Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 46 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

So what changed in the boardroom over the course of the week, given that the seaside leagues are not restarting any time soon?

Crawford abandoned his latest three year/one week plan and decided to search down the back of the Cappielow sofa to fund the winger who saves our season. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's as good as the other Hamilton reject we signed this season then I'll be happy enough. 

We may have 4 million wingers but there's no denying that we are not creating anywhere near enough chances so I'm intrigued to see how well he does. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

11 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Must sign Jacobs/Colville and Lyon on longer term deals. 

Agree, but Lyon must be really pissed off with being given practically no game time. Does McElhone really rate him lower than Blues and Omar?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

16 hours ago, Alibi said:

Agree, but Lyon must be really pissed off with being given practically no game time. Does McElhone really rate him lower than Blues and Omar?

Hopefully not. I think he’s giving Blues a run of games to win a contract, same as he’s done with McGuffie. Don’t agree with it personally as Lyon would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

12 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Hopefully not. I think he’s giving Blues a run of games to win a contract, same as he’s done with McGuffie. Don’t agree with it personally as Lyon would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

That might have some (limited) merit if we were sitting safely mid-table.  We're currently in 8th position with the team immediately below us, only 2 points behind, having a game in hand.  We need to have our strongest starting XI on the pitch every week - once we're three up (as if!), there might be some scope for allowing players to "win a contract".  It's maybe wrong to single out Blues to be replaced by Lyons as he's not actually the weakest link at the moment - Nesbitt has been dreadful recently but he seems to get a regular start.  Can be great to watch but at the moment he is not delivering the goods. Perm any of the many midfielder options in there, but Jacobs, Lyon & Colville should be three of the first picks every time. 

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

12 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

I doubt very much he is doing that at all.

Blues has been largely ahead of Lyon all season under Hopkin and now McElhone, bar a period when he was injured then hit with covid.

As wrong as it is, that seems to be their choice for whatever reason.

I'd be clearing most. Only keeps for me would be madams strapp lyon ledger(maybe) Jacobs Colville mcguffie n fjortoff although I think he's burnt his bridges after his tweets everyone else fired right into the Clyde 

30 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Bin them all apart from Jacobs, Fjortoft and Colville. Lyon and Strapp are already signed up. 

Seems harsh on McAdams based on most reports, given the shortage of goalkeepers in general at this level we could do a lot worse than retaining him. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Bin them all apart from Jacobs, Fjortoft and Colville. Lyon and Strapp are already signed up. 

I’d be happy to keep Macadams too, but other than that, agree. Maybe McGuffie.

McAdams, Fjortoft, Jacobs and Colville should be offered deals, while McGuffie is in the undecided pile and needs to show he can consistently maintain a run of form like this. If the decision was being made now I'd keep him, but we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

The others in the undecided category for me are Ledger, Nesbitt and Oliver.

Ledger is the epitome of mediocrity but we've been burned with so many right backs poorer than those dizzying heights that we could easily end up with worse, particularly in the now odds on event that we're in League One.

Nesbitt has shown he can be a good player in the past but this run of form has been appalling. If we were making the decision now he'd absolutely be punted but I'm still open to the prospect that an improvement in performances could win a deal. However with only 9 games to go and an obvious need to drop him for a few games, his time to do that is running out.

Oliver is another mediocrity and we might be as well just getting rid, but with the extent of the rebuild we have up front it might be worthwhile to keep the one forward we have who is capable of spells of basic competence, again particularly if we're in League One.

Can't really comment on Butler or Johnson yet, although the Butler situation is totally bizarre.

With Strapp and Lyon under contract and Sterling's loan expiring, that means punting:

McGinty, McLean, Blues, Omar, Millar, Salkeld, Orsi, Muirhead, Wallace

Maybe Wallace is actually the best player at the club and we've no idea - that is undoubtedly the most ridiculous signing Hopkin made - but of the players we've actually seen there I wouldn't keep any for League One, never mind the Championship.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The jury's out on players like Nesbitt and McGuffie, who have ability (and McGuffie has come up with important goals) but are too often way out on the peripheries of the game. But it doesn't help in games like the one yesterday. I've not been a massive fan of playing anything that ends up looking like a 4-5-1 (4-1-4-1) which happens more often than not when trying to play with a lone striker at our level. Nesbitt and McGuffie were pretty isolated out on the wings on a bumpy pitch, with Salkeld pretending to be a striker, Blues pretending to be a midfielder, and McGinty firing eye-melting passes to no-one. 

Get back to 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 with one of them (or Oliver) having a chance to play off a striker, and we'll get a better impression of their worth. 

Archived