Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 47 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Ideally the next starting line up should in my opinion be:

Mcadams

Ledger fjortoft mclean strapp

Johnson lyons Jacobs mcguffie

Oliver sterling

We need to stop fucking about and actually try and win games. This is our best chance of doing that imo. Sterling is an unknown quantity but he has pace and I think Oliver needs someone like that up there with him. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Ideally the next starting line up should in my opinion be:

Mcadams

Ledger fjortoft mclean strapp

Johnson lyons Jacobs mcguffie

Oliver sterling

We need to stop fucking about and actually try and win games. This is our best chance of doing that imo. Sterling is an unknown quantity but he has pace and I think Oliver needs someone like that up there with him. 

I’d have Colville in there with Jacobs and Lyon. Not sure who I’d leave out.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

40 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I’d have Colville in there with Jacobs and Lyon. Not sure who I’d leave out.

I'd have Colville playing in off the right, with try the option of switching sides with McGuffie. Or go with a back 5, to play Colville in the middle. 

Not a back five again FFS. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

30 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If Strapp isn't fit to play then it's either that of Muirhead at left back, thanks to Hopkin deciding to make an absolute arse of building a squad. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

No, I'd rather not. I'd also rather not see us play with a lone striker. So I'd like to see Colville play in off the wing in a 4-4-1-1 instead of leaving him on the bench and continuing with Nesbitt out there. 

A 4-4-1-1 involves playing a lone striker, and I've seen no evidence that Colville would be effective on the right side of midfield.

You are Jim McInally and I claim my £20 prize. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

30 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A 4-4-1-1 involves playing a lone striker, and I've seen no evidence that Colville would be effective on the right side of midfield.

You are Jim McInally and I claim my £20 prize. 

I think most can read my meaning as not being a flat 4-4-2 but a striker supported by a slight deeper forward, like Oliver. Otherwise it would be more obvious for me to say to play Colville between the midfield and the lone striker, if that was the sense in which I meant 4-4-1-1 (which would end up being pretty much what we have already, although is say this had been more like 4-1-4-1). 

Colville has played in wider positions and has been as effective there as he had been in the centre, imo. He's got a good left foot, and whether playing on the right or switching to the left, he will have the chance to put in decent crosses and get into potential goalscoring positions. I'm not sure we'd get the best out of him in a deeper role in the centre 2 of a midfield 4 (although it might be helpful if I was wrong about that).

At this stage the only players I’m interested in having tied up for next season are Strapp, Lyon, Colville, Nesbitt & McAdams. My mind isn’t made up on Fjortoft, Ledger or McGinty yet.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

At this stage the only players I’m interested in having tied up for next season are Strapp, Lyon, Colville, Nesbitt & McAdams. My mind isn’t made up on Fjortoft, Ledger or McGinty yet.

Big question mark next to Nesbitt for me. He's regressed this season.

EOho8Pw.png

12 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Big question mark next to Nesbitt for me. He's regressed this season.

Nesbitt has been exasperating this season.  When he was first here a few seasons ago (was he on loan from Celtic?), he looked a decent prospect.  He can beat opponents but then he makes a pig's ear of passes or crosses.  If he had been able to not miss those two sitters away at Ayr and QoS, we'd be safe from relegation by now.  I don't actually know where he's meant to be playing half the time.  Clearly we're not getting the best out of him at the moment, although the tedious tactic of hoofing every ball up the park doesn't really help any of our midfielders.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

41 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Nesbitt has been exasperating this season.  When he was first here a few seasons ago (was he on loan from Celtic?), he looked a decent prospect.  He can beat opponents but then he makes a pig's ear of passes or crosses.  If he had been able to not miss those two sitters away at Ayr and QoS, we'd be safe from relegation by now.  I don't actually know where he's meant to be playing half the time.  Clearly we're not getting the best out of him at the moment, although the tedious tactic of hoofing every ball up the park doesn't really help any of our midfielders.

I also don't imagine he enjoys playing on the pitch at Cappielow. However, as you say, none of it excuses his end product, which has been costly for us this season. And it's nothing new. His end product was a problem in his season on loan with us, when he only managed a single goal all season (and didn't provide much at all in the way of assists either). He's a talented player, but if he doesn't start producing an end product he'll be playing part-time or in the Juniors sooner rather than later. 

As much as I like Nesbitt, it’s hard not to agree with the previous two posts. I still think he’s got all the attributes required to be a really good player but as time goes on it increasingly looks like it just isn’t really going to happen for him, and especially not at Morton.

There’s definitely an element of the eternal curse of a Morton jersey which has put paid to god knows many careers over the years and this current mess in particular isn’t really conducive to helping Aidan elevate his game, but it’s obviously something deeper with him that’s holding him back. I’d love to see him being able to fulfill his potential here but as it stands it’s looking like a move elsewhere would be the best outcome for all parties. He’s not going to get many more chances at a decent level, so hopefully he can sort himself out quickly.

AWMSC

Yeah I can’t disagree with any of that either. I was swaying on Nesbitt but I’ve maybe deluded myself into thinking we’re just not getting the best out of him, when he is in fact just a bang average Championship player. 

No idea if the plan is to let McPherson and Millen make decisions on offering contracts for next season or if we're going to wait around until the season ends for either a sporting director type appointment by MCT or a decision on a permanent manager in the summer, but you'd expect Hopkin is going to be chasing after Colville, McAdams and Jacobs at the very least. I know it's difficult when we don't know what division we'll be in, but we have to be getting offers on the table so they've at least got something to think about before they're signing pre-contracts elsewhere.

Colville, McGuffie and McAdams will also get us compensation if they're offered a contract elsewhere (as would Salkeld and Wallace...) so we need to offer them contracts at least 60 days before expiry to avoid another Tiffoney/Quitongo/Russell situation.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Apparently Hopkin has already been in contact with McAdams, Jacobs and Orsi talking about next season. 

We should automatically be offering McAdams a deal anyway because of his age, ensuring we are entitled to compensation should he leave. We absolutely should be making every effort we can to keep Jacobs. I'll drive Orsi down there myself.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

This is where the takeover causes problems.  If MCT as the putative new owners can't speak to players about extensions now, we could have a situation where we lose our best players due simply to uncertainty.  Not just Jacobs/Macadams but also Colville should be offered extensions.

Archived