Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 41 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But hang on, everyone was saying we would make no signings because of CR’s determination to hold onto the £500k grant for his own ends. Now this is quickly forgotten and it’s now how bad a signing we’ve made. The tradition of “football managers” on here to criticise Morton players has now extended to criticising them before they’ve kicked a ball for us!

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but we needed a natural centre forward and now we have one.

Add a sub goalkeeper and hopefully get Jacobs fit ahead of a must-win game on Saturday, then we can hopefully get all our best players on the park and pull ourselves out of trouble before this bad run turns into a total collapse.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

But hang on, everyone was saying we would make no signings because of CR’s determination to hold onto the £500k grant for his own ends. Now this is quickly forgotten and it’s now how bad a signing we’ve made. The tradition of “football managers” on here to criticise Morton players has now extended to criticising them before they’ve kicked a ball for us!

Don't know who you're referring to here but I've not seen that. What I've seen is McElhone saying last week that he's looking to bring in someone up the park, and a goalkeeper. He's now brought in one of those two things.

See here for example. I and several others acknowledged that we expect to see two signings, based on what the manager said. Who are these people saying we'd make literally none?

edit: Plus have you missed the part where we're down six wages on where we were in December? And you think we're not cutting the budget? Are you an actual cretin?

Meanwhile if you don't want to read people discussing Morton signings, maybe stay off Morton forums.

5 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I'm not saying that because he is on Spurs books he'll be brilliant and a future World Cup winner.

You only have to look at Shimmin, Sampayo, Simmonds and Newby amongst others to know that's not true.

What I am saying is, let's see how the boy does before throwing him on the proverbial scrapheap.

He might be good, he might not, this thread is for discussing signings. Nobody's throwing him on anything. They're speculating as to his chances, and it's that - speculation.

EOho8Pw.png

58 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Singing the Champions League theme in the shower is about as relevant an experience as this guy's two minutes against a bunch of raffia donkey salesmen.

In case you missed it while whistling the Champion League theme in the shower - I was not being serious. 

How much would a lad like that get paid at Spurs? I cannot imagine our contribution would make a dent in his wages.

4 minutes ago, HamCam said:

In case you missed it while whistling the Champion League theme in the shower - I was not being serious. 

How much would a lad like that get paid at Spurs? I cannot imagine our contribution would make a dent in his wages.

Depends. Can be a few hundred a week, can be four figures. No way of knowing without being ITK.

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Don't know who you're referring to here but I've not seen that. What I've seen is McElhone saying last week that he's looking to bring in someone up the park, and a goalkeeper. He's now brought in one of those two things.

See here for example. I and several others acknowledged that we expect to see two signings, based on what the manager said. Who are these people saying we'd make literally none?

edit: Plus have you missed the part where we're down six wages on where we were in December? And you think we're not cutting the budget? Are you an actual cretin?

Meanwhile if you don't want to read people discussing Morton signings, maybe stay off Morton forums.

He might be good, he might not, this thread is for discussing signings. Nobody's throwing him on anything. They're speculating as to his chances, and it's that - speculation.

Just have a read through the “Jim McAlister to retire thread” and you’ll see where I’m coming from. The player must’ve had something when he played and scored for England youths, and I think we should wait till we see him play for the Ton before we judge him.

1 minute ago, DreamOakTree said:

Just have a read through the “Jim McAlister to retire thread” and you’ll see where I’m coming from. The player must’ve had something when he played and scored for England youths, and I think we should wait till we see him play for the Ton before we judge him.

I've been active on that thread. The fate of the 500k is a separate discussion to there being literally no signings. I expect two signings, based on what McElhone said. And now we've got one of those two.

Again, obviously we can't judge how he'll do for Morton until he plays for Morton. That should literally go without saying.

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I've been active on that thread. The fate of the 500k is a separate discussion to there being literally no signings. I expect two signings, based on what McElhone said. And now we've got one of those two.

Again, obviously we can't judge how he'll do for Morton until he plays for Morton. That should literally go without saying.

Okay if you believed that McElhone could make those signings then fair enough, you’re not one of those I was referring to. Especially if we sign a keeper. My other point was that some people are judging him before he’s kicked a ball for us.

Just now, DreamOakTree said:

Okay if you believed that McElhone could make those signings then fair enough, you’re not one of those I was referring to. Especially if we sign a keeper. My other point was that some people are judging him before he’s kicked a ball for us.

So nobody can have an opinion on signings?

If we signed Edison Cavani tomorrow nobody would be allowed to say he's probably a good signing?

EOho8Pw.png

4 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

So nobody can have an opinion on signings?

If we signed Edison Cavani tomorrow nobody would be allowed to say he's probably a good signing?

I’m saying that to slaughter the guy’s career before he’s pulled on a Ton shirt is not being a Ton Supporter. Imagine the boy reads this thread! We have also brought players in before with similar doubts expressed, and they’ve just happened to click with us.

2 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’m saying that to slaughter the guy’s career before he’s pulled on a Ton shirt is not being a Ton Supporter. Imagine the boy reads this thread! We have also brought players in before with similar doubts expressed, and they’ve just happened to click with us.

No one is slaughtering him. Discussing the previous record of a guy most of us have never heard is what forums are for.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

If the grown man - he's not a boy - reads this thread then I can imagine he'd probably find some of the information to be incomplete, maybe even offensive. Certainly if I was in his shoes I'd find some of is disheartening and frustrating. I'd try to channel that positively, but that's not always easy. For this reason, I wouldn't be reading fans' forums about myself.

But I would also hope that he also realizes that literally everyone who has expressed an opinion on the matter wants him to be a great success for us, hopefully by starting with a demolition of Rovers on Saturday. And above all, given that he's a professional footballer, I assume he's heard people running their mouths before once or twice. He's played for Sunderland. Do you think it was all claps and kisses there?

EOho8Pw.png

59 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I'm not saying that because he is on Spurs books he'll be brilliant and a future World Cup winner.

You only have to look at Shimmin, Sampayo, Simmonds and Newby amongst others to know that's not true.

What I am saying is, let's see how the boy does before throwing him on the proverbial scrapheap.

Actually, you were trying to paint people who pointed out his record as being reactionary and negative.

It was in fact you and everyone else who was trying to downplay the legitimacy of the only factual and objective measure of his ability that exists, in favour of some pie in the sky assumption of his ability based on the reputation of the club he's contracted to, that were guilty of being reactionary.

15 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

If the grown man - he's not a boy - reads this thread then I can imagine he'd probably find some of the information to be incomplete, maybe even offensive. Certainly if I was in his shoes I'd find some of is disheartening and frustrating. I'd try to channel that positively, but that's not always easy. For this reason, I wouldn't be reading fans' forums about myself.

But I would also hope that he also realizes that literally everyone who has expressed an opinion on the matter wants him to be a great success for us, hopefully by starting with a demolition of Rovers on Saturday. And above all, given that he's a professional footballer, I assume he's heard people running their mouths before once or twice. He's played for Sunderland. Do you think it was all claps and kisses there?

I don’t disagree with any of the above, we could just be the club where he shines, it’s happened before with players like Brian Wake, Alan Mahood, Jim Holmes etc. who just seemed to find a home at Cappielow.

Archived