was in The Herald printed edition, can’t find it online. McGinn was saying he can’t believe Muirhead’s playing at such a low level as Morton, whilst also mentioning that he himself hopes to be back in the SPL next season, as he’d just came to help us avoid relegation. I took that to mean he wouldn’t be up for staying with The Ton next season.

Thanks. 

Good start. He was a trier but ultimately isn't ever going to be good enough for this level. Getting players who are surplus to requirements out the door before even confirming who the manager will be is encouraging, and those players going to a potential relegation rival can only be a good thing.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Echo all of the above, but like Gus said in his post match interviews on Friday, you have to commend those who already knew they were away for  giving their all over the play off games.

It would have been easy enough for them to say fuck it I'm not going to be here next season anyway.

I know there's the argument that it was the same players who put us in that position in the first place but they could have still decided not to try a leg.

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Echo all of the above, but like Gus said in his post match interviews on Friday, you have to commend those who already knew they were away for  giving their all over the play off games.

It would have been easy enough for them to say fuck it I'm not going to be here next season anyway.

I know there's the argument that it was the same players who put us in that position in the first place but they could have still decided not to try a leg.

They say nurses have it tough.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived