Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 40 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Quote from a Southend fan on our twitter labelled him 'disinterested.'

Southend are apparently back in for Nile Ranger so I'm assuming they're a total basket case at the moment. If we can get the best out of him, that would be ideal. Perhaps Anton has some ideas up his sleeve.

Having never seen this guy play, I'm nonetheless going to stick my neck out and say he's not a classic number 9.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Behave! None of us thought we would sign anyone in the window and we go and sign someone none of us have ever heard of with Champions League experience. Look at it from the other side: Jose - Get you kit Kaziah you are heading out on loan to the best team in Greenock. Mind and pack your thermals.

We're signing a player who wasn't good enough for a side in England that's marooned at the bottom of a league that contains sides such as "Barrow" and "Harrogate Town". 

I'm such a sadact that I registered for the Southend forum. (You need to register to read it.) There's a thread from the middle of January, when he went back to Spurs. Reactions range from (paraphrasing) "he was a complete waste of space and will drop to non-league" to "there are flashes of talent, he had some very good moments, but overall it just didn't work out. With a run of games perhaps he will improve."

Let's very much hope that it's the latter. I mean, obviously not the same exact situation, but Shankland didn't have the best loan spell at Morton, but a change of scenery saw him totally reinvented. Stranger things have happened.

17 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Behave! None of us thought we would sign anyone in the window and we go and sign someone none of us have ever heard of with Champions League experience. Look at it from the other side: Jose - Get you kit Kaziah you are heading out on loan to the best team in Greenock. Mind and pack your thermals.

Singing the Champions League theme in the shower is about as relevant an experience as this guy's two minutes against a bunch of raffia donkey salesmen.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, Hej said:

We're signing a player who wasn't good enough for a side in England that's marooned at the bottom of a league that contains sides such as "Barrow" and "Harrogate Town". 

Who did you expect Neymar?

Morton are where we are at the moment and like others I didn't expect any signings at all.

And the will be the same Harrogate Town that the much lauded (and goalless) Josh McPake went to.

Let's see how the guy fares before slaughtering him. Eh

13 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Southend are apparently back in for Nile Ranger so I'm assuming they're a total basket case at the moment. If we can get the best out of him, that would be ideal. Perhaps Anton has some ideas up his sleeve.

Having never seen this guy play, I'm nonetheless going to stick my neck out and say he's not a classic number 9.

From one basket case club to another then 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Just now, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I'd have wanted us in for Jack Hamilton, who scored against us on Saturday, but we're not a big enough club to compete for signatures with the likes of Arbroath.

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I'd have wanted us in for Jack Hamilton, who scored against us on Saturday, but we're not a big enough club to compete for signatures with the likes of Arbroath.

Exactly, me too, but as I said we are what we are just now and we, as fans, have to remember that.

Hopefully the transfer of ownership will go smoothly.and we can start to climb back to the club we have been in the, now, distant past.

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Exactly, me too, but as I said we are what we are just now and we, as fans, have to remember that.

I'm not knocking the player, nor Anton's using his contacts (presumably) to land such a player. Generally I'm in favor of using other clubs' youth systems, since the big clubs tend to have very good training and coaching, and turn out far more prospects than they'll ever use. Fred being a perfect example.

But I'd expect a full-time, professional club to be able to compete with clubs like Arbroath, particularly off the back of the Scottish Government funding. (I do not want us to spunk it on a bunch of overpaid superstars. To be very clear about that.) Instead we're the latest stop in a young forward's tumble down the divisions. It's not a good look at all to be crowing about this as a Champions League-level signing.

EOho8Pw.png

4 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

This has nothing to do with levels though. If we had the opportunity to get Hamilton we should’ve took it instead. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

This has nothing to do with levels though. If we had the opportunity to get Hamilton we should’ve took it instead. 

I had been told by a very good source that we were signing a forward last Tuesday.

Who's to say that player wasn't Hamilton and that he decided to go elsewhere instead for whatever reason.

This, I suppose, we'll never know.

I suppose 1 positive thing other than us actually signing a player is Anton clearly still has connections at spurs and if youd have said we'd have signed a player from spurs on January 1st.... youd no doubt have been hounded off here!!!

Let's see what the boy can do. Any fool can reem off negative stats but this league hardly loaded with world beating teams, talent or Baresi type centre halves!! Its loaded with the exact opposite in all honesty.

The boy Rangers signed from Spurs on loan looked much better in this league than he proved elsewhere.

A league like this lacking in real quality might just be where the boy starts firing. Time will tell🤐

9 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I had been told by a very good source that we were signing a forward last Tuesday.

Who's to say that player wasn't Hamilton and that he decided to go elsewhere instead for whatever reason.

This, I suppose, we'll never know.

Can't have been a very good source then, seeing as we signed fuck all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

30 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

I suppose 1 positive thing other than us actually signing a player is Anton clearly still has connections at spurs and if youd have said we'd have signed a player from spurs on January 1st.... youd no doubt have been hounded off here!!!

Let's see what the boy can do. Any fool can reem off negative stats but this league hardly loaded with world beating teams, talent or Baresi type centre halves!! Its loaded with the exact opposite in all honesty.

The boy Rangers signed from Spurs on loan looked much better in this league than he proved elsewhere.

A league like this lacking in real quality might just be where the boy starts firing. Time will tell🤐

Well, obviously we're going to see what he can do. Obviously everyone wants him to be a success. But there's very little to go off at the moment other than his reputation elsewhere in the senior game, which doesn't look great.

And plenty of people who aren't Scottish continually underestimate our league - Dave Timmins being the perfect example, thinking some absolute jobber from "Alfreton Town" could keep goal in what is, despite appearances to the contrary, actually not that bad a level of football.

Meanwhile Nicky Cadden went from being a stand-out in our division to a stand-out in the one that Sterling just came from - with a side at the correct end of the table, too. Josh McPake, often criticized on here for a lack of end product, has also already scored in that league (see here, around 35 seconds in.) That's something he didn't do at either Dens or Cappielow.

Plus, it's a pretty shan way of bigging up the guy to say "everyone he's playing against is crap." Now if he isn't a success, you've pretty much said he can't compete at a rubbish level of football. Frankly that's a lot more insulting than looking at his stats.

I for one am not saying this guy is going to be bad. I've said explicitly that a change of pace can be good for players and maybe this will be where he kicks on and becomes a success. But saying "hur hur the Championship's crap and he played for Spurs!" is absolutely meaningless.

edit: Another thing on McPake. Was just looking at the player ratings for Harrogate's 2-2 draw at Salford. He was one of a few players to get 8/10. One of the others was Josh Falkingham, who was good for Dunfermline in the Scottish third tier. You think Southend are so massively above Morton? I strongly disagree. I think the SPFL Championship is significantly better than people like you do.

EOho8Pw.png

19 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

Yeah, because our last signing who left Spurs found this league a skoosh and went on to greatness...

Let's hope he's fares better than Jake Nicholson did.

Archived