Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 43 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Can’t help wondering why it’s taken more than half the season to sign a pub league keeper. 

In fairness, Sutton are in the National League (aka the Conference) and he seems to have been their first-choice 'keeper from the start of the 2016-17 season until midway through 2019-20, allowing for a three-month spell split between being totally out of the squad (injury?) and on the bench. So it's one level above where Sam Ramsbottom came from, and he was there for more than one season, meaning he must have something about him.

Whether or not he's up to it is anyone's guess but he's played almost 100 games at tier 5 level in England, which is at least slightly encouraging. You don't get to 100 appearances if you physically can't hold a football (like Rambottom).

A quick glance at the Sutton fans' forum indicates mixed opinions, but more positive than negative. Apparently he's had some injury woes and is short for a 'keeper (someone said that without tall center-backs in front of him, he'll struggle - good thing we have McGinty), but was recently Players' Player of the Year and, again, held down a starting spot for a good long time in a pretty tough league.

I'm not exactly 'helicoptering' at this signing but nor am I writing vague Facebook posts on a dark blue background.

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

In all likelihood, he will never play for us anyway.

Website missed a trick - they could have said he had international experience with England. He made an appearance for England C in 2016, England C being for players outside the top four divisions. The plucky Nigels lost 3-4 to Slovakia's under-23 team.

EOho8Pw.png

The Manager (on Ton TV) clearly knows and has done his due diligence on both his signings which gives them a positive outlook a Keeper coach or someone to take training with more experience than McAdam was always the way to go... Seems much better than Timmons closing his eyes and coming up with Ramsbottom from a little black book put it that way!

The vid showing him getting beat at his near post and rushing out like "the mad monk" makes you wonder?!?!

15 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Can’t help wondering why it’s taken more than half the season to sign a pub league keeper. 

Oooft, that's Old-Firm fan level of delusional self-grandeur to call the National League a 'pub league'. It's the fifth tier in England and I'd think most teams in it would be very comfortable in the Scottish Championship.

5 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Oooft, that's Old-Firm fan level of delusional self-grandeur to call the National League a 'pub league'. It's the fifth tier in England and I'd think most teams in it would be very comfortable in the Scottish Championship.

No they wouldn’t.

AWMSC

5 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Well of course it's only an opinion and not fact, but I'm fairly sure the top say 5 clubs in the English National League could easily hold their own in the Scottish Championship. 

That's a bit of a climb down from 'most of them'.

I do think most of them could hold their own, but I'm pretty much 100% certain the top 5 could.

Point being, if the English National League is a 'pub league' as you claim, the Scottish Championship can't be far off it as well. Pretty sure most if not all clubs in it are full-time, and both leagues are at the bottom level of the full-time professional game, so I'd say both are fairly comparable in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I do think most of them could hold their own, but I'm pretty much 100% certain the top 5 could.

Point being, if the English National League is a 'pub league' as you claim, the Scottish Championship can't be far off it as well. Pretty sure most if not all clubs in it are full-time, and both leagues are at the bottom level of the full-time professional game, so I'd say both are fairly comparable in terms of quality.

Given that there is far more money in English football, it stands to reason that their bottom of the professional game is a worse level than in Scotland, as more circles of dung can be handed a full-time deal.

A point that is underscored in thick, permanent marker by the fact that Andrew fucking Dallas has just scored a double in the first ten minutes for 'Weymouth' against 'Bromley' in that very division. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The National League is utter, utter garbage. People place League 2 quite far above the Championship as well in terms of quality which is wild, it’s a dreadful level of football and there isn’t much between that league and ours.

48 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

To be fair, the Scottish Championship isn't exactly La Liga either

I never said it was, but the fact is there’s very little between the divisions despite one having significantly more cash spread around it.

4 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Eh... yeah.... that was exactly my point. So if the English National League is a 'pub league' then so is our Championship.

Your original point was that most of the sides in that division would hold their own here, which is nonsense. I’m not trying to overhype the level we play at, but it's a better standard than a level Hayes & Yeading or something would stroll through. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

A point that is underscored in thick, permanent marker by the fact that Andrew fucking Dallas has just scored a double in the first ten minutes for 'Weymouth' against 'Bromley' in that very division. 

If you're going to point out individuals, our very own 'Sir' Gavin Gunning who stood out in the Championship and who would be welcomed back at Cappielow with open arms, has regularly plied his trade at or even lower than National League level with the likes of 'Billericay Town' (National League South), 'Solihull Moors' (National League), 'Gloucester City' (National League North), and currently 'Chesterfield Town' (National League).

35 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Your original point was that most of the sides in that division would hold their own here, which is nonsense. I’m not trying to overhype the level we play at, but it's a better standard than a level Hayes & Yeading or something would stroll through. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. By the way, I'm not dissing the standard of our Championship. In fact, for the second tier of a small country like Scotland, I believe it's actually pretty good. Better I think than the second tiers of comparable sized countries like Norway, Denmark and Finland. But to say it's a higher standard than the 5th tier of a country with more than 10 times the population is very debatable, to say the least.

But to get back to my original point, for a Morton fan to dismiss the English National League as 'pub league' shows a lack of self-awareness that's actually LOL ridiculous. 

Archived