Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 54 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

After the last two games I think we could do a lot worse than taking the Montrose number 10 who was a threat and knows where the goal is and the boy milne who seemed quite handy. Certainly upgrades on some of the shite we have.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

After the last two games I think we could do a lot worse than taking the Montrose number 10 who was a threat and knows where the goal is and the boy milne who seemed quite handy. Certainly upgrades on some of the shite we have.

The big no 10 was definitely a real pest in both games and would not look out of place in a higher div. Somehow I doubt the lad will end up with us assuming he wants to move to advance his career. 

Petrie has put together a good squad who are capable of playing decent football, and he's exactly the type of relatively young managers I'd like to see at Cappielow.

6 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

You can trouse everyone if you like but in reality..... 7 or so players need added to the squad.... we've not looked defensively shocking by any manner of means...add 2 good players in central and fullback positions.....midfield probably 3 good options.... and instead of paying peanuts add at least 2 proven goalscorer....with maybe a loan... I personally see a Duffy esc squad no problem....definitely not a relegation fighting squad....but there remains work to be done to even consider that position!!!

This is why we can't have a competent football club. Slither past a team that finished midtable in the seaside league AET and suddenly start thinking we have the making of a decent side. We don't. 

I'm not sure where you think the solution to 'paying peanuts' is going to come from; though as ever the monumental nick of our club's finances are nothing compared to the prospect of a grim dogfight in the right tier!!!11!!! next season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We need to desperately trim the squad, no room for sentiment, especially if we stay up. To have any chance of actually sorting the club out whilst staying in the championship we need to to with quality not quantity. I think we have 21 first team players not including the likes of mcgratten, wylie or easdale. That's way too many considering that we are skint. Even more galling is that we have players like johnson and butler who we will never actually see. 

Moreover, our use of the loan market has to be better. Arbroath signing Hamilton, Caley getting Scott Allan and Queens with their Rangers loanees all made a positive difference to their season. Then, we have McGinn who isn't terrible but supplemented by whatever the fuck Kaziah Sterling was.

Regardless of division, other than the players already signed up, I'd keep McAdams, Ledger, Fjortoft and Jacobs. Case can be made for Luca Colville and maybe Aidan Nesbitt. 

He’s still young, but I just don’t see Nesbitt getting any better. If we go down you can probably make a stronger case for keeping him, but if we’ve managed to stay up I’d be saying thank you and goodbye.

1 hour ago, so72 said:

We need to desperately purge the squad, no room for sentiment, especially if we stay up. 

FTFY.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

He’s still young, but I just don’t see Nesbitt getting any better. If we go down you can probably make a stronger case for keeping him, but if we’ve managed to stay up I’d be saying thank you and goodbye.

If we go down then key players like him have failed and should be out the door without the slightest hesitation.

They have of course already failed by finishing 9th, regardless of the incompetence raining down from every other level at the club. Some of our surprisingly okay ringers might merit a deal: key players who didn't deliver the goods should all be out the door. 

As we saw again last night, I don't think anyone can fault the current squad for their effort and commitment, but the overall quality is undoubtedly poor. Irrespective of the outcome of the final play-off, the vast majority of the currently squad should be genuinely thanked for their efforts in this shit-show of a season on and off the park, and given our sincere best wishes on their way out of the door. 

Unlike other squads we've had in the past, I think they're a genuine, honest, hard-working bunch of lads, and I bear none of them any ill will, even if they do relegate us.

8 hours ago, vikingTON said:

This is why we can't have a competent football club. Slither past a team that finished midtable in the seaside league AET and suddenly start thinking we have the making of a decent side. We don't. 

I'm not sure where you think the solution to 'paying peanuts' is going to come from; though as ever the monumental nick of our club's finances are nothing compared to the prospect of a grim dogfight in the right tier!!!11!!! next season. 

I hope the solution for paying peanuts comes from a competently run football club!?!?. MCT have already publicly stated they hope to increase the budget....which surely would put us on par with the likes of Raith...though obviously the proof will be in what actually happens as apossed to the usual speculation!

I happen to think you have a point in getting the best part time players and it should be seen together with a nucleus of good quality fulltime pros as well as our youth and players of the type that McAdams and Legder in their early 20s who we hopefully can develop...but that is some wish list!!!

1 hour ago, Nornirontons said:

I hope the solution for paying peanuts comes from a competently run football club!?!?. MCT have already publicly stated they hope to increase the budget....which surely would put us on par with the likes of Raith...though obviously the proof will be in what actually happens as apossed to the usual speculation!

