Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 53 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Salkeld has repeatedly proven himself to be utter shite, there’s no harm in putting a youth player in instead. He’s not going to be any less effective.

I don't know if putting on the 21 year old Easdale instead of the 22 year old Salkeld is exactly putting a youth player in instead. 

I do go along with the 'not going to be any less effective' line, though. I mean, maybe he would be marginally less effective, but Salkeld, Muirhead, and Orsi don't even have a first touch between them - none of them can be described as particularly effective. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:31 AM, dunning1874 said:

We'll be getting relegated, then. We obviously have to sign a right back and goalkeeper but that then only gives us our starting back four of a new right back, Strapp, McGinty and McLean with no cover other than Hynes. Even after those two signings, a defence that's going to leak at least two goals a game with those centre backs will still be a bigger issue to address than the obvious lack of goals in the team.

^^^ demonstrably wrong

On 9/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, vikingTON said:

McAlister has played centre back, Jacobs right back as well. While you don't rate our current centre backs - and rightly so because they're dung - we neither will nor should spend what's left of the budget on signing another two. There is no need for four first team centre backs for a 27 game campaign.

A first choice goalkeeper, right back and an actual centre forward have to be the top priorities and only after that could we even consider adding one more defender.  

^^^ fact-based analysis

On 9/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, dunning1874 said:

I absolutely agree that we need a better centre forward, but it's only the fourth biggest problem we have with 21 players already signed. 

^^^ wrong again

On 9/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, vikingTON said:

None of the above players are credible centre forwards as their historic goals figure shows. If we do not have a centre forward capable of getting double figures (from 27 games) then we have no chance. It is not a question of existing squad numbers as much as priority: the three first team positions that still need filled are goalkeeper, right back and centre forward respectively. Two more central defenders will achieve nothing other than bringing our negative goal difference down without those positions being filled. 

^^^ more fact-based analysis

On 9/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, EdinTon said:

"a clean sheet is worth just over two goals scored in terms of points across the course of a season" The Numbers Game

^^^ Gus McPherson found

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On 9/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, dunning1874 said:

If we're going to end up short in one area we have a choice:

Sign a centre forward who can realistically hit 10 goals or thereabouts in a 27 game season, hope we can muddle through with our current centre backs who will see us ship at least two goals a game by winning 3-2 or 4-3 every so often

Sign a solid centre back or two who can make us a better defensive unit and give us a realistic prospect of keeping some clean sheets, hope we can muddle through with our current forwards despite knowing none of them will manage double figures by winning 1-0 or 2-1 every so often

However, the latter option is clearly a more credible route to survival. If you have a competent defence you can grind out points despite a lack of goals. If you concede 60 in a 27 game season you're going down.

^^^ wrong again 

On 9/3/2020 at 1:04 PM, vikingTON said:

Even the 13/14 team only conceded 70 in an entire season (so only 60 after 35 games) so your comparison point here is completely ridiculous. You also simply don't get to win games 2-1 more than once a season when your most prolific forward in the entire squad is expected to yield, erm, three goals over a 27 game campaign from his previous exploits. We are hardly shitting goals from the current midfield options either so the absence of a real centre forward is in fact a key failing in this particular squad that has to be resolved. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There's only actually one player in double figures this season (Boyce). There's a few who could join him on Friday, but all we really needed was a player or two who could've up among the higher single figures. 

Important to note that the goalscoring rate of a few players is better than 10 for the season. This very notably includes Jack Hamilton. I think the rest pretty much speaks for itself. 

If we had anything like decent strikers we would've won yesterday. 

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

^^^ wrong again 

These discussions were had before we did make several more signings in both areas. Our lack of quality in attack has been the main factor in our now odds on relegation, but without the defensive signings we'd have been considerably worse off as well. We signed Ledger, Fjortoft, MacIver, McPake and Wallace weeks later.

Those were two entirely necessary defensive signings, and you can take all three of the further attacking signings failing to address our obvious deficiency up with David Hopkin.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

For those who - like me - didn't partake of the POTY award tonight, latest intel shows that McAdams got a clean sweep of the three awards - POTY, Players' POTY, and Young POTY.

Fair play, he's had a good season, one of our better keepers in a while. I'd be happy if he stayed on.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

These discussions were had before we did make several more signings in both areas. Our lack of quality in attack has been the main factor in our now odds on relegation, but without the defensive signings we'd have been considerably worse off as well. We signed Ledger, Fjortoft, MacIver, McPake and Wallace weeks later.

Those were two entirely necessary defensive signings, and you can take all three of the further attacking signings failing to address our obvious deficiency up with David Hopkin.

Nice try, but you in fact demanded a right back and two extra centre backs before we even considered adding a centre forward who was above League Two standard. Whereas just three competent players alone at that time - the goalkeeper, the right back and a centre forward - would have us comfortably midtable right now. But here we are with Orsi and the gang fluffing every single chance in the crucial must-win game of the season because We Didn't Have Four Centre Backs Yet. 

Not only has the 'defensive solidity can get us through' argument turned out to be utter bollocks, it has also produced the most consistently abysmal 'contribution' in terms of viewing spectacle in the second tier this side of Brechin pocketing the prize money for their social club kitty and getting four points all season. 

And yet we did sign three more forwards before the season started. None of them made a difference either.

I'm not disagreeing that the lack of goals is what's relegated us here - no team with this bad a goals to game ratio has ever stayed out of the bottom two or made it through the playoffs. However it was entirely correct and necessary to sign more defenders as a priority when we only had Strapp, McLean and McGinty as first team options, and indeed if we'd been able to keep McGinty away from the team all season we'd have been better off as well.

That Hopkin failed to add any quality in a further three attacking signings in addition to the seven he'd already made, or McElhone when he made another two, isn't an argument that we should have further neglected the defence as well. It's an argument that David Hopkin is a moron who didn't have a clue what he was doing, as he was spending more than enough on attacking wages as it was to recruit real quality.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• 2 weeks later...

Get rid: everyone and everything available - including some of the ringers who signed new deals but might be BSC Glasgow's next big thing instead. 

Hybrid structure from next season with full-time training only for a select group of younger players - who might benefit from focusing on strength and stamina to compete in a man's game - and part-time training and contracts for the remainder of the squad only. No more pretending that these jobbers merit a fifteen year career from professional football: not until we're back attracting players who can trap, pass and finish a fucking ball. 

Now is the time for the new board to bite the bullet and put in place a more rational model than the current one, which has clearly failed. This will also need a new manager. 

38 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Get rid: everyone and everything available - including some of the ringers who signed new deals but might be BSC Glasgow's next big thing instead. 

Hybrid structure from next season with full-time training only for a select group of younger players - who might benefit from the extra strength and stamina to compete in a man's game - and part-time training and contracts for the remainder of the squad only. No more pretending that these jobbers merit a fifteen year career from professional football: not until we're back attracting players who can trap, pass and finish a fucking ball. 

Now is the time for the new board to bite the bullet and put in place a more rational model than the current one, which has clearly failed. This will also need a new manager. 

Couldn't agree more. 

Set up like a proper football club instead of failing Scottish cricket club. 

You can trouse everyone if you like but in reality..... 7 or so players need added to the squad.... we've not looked defensively shocking by any manner of means...add 2 good players in central and fullback positions.....midfield probably 3 good options.... and instead of paying peanuts add at least 2 proven goalscorer....with maybe a loan... I personally see a Duffy esc squad no problem....definitely not a relegation fighting squad....but there remains work to be done to even consider that position!!!

Archived