Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 52 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I didn't want to be too hard on Sterling while he was still with us, but frankly I am amazed that he managed to get signed by the likes of Tottenham. 

Is it really that amazing though? There is some power of shite attached to the academies down there. Ruben Sammut was Chelsea u23 captain ffs.

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Ok you were right, but I still say players should be given a chance before being written off / slated

There wouldn't have been a single fan who didn't give him a chance or hoped he was anything other than a rip-roaring success.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Alibi said:

I didn't want to be too hard on Sterling while he was still with us, but frankly I am amazed that he managed to get signed by the likes of Tottenham.  He showed virtually nothing in his time with us - maybe a wee bit of credit for putting in some effort against Inverness in our away win - but he's right up there with Jonathan Toto, Donovan Simmonds and a whole troop of other nonentities who have darkened our doors over the last 20 years. Sterling just looked plain uninterested, stood and watched when he should have been putting in challenges. Complete waste of whatever he cost us, and the same could be said for Johnson although I can't remember seeing him appearing before about the 85th minute.  As for Butler, is his raison d'etre to wake Mcpherson up with a cup of Earl Grey in the morning and iron his tracksuit?

Sterling goes back to Spurs and Mourhinho clears his desk. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I didn't see Sterling's lack interest as a particular issue, he did seem to try when he got his limited chances. His main problem was he just wasn't very good and was way too lightweight, meaning even jobber central defenders at our level could easily brush him aside. His one and only tangible attribute I could see was his ability to pick up free kicks around the edge of the box. This could have been a very useful asset if we had an attacking threat to take advantage of them, but of course we don't, so we didn't. 

22 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

Our recruitment this season has been shocking to say the least.

One thing that MCT need to prioritise on taking over is putting in place a system for player recruitment, whether that's a DoF role or simply a credible scouting network to identify and pass judgment on potential targets. 

The manager getting a call from an agent/his mate at Spurs and bringing in a lorryload of crap ringers is not sustainable. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

21 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Do you think Mauricio Pochettino was personally responsible for this transfer 'swoop'?

The M.O. of any large academy is to hoover up anyone and everyone who might be half decent at the earliest possible age and jettison the overwhelming majority who turn out to be dung along the way. 

Ok, maybe should have said that it was amazing he was still at Spurs at his relatively advanced age. Spurs fans seemed to agree as he was a serial loanee. However the surprise was just how mediocre he was and his apparent lack of interest in actually getting involved in the action.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 2/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, TRVMP said:

I'd have wanted us in for Jack Hamilton, who scored against us on Saturday, but we're not a big enough club to compete for signatures with the likes of Arbroath.

Another goal for him today.

Still, we got a guy with Champions League experience instead. Also Justin Johnson! And Whatshisname Butler!

I'm not bumping this to claim I'm Nostradamus; I'm bumping it to claim that happy clappers are never worth listening to about signings.

EOho8Pw.png

24 minutes ago, bigB said:

I would keep Marcus, Strapp,Hynes, McAdams, Ledger and McGuffie. The rest can jog on even the management tea.

I'd keep Lyon and Jacobs too.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

McGuffie might be the best of a bad lot of players in the attacking third but that's not good enough either. Bin the whole joblot of sand-dancers who have contributed to this mess.

The only player we should be seriously concerned about keeping is Strapp. On top of that, I'd be fine with having McAdams, Ledger, Fjortoft, Jacobs and Lyon next season but none of them are irreplaceable. 

The rest should be all out the door no questions asked, along with the coaching staff, board members, chairman and ownership. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

McGuffie might be the best of a bad lot of players in the attacking third but that's not good enough either. Bin the whole joblot of sand-dancers who have contributed to this mess.

The only player we should be seriously concerned about keeping is Strapp. On top of that, I'd be fine with having McAdams, Ledger, Fjortoft, Jacobs and Lyon next season but none of them are irreplaceable. 

The rest should be all out the door no questions asked, along with the coaching staff, board members, chairman and ownership. 

Rae should be flogged in front of a packed Cowshed then booted all the way down Sinclair St.

5 hours ago, RealTonKid said:

The way I'm feeling at the moment, I'd be inclined to enact a scorched-earth policy with the ownership, management, playing staff and tea lady all cleared out.

I thought in the hours since, my anger would've subsided, but I'm still in favour of wicker-manning the tea lady.

We should also bring back the Mortonosaurus mascot and burn the shanner replacement created by the discredited and failed Rae regime.

Dinosaurs (unquestionably) > cats to the football mascot's key demographic. 

It should be an anthropomorphic clabby dhu. Name's not important, call it Davis or something. The important thing is that it should run at full pelt at the opposing substitutes as they warm up and scream directly into their ears at the top of its voice. 

EOho8Pw.png

Good to see the latest Poundland Pulitzer focusing on real journalism tasks like getting hard answers from the manager about yesterday's incompetent display or from the club about the raging binfire behind the scenes that has put us in this position, rather than peddling worthless ITK gossip on social media. 

Archived