I didn't see anything in their takeover plan about increasing the first team budget. The onus of the first three years of the new ownership is about getting us to a viable, break-even position instead of 'rolling, disastrous losses'. Some of that will hopefully come from reforming our abysmal commercial efforts but it's also going to require at least strict budget control and most likely cuts. 

You could argue that if you put all the ringers together then we might have enough for a decent striker, but if the rest of the squad aren't getting a similar wage then that creates other problems. 

The only way to offer a credible living and competitive first team wage is to tell senior players to get a job as well and supplement that. 

According to the April document from MCT, At the moment player wages are around 70% of turnover. For 2021-22, MCT have budgeted for 47% of turnover. They are assuming around 1m of turnover, which was the 2019-20 income. So the playing budget will be, then, around 470k.

If you split that 15 ways, purely hypothetically, that's 31k a year, or around 700 quid a week for a 44-week contract with absolutely no bonuses - again, purely hypothetically. In other words, that's not going to happen.

It is inconceivable that we can be competitive with such a budget with a large, full-time squad. MCT, then, have committed to the following:

image.png

I would expect our squad to look like that of a non-league team in England, tier 6 or so, where there'll be a few established players on good wages for the level, then youths and a few part-timers on comparatively very little. Or, to put it another way, it's the "Zidanes y Pavones" approach of the Galacticos era at Real Madrid.

This approach absolutely has its risks, especially if you end up with zero depth in a key position. But if we want to stop bleeding money, cutting the wage-to-turnover ratio is a great start as the club rebuilds off the pitch. 

(I would guess, but can't be sure, that a 47% WTT ratio would place us firmly in the healthiest Scottish clubs going off that metric.)

EOho8Pw.png

Please listen to MCT Q&A....the question on budgets was asked by Dean and I put forward the question. 

The answer on what is hoped for on squad budget was answered and is there for all to hear!! 

Tbh I have probably assumed wrongly that people on here listen to the podcasts ....maybe not????

On the one hand we have an answer to a podcast question and on the other there's a pretty detailed business plan for the takeover that people were asked to vote on last month, and one of these is not of equal value as a source of information. 

MCT can hope to increase the budget all they want, so long as the priority that they've set out of establishing the club on an even keel comes first. Unless they discover an untapped oil reserve under the WDE one of the first steps that they will have to do is reduce the budget in the short term. Over 60% spend on wages is unsustainable. 

13 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

Please listen to MCT Q&A....the question on budgets was asked by Dean and I put forward the question. 

The answer on what is hoped for on squad budget was answered and is there for all to hear!! 

Tbh I have probably assumed wrongly that people on here listen to the podcasts ....maybe not????

I tend not to. I'm on the phone much of the day at work and I prefer listening to music in the evenings. I'd be happy to listen to the question and its answer - what is the timestamp?

EOho8Pw.png

We have players like Nesbitt and Oliver who are now as good as they are going to be. I think the new manager (or Gus) will be able to quickly decide if they’re worth keeping, without worrying if there could be potential there that we could miss out on. The harder task will be deciding which of our younger players could improve with decent experienced pros alongside them. It will be a gamble they’ll need to take with the likes of Lyon and Colville. 

Please point me in the direction to sign the 'thanks for your efforts but now you are leaving card'. As this squad of players got us into the play-offs at the wrong end of the league why should they be rewarded with further time to practice their sand-dancing, hoofs up the park, shooting drills involving balls on the railway line... ?

Ayr fan suggesting Hopkin has signed 2 players but won't be announced until their season is over, so I'm guessing that's us.

2 of McAdams, Colville and Jacobs you'd think.

Let's hope it's Orsi and McGinty though.

3 hours ago, Madton said:

Ayr fan suggesting Hopkin has signed 2 players but won't be announced until their season is over, so I'm guessing that's us.

2 of McAdams, Colville and Jacobs you'd think.

Let's hope it's Orsi and McGinty though.

I'd seen some suggesting Salkeld a while ago, due to social media reasons - him or his family members following Ayr pages or people or something like that. 

We should know not to guess which players Hoppy wants to sign. It's probably Salkeld and Blues. 

1 hour ago, gmfc23 said:

He can take every out of contract failure at the club for all I care. The place needs emptied even if we stay up. 

Agreed. Wouldn't be overly fussed at anyone leaving.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived